“Very nice hotel, clean”

Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed June 28, 2008

We arrived at the hotel yesterday an hour before check in so we had to wait an hour. The lobby was clean and comfortable. Very comfortable. Turned on my laptop and instant wireless.

We then checked in and went up to the room. Very surprised that it was so clean. It had a slight odor of cleanser but that went away quickly.

Wireless internet works in the room (another surprise). I'm so sick of hotels where it's a pain to connect to the internet.

We then went to the Wild Clover Spa. Barbara Jean took care of us. I did the bathtub with 140 jets and my wife had a massage. We both enjoyed it. Barbara Jean did a great job for both of us.

All in all very pleased w/ this hotel. We'd stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple

Reviewed June 17, 2008

Recently stayed at the Irish Cottage for a work event. All in all I was pleasantly surprised with the stay. It's not a upscale boutique hotel like other reviews have claimed, but its a 'nicer' option than staying in a Motel 8 or a Bed and Breakfast. If you are expecting a Four Seasons for the price of $100 a night, you are going to be let down. The Irish Cottage is a unique, fun experience everyone who travels to Galena should have the pleasure to experience.

The staff was incredibly friendly. They looked after our every need without any complaints or discussion.

The food was very good. Breakfast at the pub exceeded my every expectation.

I would not hesitate to go back!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled on business
Reviewed June 5, 2008

Generally I agree with the other reviews, but here is some more info: This is just a frame building with some Disneyesque Irish details on the front. The rooms are generally clean and spacious. Our room had stains on the carpeting which they tried to clean but you could still see them. Upscale Starbucks coffee in the room was great! Be sure to request a room facing the back of the hotel. It overlooks a very fragant valley with a peaceful scene of cows grazing on a distant hill and birds singing. The front of the hotel overlooks a busy highway. The lobby, bar, and restaurant were actually made in Ireland and shipped here. They are just dripping with atmosphere. There is a trail in the valley behind the hotel which we started to walk but it was unmaintained and too muddy. Nice small indoor pool (5 ft. deep). Be sure you are aware of the breakfast policy: On the weekends there is a hot breakfast. During the week you get a basket of stale fruit and muffins. It's about a 5 minute drive to downtown Galena. You could almost walk it but there are no sidewalks along the highway in front of the hotel. The shops in Galena are interesting but there isn't much to do after one day there.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank 2,618,010
Reviewed June 4, 2008

My wife and I have been staying in Galena, IL for the last 25 years. We have stayed at virtually all of the B&B's and hostelries in Galena. This year we chose The Irish Cottage Hotel and have found a home. We have decided to stay at The Irish Corrage Hotel for all of our future stays.
The atmosphere is cozy and quaint, while the staff is exceptionally friendly and courteous. The ammenities are plentiful and the Scones were extraordinary!

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank grtonia
Reviewed May 30, 2008

We had high hopes as we are always looking or a luxury, boutique type of hotel to travel with that also works with young kids.

Overall our stay was okay. The room was very clean, which is hugely important to me. However, the bedroom itself didn't have a window and we were definitely getting fumes from the restaurant so the room always smelled sort of like a tavern.

Secondly, the breakfast experience that is included in the rate, wasn't very good at all. You sit down and no one bothers to explain that you can partake of the continental buffet (old bagels, hard bread and tastless muffins) as well as choose from one hot dish. When we stayed on day #1 it was a cheese & sausage omlette that seriously had one teeny, tiny piece of sausage and the omlette was pretty much flavorless. It was also biscuits and gravy that weren't bad as well as a french toast that was tasty but overall you can tell the kitchen isn't working with high quality ingredients.

I will say, the front desk staff were very, very friendly and helpful.

Overall, for the cost, I'm headed to back to Door County where we've always had delightful trips.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed May 23, 2008

Great price for a nice place to stay in Galena. Close to the downtown, clean, very nice staff. We booked online and stayed in a Deluxe King room. The mid week rates were very reasonable. I would only suggest that if you care about the view (we didn't), you might want to request a room at the back of the hotel. The front of the hotel faces the road and the back faces a lovely hillside. Also, part of the restaurant is under construction right now so there was no hot breakfast, only continental but it was still very nice.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank as1786
Reviewed May 9, 2008

The Irish Cottage is a great hotel, especially for the price I paid for midweek. We were in the smallest room which had 2 queen beds. The beds were extremely comfortable with great pillows and plenty of them. There was also a comfortable chair for reading and a table with two chairs-the room was larger than many I've stayed in. The bathroom was a bit small and the sink and vanity are outside of the bathroom. However, the shower had great, and adjustable, water pressure. There was a coffee maker in the room and in the morning, we called the desk and they delivered our breakfast basket. 2 oj's, banana, orange, 2 scones, 2 muffins, bagel, cream cheese, jam and butter. Nice touch. We could have also eaten in the breakfast area but took advantage of the free room service. They serve a hot breakfast on weekends.

The staff was top notch. Check in was a breeze. Everyone was very friendly, helpful, and professional.

We ate dinner at the attached Frank O'Dowds and the service was good as was the food. We sat at a table in the back by the windows and enjoyed the meadow view, especially the cows wandering down the hill.

We brought our suits but did not swim but there is a decent sized pool and a hot tub-we probably should have swam because when we checked out the pool area nobody was in there. There is also a workout room and a day spa, as well as a small gift shop.

The property fits in well with the image of Galena and is a short drive to the downtown area.

As others have mentioned, I could see noise being a possible problem. Our room faced the parking lot and the street and I could hear the street noise although my Mom said she heard nothing and slept great. I could also hear some noise from the hallway but as we were there on a Thursday night the hotel was way below capacity so it wasn't an issue but I could see how it may be on a busy weekend night. I think if I stay again I would pay a little extra for the "meadow view" room just to avoid the street noise but it really wasn't that bad-more like "white noise".

My favorite part of the hotel was the library, located just off the lobby. Stuffed leather chairs and sofas and tons of book-lots of Irish authors but others as well. Seemed like a great place to curl up on a rainy day or if your traveling partner was sleeping and you wanted to stay up and read. Really unique and lovely.

Anyways, great, unique hotel that I would certainly recommend and return to!

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled with family