“What a nice change from a large hotel! Good location too!”

Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Illinois
“What a nice change from a large hotel! Good location too!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

Four years ago, we sent my parents here to celebrate their anniversary. Their traveling days are over, and the Irish Cottage was as close as they would ever get to visiting Ireland. Management was so helpful putting together a package for them, and my parents were absolutely thrilled with their stay. I did send a thank you email to the hotel after their visit, but I feel the best way to appreciate excellent service is to give the establishment more business. So that is what we did last week.

We stayed for two nights, midweek. The hotel was the perfect size for us, and reasonably priced compared to some other hotels in the area. I was concerned about noise from the road, so I booked a room on the valley side (see photo for a view from the 4th floor). The room was quiet and just right for our needs. We enjoyed the included weekday breakfast: scones, English muffins, yogurt, hard boiled eggs, juice, coffee, cereal. There was an option to take breakfast in the room, but we preferred sitting in the library. We didn't eat at the restaurant but did have drinks at the bar.

The only hesitation I would have in booking another stay is that I fear it would feel crowded if we visited on a weekend.

Room Tip: The Valley View rooms are worth paying extra for, especially if you get a high floor.
Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RedNailz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (182)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

My wife Angie and I first stayed at The Irish Cottage in September of 2010 for a mini honeymoon and we have been coming back for our anniversary ever since. The service is always exceptional but this year the staff truly made us feel at home. The front desk manager Kathy remembered us because we always request the same room each year, she was extremely helpful and friendly during our stay. The rest of the front desk staff were willing to answer any of our questions about local entertainment aka the shopping my wife wanted to do :) Our room, and when I say “our room” it feels like our home away from home, we were pleased with the new living room furniture, the new love seat was very comfortable. We always stay in a Glendalough Suite, we enjoy the Whirlpool Tub, living room area and the separate bedroom. My biggest complaint when I stay at other hotels is noise, which has never been a problem at The Irish Cottage. It was so quiet and comfortable that we slept like babies both nights! The location of The Irish Cottage is just up the street from Main St where all the shopping and dining are located. The most prominent amenity of the hotel is Frank O’Dowd’s Irish Pub & Grill. It is an authentic Irish Pub that was shipped over , piece by piece from Ireland, it is amazing and a Galena “must see”. The food is wonderful and the entertainment is authentic, we have been lucky to see Tony Leonard for two years in a row and he gets to be more fun each time! My wife has had an enjoyable massage at the Galena Day Spa which is located on the first floor.
There are so many things I like about The Irish Cottage but the biggest compliment I can give is that my wife and feel like it is our home away from home.

Room Tip: The Glendalough Suites are great and are highly worth the extra money!
Elk Grove Village, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

The Irish Cottage has a nice, cozy feel to it. A breath of fresh air from your traditional branded hotels. The attached restaurant had great food, the rooms are clean, and the front desk was always willing to assist with "things to do" in the area. We'll be back next year!

Room Tip: Don't discount the spa on the lower level, they did a great couples massage!
1 Thank Jim C
Rosemont, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 17, 2013

This hotel is AWESOME! Great location. Very friendly and accommodating staff - especially Kathy. Rooms are in great condition. My wife and I definitely got MORE than our money's worth! Can't wait to return.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lake In The Hills, Illinois, Usa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon. Great place to stay! Galena is very relaxing. And we received excellent service from the staff here at Irish Cottage. We did have one bad waiter when we dined at Frank O'Dowds which is the pub attached to the hotel. But other than that, we received great service. Especially from Basil! Room was clean, the valley view was spectacular as advertised.

Room Tip: Brian Boru Suite
Zion
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 11, 2013

Arrived to find a very helpful and friendly staff. Amenities in the room were also impressive. The room itself and the bed felt very comfortable. Even though our room faced the road, noise levels were surprisingly low. Great room for the price. No hassles at checkout either. Would gladly stay here again!

Room Tip: No issues with our room. If you want it even quieter, choose a room on the back side of the hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 8, 2013

I have to say I was impressed with every aspect of out trip. The staff was amazing the hotel was clean and comfortable every day we were greeted with a friendly hello how was your evening it was so super friendly I will definitely come again

• Stayed September 2013