“Fabulous show!”

P.T. Murphy Magic Theatre
Ranked #2 of 45 things to do in Galena
More attraction details
Owner description: Open all year round! Matinees and evenings. Enjoy an evening of mystery hosted by critically acclaimed magician P.T. Murphy. The setting for this evening of illusion is P.T. Murphy's private 24-seat theatre. In the heart of historic downtown Galena, IL. Built in the 1840's this is the perfect location to experience the mysteries of an ancient art up close and right before your very eyes! P.T. Murphy believes in magic. It's his job. He will entertain, mystify and inspire you to believe! P.T. Is known for his personable style, mischievous sense of humor and sophisticated sleight of hand that the Chicago Reader called "An evening that shows magic to its best advantage, up close and personal!" He is the co-creator of Chicago's long running hit show The Magic Cabaret which the Travel Channel hailed as "One of America's Best Magic Shows!". Advance purchase is recommended. Shows do sell out. Approved for ages 13 and up. Run Time: 65 minutes. No intermission. Parking is available in the downtown area.
Reviewed January 2, 2014

I have to say the evening I went to this show was by far one of the most entertaining I have ever spent. I've seen A LOT of theater in my day, but willingly admit I have not seen many magic shows. However, I have what I consider to be pretty tough standards when it comes to being drawn in to any kind of show, and P.T. Murphy absolutely exceeded those standards. He was warm, funny, engaging, had a bit of an edge, but at the same time made you feel as if you had known him for years. As if in some way, you were old friends. His magic is not to be believed. I was seated in the front row of what to me would be considered a relatively small theater - not tiny by any means, but still pretty intimate. When I tell you my jaw dropped several times I am not exaggerating. I was so close, and still could not figure out how he was implementing those tricks. Amazing. I don't get into Galena very often. In fact, the weekend I saw this show was my first trip to Galena, seeing this show just added to my desire to go back. It added to the charm and fun of the visit. And when I do return, I'll definitely be seeing this show again.

PTMurphyMagic, Owner at P.T. Murphy Magic Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Thank you for your kind words. We love when people share their thoughts. Especially when they are this nice. :) We hope to see you again.

There are newer reviews for P.T. Murphy Magic Theatre

Reviewed December 14, 2013

I got two tickets expecting to see non-stop hard-core, entertaining magic. Instead, was a show where P.T. Murphy interacts with the audience (so much to the point that its irritating), attempts to be funny, yaps and yaps and yaps some more, and performs a few magic tricks. The magic was second rate, and I would assume he can do a lot better. At one point he cracked a joke about how we were all paying $25 for this show (shocker?). At another point, he pretended to drink hard liquor out of a bottle as part of his magic trick.

We spend many weekend in Galena (from Chicago), so we're definitely part-timers. I was hoping the show would be better so that I could see it again sometime. As it is, I was thoroughly irritated with this show and his 'magic' and his attempt at humor and pretend drinking on stage. Galena is a fun place to visit, but at this rate, people won't come back!

2  Thank Kay P
Patrick Thomas M, Owner at P.T. Murphy Magic Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded June 1, 2017

*Since this review was posted three years ago, we have found out that it was originally posted by a "rival" business in Galena. We have tried to have this review removed, but to no avail. We will not call out the business here on TripAdvisor as we don't want to get involved in the ongoing drama surrounding that business. Here is the response we posted when we thought this review was from real live customer. Enjoy!

***PTMurphyMagic, Owner at P.T. Murphy Magic Theater, responded to this review, Dec 16, 2013
We take great pride in the overwhelmingly positive reviews we have received from TripAdvisor travelers. We are sorry that you did not have a positive experience, but we thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts. Please allow us to clarify a few important things for anyone reading these reviews. This magic show is definitely not "hard-core" and it is not "non-stop". Galena is a family friendly destination and we want everybody who attends the show to feel comfortable and enjoy themselves. The show does not include colorful boxes, flash bombs, loud music or half naked dancing girls. (That would be Las Vegas!) The show as advertised is an intimate, up close experience, where the audience is part of the show. This year's show may not have been your cup of tea, but PLEASE contact us when you return next year. We would love for you see us again. And this time your tickets are on us! We are confident that we will AMAZE you. Best to you! --- P.T. Murphy and Company

Reviewed December 3, 2013

PT Murphy is a master magician. What you'll find unique about his performance is his story telling. I'd call his presentation theatrical because of his entertaining narrative combined with illusions. The show we attended involved different audience members which made the event more interactive.
Galena is a very quaint town. Outside of bars and restaurants we found night time activities limited. That's why we were excited to find PT's show. We were nervous it would be kid focused.
In fact, every adult in the room was thoroughly entertained.
Plan your visit to Galena when he happens to be performing. It will make your Galena experience that much richer!
Mark & Susie

PTMurphyMagic, Owner at P.T. Murphy Magic Theatre, responded to this reviewResponded December 15, 2013

Thanks!

Reviewed November 17, 2013

My wife and three daughters and I saw the show in July. It was excellent! Mr. Murphy kept us engaged and entertained the entire time. I still can't figure out how he accomplished the tricks.

There are only a few shows left, on Nov. 23rd, 29th and 30th. Do yourself a favor and see his show!

Thank you for your review.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Took my wife and kids to this show. It was amazing! He is very family-friendly, and the show is very kid-appropriate. GREAT JOB!

Thanks for your review!