“A World Away!”

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Huntley, Illinois
“A World Away!”
Reviewed October 27, 2008

From the moment we stepped through the doors, we knew this was going to be a grand experience. The decorating is very warm and inviting; especially the library. We could hear the music from the pub and the strong beat of clogging shoes on the wood floor. We hurried to our room so we could have dinner and enjoy the entertainment. The food was very comforting and reasonably priced. The service was good and the drinks were fabulous. (Pumpkin Pie Martini). Neither my husband or I are Irish,but we felt we could be for the weekend. Our room was well appointed and the shower was awesome! The Hotel is located very close to town so it was just a few minutes to historic attractions and shopping. All in all, it was a "Sweetest Day Weekend" to remember.

• Liked — The quality of the rooms and restaurant.
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (188)
sioux city
Reviewed October 22, 2008

When we checked in, we were informed that our room had been upgraded at no extra cost. Wow was it ever. We were in the top suite of the hotel (Brian Braer) It had everything a person could have thought of. We didn't want to leave.
This was my second time staying here and not my last. Thank you for the fantastic night in Galena.

• Liked — The room was better than anything I had ever stayed in! The spa was great also.
  • Disliked — There were none
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Oak Lawn IL
Reviewed October 8, 2008

My husband & I ran away to Galena to celebrate our anniversary. We stayed at the Irish Cottage and loved it. The staff couldn't do enough to make our 3 days enjoyable. They were most attentive and friendly. We had a beautiful room with a lovely view of the countryside. The continental breakfast was tasty and more than sufficient, which we ate gazing out over the beautiful landscapes. And the pool was great. We had it to ourselves. This was our first stay at the Irish Cottage, but it will not be our last. We had a marvelous and fun time. We highly recommend this inn to everyone.

• Liked — The room was spacious and comfortable.
  • Disliked — Nothing really.
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 29, 2008

We recently stayed at this hotel and when you see the words boutique in the name you assume it will be quaint. This hotel is like a standard chain hotel with a pub. We were very disappointed in the quality of the room for $227 a night. The furnishings are very plain. I have stayed in nicer Hampton Inns with better bedding and decor. My advise is to spend your money someplace else. Not worth the cost.

1 Thank Bsyone39
Chicago, IL
Reviewed September 28, 2008

Based on other reviews that I have read, I thought this hotel was really overrated. We stayed in a room with a King size bed, and I felt like I was at a Super 8 hotel. For $200 a night, I would have rather stayed at a nice BandB or Eagle RIdge. Service was poor, and the front desk staff was not really too pleasant. Plus, they asked us to pay for the room up front. Having stayed at many hotels, this seemed very strange to me. I don't remember having to do this before.

It's supposedly a non smoking hotel. Our room smelled like smoke, as did the hallway and stairs. It's right off Highway 20, and unless you book a suite, you will be facing the highway. And it's just far enough from downtown that walking didn't seem that appealing.

Macomb, IL
Reviewed September 20, 2008

I would have gotten this in sooner but I had to spend some time recuperating from all the fun I had at this wonderful hotel. Last weekend three of my girlfriends and I took advantage of the Ladies' Getaway Weekend package and had the time of our lives! The number one thing that sets the Irish Cottage apart from all the other hotels in Galena is EXCEPTIONAL hospitality. From the moment we walked in the door we were welcomed with enthusiastic and unrealistically friendly staff and throughout our stay were treated with utmost regard that never waned. John, the general manager, was always readily available to assist the guests during the weekend activities and offer wonderful suggestions about sightseeing the town. The hotel owners Jack and Basil took on the roles of down-to-earth gracious hosts who made our weekend their top priority. Each member of the staff was knowledgeable and had a unique charm all their own. The one thing they all had in common was the effortless ability to go above and beyond their duties to ensure each and every guest had an enjoyable stay. Our rooms were very neat and clean and comfortably sized. If you get the chance to stay on the weekend, we strongly suggest you take advantage of the spa (and visit Barbara Turner, THE massage therapist to see) and the pub which features free entertainment and REALLY good food! They also host tarot card readings by Two Tarot Ladies on Friday and Saturday nights, for those of you looking for something out of the ordinary. Booking online was a breeze. And I was very pleasantly surprised that our online confirmation price matched EXACTLY to our check-in rate. Everything in our package was received as promised, per person. There were no last minute gratuities or hidden fees anywhere.
Thanks to everyone at the Irish Cottage for giving four stressed out, workaholic, very family oriented women the relaxing yet fun-filled time away we so desperately needed! You exceeded our expectations and we look forward to visiting you again next year!

• Liked — Activites provided at hotel
  • Disliked — Location - no sidewalks to walk into town
  • Stayed September 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank tiger_lilly56
Urbandale
Reviewed September 5, 2008

One year ago Labor Day weekend our older sister passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. We were (3) sisters who now found ourselves as (2) and as the anniversary of her death approached found ourselves lost without our older and wiser sister. My younger sister lives in Florida but returned to Iowa to be with our family. We three girls had enjoyed several memorable weekends enjoying girl talk and sisterhood at your hotel over the years. So where else to return to on this special but melancholy time. We (2) sisters spent a peaceful and relaxing week-end right back in Galena at the Irish Cottage. Initially we wondered if our trip might be a mistake but boy were we wrong! We felt her love and laughter right along with us as we enjoyed a wonderful evening of Irish food,dancing and music in the pub, walking around the grounds and shopping in town and in your gift shop. Your staff is always excellent and when we did share the reason for our visit they were even more so. Life and love goes on and the Irish Cottage continues on as our time away for sisterly love. Thank you for reminding us we have a little Irish angel smiling and laughing up above.

Stayed August 2007