“Very Nice Stay”

Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed October 7, 2010

Stayed three nights on a recent first-ever visit to Galena. Hotel is very clean with a very nice view from the Library. During the week we received a complimentary breakfast which is scones, a muffin, an orange and bagel in a basket you can eat in the Library or Pub, or they'll deliver to your room. Weekends they have a buffet they serve in the Pub. The room...bathroom was small, but the shower had plenty of hot water and power. King bed was very comfortable. Plenty of towels. Very nice and unique furnishings with many Irish prints by Roisen O' Shea, Pub is gorgeous, crafted in Dublin with an excellent selection of Irish whiskies. Also got to see the Irish dancers and they are wonderful. Very impressed with this hotel and the Galena area.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SpartyIndianapolis

Reviewed September 18, 2010

My wife and I spent our 45th anniversary weekend here last month. We wanted a place befitting a long and happy marriage and the Irish Cottage Hotel delivered beautifully. Despite being fairly large, the hotel manages to convey a sense of actually being in Ireland with its decorating scheme, friendly staff, Irish entertainment in the dining room, and art work. Our guest suite was very large and the hotel was whisper quiet. Definitely lived up to our hopes for a setting equal to the occasion.

One suggestion for romantic travelers, however: find someplace else to eat when the Irish dancers and singers are entertaining, especially the dancers. Those clogs pounding on the floor planks was not conducive to either conversation or enjoying dinner. The singing group was not so hot the nights we were there either.

Reviewed September 18, 2010

Took a quick getaway to Galena for the first time. The Irish Cottage Hotel was a nice choice for the weekend. The staff was very helpful with all my questions. The pool area was lovely (the water was a tad cold, but otherwise delightful). Stopped in the bar for a cocktail-nice atmosphere-wish we would have had more time there. The breakfast on the weekends was a very nice addition.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The somewhat premium price does place this hotel in the boutique category, but don't expect any delightful or unusual decorating and features in the accommodations. The king room could be a king room in any decent chain hotel, where the three or four prints on the wall just happen to be reproductions of Irish landscape watercolors.

The real boutique atmosphere is in the attached pub which reportedly was dismantled in Ireland and reassembled on the premises. If only some of its charm could be reproduced in the guest rooms.

Although the outside of the building is pleasingly designed to resemble a row of buildings in Ireland of another century, the effect is diluted by the large paved parking lot that surrounds on all four sides. The building is also set away from the highway in a depression, which not only affords no view of the rolling landscape the area is known for, but also makes cell phone reception (as in AT&T) spotty. The wi-fi worked perfectly, however.

The staff is quite friendly and attentive, and on weekends there is a choice of complimentary hot breakfast items as well as continental breakfast.

I can't not recommend this hotel, because there is nothing wrong with it and it does indeed have some charming aspects, but if Kimpton is the standard by which you measure your boutique hotel rooms you'll be disappointed.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I were celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary this past weekend in
Galena and stayed at the Irish Cottage. what a delightful surprise: hotel staff were especially attentive and friendly, our room was awesome, comfortable, and very clean!
We loved the beautiful rich woodwork and glasswork-especially in the pub/resturant-all made in Ireland and shipped to the US. If you don't know what a "snug" is, you'll have to come and find out! Food was delicious-especially the full breakfast on the weekends.
They helped make our few cherished days a wonderful memory to last a lifetime.

Reviewed August 24, 2010

My husband and I traveled to Galena, IL for our second wedding anniversary. Our tradition is to have one meal of fish 'n' chips. We chose to stay at the Irish Cottage hotel for this purpose. It turned out to be better than expected. The rooms were gorgeous, the staff was super friendly and very helpful, the pub was great, the food was delicious and the celtic dancers were an added bonus! We would stay here again, in a heartbeat. This hotel made our trip extra special.

Reviewed August 23, 2010

I don't know how anyone could have written a bad review of this hotel. My husband & I loved it there. The rooms were clean, the beds & pillows soft and inviting! But, what really got me was the excellent level of service that we received while staying there.
The gal at the front desk couldn't have been nicer! She was awesome as was the other gentleman there and the guy in the pub who was both our waiter at lunch and the host at dinner that night.
My husband and I threw my mom & dad a 50th Anniversary party a couple of weekends ago, and my husband hurt his back lifting something for it. I wanted to take him somewhere quiet and relaxing and this place fit the bill. I wanted a bottle of wine sent to our room and even though I didn't have time to call the hotel back, they went out of their way to get that for us. I just can't find any way to thank them enough.
The pool and spa were very nice & clean and we had that all to ourselves during the day.
The food at Frank O'Dowd's Pub was very good and the wine and drink selection wonderful. My husband and I both had a chocolate flake martini for dessert and it was awesome!
I awoke the next morning at about 6:00 to the smell of coffee brewing and fresh scones baking! It was torture waiting for my husband to get up so we could go to breakfast! The breakfast was also very good! I was sad to leave this place, because we had such a good time. Please stay there! It's worth every penny!