WINNER WONDERLAND

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
“Perfection”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2007

My thirsty daughter and I dropped into the pub late on a meandering day trip in the country. Loved the atmosphere and charming hosts and stayed for food, then decided to spend the night. I'm very picky (a Virgo) but couldn't find a single thing to criticize except that maybe the strawberry tall cake for dessert was so big that the two of us had to share it. Premises are clean as new, with outstanding quality and decor. I enjoyed relaxing in the cozy library with its basket of apples. Our room must be soundproof because I never heard a sound from anywhere in the hotel. I'm such a light sleeper that I wear ear plugs and in most other hotels I can still hear the newspaper being delivered in the morning, but I didn't at the Irish Cottage. Yes, there was a newspaper at the door in the morning. Continental breakfast with fresh fruit was more than sufficient and very tasty--especially the scones. Great value for reasonable prices!

• Liked — Great care taken with every detail to make the experience the best it can be.
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank pjbjd

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Des Moines, Iowa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 27, 2007

We stayed at the Irish Cottage for 3 nights beginning Jan. 23rd.
We had a Kinsal Queen Suite which was $99.00 a night booked on their website. If you book directly with the hotel the rate is $129. The room had 2 queen beds, a refrigerator, microwave, and a small loveseat and chair. It also had a table and chair with an internet connection. The room was average as far as hotel rooms go. A basket breakfast is included in the room rate - this consists of a basket with 2 scones, 1 large bagel, jam, butter, (no cream cheese) orange juice, 1 banana, 1 orange and 2 breakfast cereal bars.
The Irish cottage common areas; the lobby, front desk, large library and pub were all handcrafted in Ireland and shipped to Galena. They are quite impressive. The hotel also has a small gift shop with items from Ireland.
There is a small pool and 5 person jacuzzi on the lower lever along with a Day Spa which offered a full range of massages, hair cuts, pedicures and manicures along with spa products.
Prices for massaged ranged from $60 - $120.
We have stayed in several other hotels in Galena and would probably chose another one over the Irish Cottage for our next stay.

Stayed January 2007
5 Thank marilynm4310
Chicago
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2007

Looked like a quaint place to stay, so we booked the night there. We had previously stayed in galena at eagleridge. Checked in Saturday night, clerk was short with us. After we returned to the hotel from shopping in Galena, we made the mistake of going into the lounge. It was a busy Saturday night, and the place was hopping. We sat at the bar 10 minutes before the girl (looked hawaiin), came over to us. My girlfriend asked for a drink recommendation, and the girl said, "I don't know" in a rude way. I ordered our drinks, and 5 minutes later she got them. It was now about 11 p.m. After she got our drinks, she told us she was making last call. The place was full and the sign in front says they close at 1a.m. Sure enough, she makes last call. 10 minutes later, she started flicking the lights on and off and says they are closing. I was shocked, so I went to the front desk to a different clerk. I asked if I could speak with a manager, any manager, and he said there wasn't one around. He told me I could talk to one the next day, if I had an issue. My issue was that I did not encounter one nice person during my stay, so I won't be back.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — service staff
  • Stayed October 2006, traveled as a couple
11 Thank golfinggoof
Chicago, Illinois
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2007

A good friend and I just got back from a relaxing weekend at the Irish Cottage (our husbands sent us there as a gift for Christmas). The hotel is decent - clean, pleasant staff, good breakfast.

Unfortunately, the spa services were not worth the price. As a regular spa-goer, the massage and facial were not as expected. The deep tissue massage ($95) was more of an application of lotion while the facial was relaxing but not the typical ($85). Perhaps try the spa at Eagle Ridge Resort just down the street.

The hotel is close to the downtown area and only 25 min. from the Dubuque, IA casino (highly recommend as they had $3 and $5 blackjack tables!).

• Liked — ambiance
  • Disliked — spa
  • Stayed January 2007, traveled with friends
4 Thank Frankie28
Chicago
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2006

My girlfriend and I just returned from a night at the Irish Cottage and I will make one recommendation if you have the means: book the Brian Boru suite. While the rest of the hotel is very nice (fun and lively pub, small but adequate fitness center, nice spa) the Boru suite was amazing! For what a decent room at a downtown hotel in Chicago will cost you, the Boru suite includes two huge rooms, a two-person shower with four shower heads and a steamer, an in-room jacuzzi, two TVs, a DVD/CD player, a huge four-poster bed, and two complimentary bottles of wine.

As for other observations, the complimentary continental breakfast was nice, the staff was friendly and accomodating, and there is free parking. The one drawback I would list is that the hotel is outside of the downtown area (5 minute drive) where all of the shops and restaurants are located.

• Stayed November 2006, traveled as a couple