“Best B&B Experience Yet!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Victorian Mansion

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Victorian Mansion
Ranked #26 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“Best B&B Experience Yet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2011

The Victorian Mansion is a special place both for its historical background as well as the Inn Keepers who treat this landmark like their own and their guests like family. I cannot say enough wonderful things about this place. We were greeted in the evening and shown our beautiful room which was clean and elegant. In the mornings we would have breakfast as a group (bed and breakfast style). The food was amazing. It was not your standard fair and everything was homemade and delicious. We lucked out with a great group of guests.

A highlight from our trip was learning about the history of the house and Galena. Charlie and Rita took the time to tell us everything they knew and we ended up spending 2 hours talking to this couple. They are so proud of the house, its history and the history of the town. They have such amazing backgrounds and they are ready and willing to open up their lives and their experiences to you. I know I have said this before but it really felt like we were visiting family without feeling obligated to do everything with them. There are not intrusive AT ALL and will give you as much or as little attention as you need.

We ended up getting engaged that weekend at the mansion and in the morning we were able to celebrate this life experience with Charlie, Rita and the other guests. It was hugs all around.

If you are looking at different bed and breakfasts I can tell you this has everything you need. It is beautiful, clean, historical, just a short walk to the main street, the food is amazing and the positive attitudes are infectious. I am so grateful to have stayed here. It shaped the memory of my engagement weekend and now I will always have this wonderful place to return to.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
Roselle, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2010

This was our first stay at the Victorian Mansion. Rita and Charlie are the innkeepers. They were very friendly and made you feel at home. The breakfasts they prepared were excellent. The hash browns and stuffed french toast were just great! The guest rooms and the mansion in general were both neat and clean. The hard work they invest in the daily upkeep up the mansion is very evident. Both my husband and I enjoyed the company of Rita and Charlie and our stay at the mansion. We plan on returning for future stays.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Crystal Lake, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 4, 2010

This trip was a surprise for me (HUGE Jane Austen/historical fiction fan) and when we drove up to the mansion, my first impression was awe. I was overwhelmed with the beauty of it, not only how well maintained the building was, but also the gardens...I couldn't believe I actually got to spend a couple of days in this magnificent place. One glance at woodwork and fixtures, fireplaces and furniture, and you are transported back to a place back in time when ladies and gentlemen dressed for dinner. You start to imagine who'd been there, and then Charlie and Rita, the Innkeepers, come in to regale you with the history you've been wondering about over wine and cheese. Charlie: charming, calm, kind, WONDERFUL storyteller. Rita: warm, welcoming, engaging, OUTSTANDING cook. Together, these two and the fabulous mansion they obviously love made my stay in Galena a memorable one. They gave us recommendations for dinner AND coupons for it (I'm kind of a food snob) and informed us of particularly good shows which really shaped our otherwise unplanned stay. The recommendations were excellent. When we arrived (we were the first guests to do so that day), Charlie was kind enough to give us a tour of the whole mansion, letting us peek at all the rooms. I LOVED my room (I stayed in the one whose private bath is down the hall). At first I didn't know if that would bother me or not, but as the weekend wore on I realized that going down the hall to the bathroom made me feel like the house was mine, a very cool feeling. I felt like Jane Eyre. :) I loved the bedding...the sheets were good quality, as was the blanket, baffled, very soft, seemed like something out of a Garnet Hill catalog. Beautiful quilt on top. My pillow was AWESOME...I am usually someone who brings her own pillow and I was lamenting the fact that I'd forgotten mine...no worries. Turned out I didn't need it, and probably wouldn't have used it had I brought it! At one point my friend and I just spent a couple hours reading in the formal parlor...each chair had a throw and lighting (perfect). I couldn't have been more comfortable at my own home, and when Rita noticed us there she seemed delighted that we were taking advantage of the mansion's common rooms. I will definitely return for more of what Galena offers, and I will return to the Victorian Mansion. Charlie and Rita, if you're reading this, I miss you guys already!!! Maybe we'll come back for Christmas?????? :) :)

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
chicago, il
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 22, 2010

This is a beautiful home and the innkeepers are trying hard. They still have a few wrinkles to iron out though, like extra blankets, wastebaskets and skimpy food portions. To me, it wasn't worth the money ($195 per night plus a hefty, more than 10% room tax). There are lots of other B&B's in Galena.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank allecat
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2010

This was my first time staying at a Bed & Breakfast and I think this place set the bar very high for others I may visit in my lifetime. Charlie and Rita (the Innkeepers) were so wonderful and went above and beyond to make their guests feel welcome and an insist friend. The mansion itself was so beautiful and well kept. Everything was so clean from the inside as well as the outside gardens. I toured a couple other B&B's in the area, but this one had the best location and I was very pleased that I was staying there. It is located on a quiet street and still very close to downtown, which is perfect. I can't say enough good things about it! I would definitely go back.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
Hume, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2010

Charlie and Rita.... We had a wonderful time staying with you last week. Not only is the historical mansion beautiful and the rooms are comfy and spacious, we now feel like we have a home to come to when we stay in Galena. Just in the short time we were together we feel we have met friends for life. Being Innkeepers ourselves we know what it takes to keep a B and B productive and welcoming and you two go far and beyond that duty. We are so looking forward to our next little getaway to your beautiful home. We hope to see you in the near future.
Marsha and Jeff

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 16, 2010

My sister and I made our first trip to Galena this past weekend. We had both talked to Rita and Charlie, the Innkeepers, before we arrived and I was hoping they were as friendly in person as they had been on the phone...I wasn't disappointed. They met us and welcomed us into their home as if we were friends. The history and stories of the Victorian Mansion they shared with us over wine and cheese were much better than some of tours we took of other mansions. They recommended restaurants for us to try and the Jim Post Mark Twain show and we were not disappointed! Breakfasts were mouth watering. My sister and I loved their sense of humor and by the time we left we felt as if we had indeed made new friends. The Mansion was clean and uncluttered. The gardens were beautiful and well kept. The iced tea was so refreshing after a long day of shopping and site seeing. We will definitely go back again and look forward to seeing them again.

• Stayed June 2010