“Excellence”

Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed August 5, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here Thursday thru sunday and had the best time. The hotel is clean beautiful comfortable. The staff is very friendly. It's in the perfect location. The pool and hot tub is wonderful. I have absolutely nothing bad to say. The beds are super comfy!! Showers are great The pub is great The dancers were great The owner Basil is a wonderful person. Not sure. Why?So friendly and outgoing. It was great to meet him. I will be back many times and I highly recommend it.

• Stayed: August 2012

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Place was clean. Staff was very friendly we had a suite room was nice sized. It is a mile or so from town and u really can't walk into town cause it is a busy highway with no sidewalks. We took a cab in one night because we were going to have a glass or 2 of wine $10 each way. Complimentary breakfast both mornings. The breakfast was very good u do not get to choose the 1 st day sausage n cheese omelet and strawberry and cream cheese crepe( but it was a pancake) then 2 nd am was a sauage quiche and French toast w strawberries. I thought both were good. Not what I would have ordered but for free breakfast very good. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sarah H
Reviewed July 27, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful long weekend at the Irish Cottage. We were with two other couples and could not have enjoyed ourselves more. The town of Galena, The Irish Cottage, shopping and the restaurants make this a great getaway. It is not New York City or Disney World and that is what is wonderful.
The Irish Cottage is top shelf and the staff could not be better. They make you feel at home and they let you know they are glad you are staying there. You have to enjoy reading the history behind the naming of each room and the unique pictures on the walls.
Our room was very clean and up-to-date. When we went to breakfast and returned an hour later, our room was made up without asking. The weekend breakfast they include is one of the best you can experience. The weekday breakfast basket is adequate and getting it is no problem.
The Irish Pub has to be one of a kind. The architecture has a history of its own and the food is very good. Kids and adults love to see the Irish dancers on Friday night.
We can’t wait to return!

Reviewed July 26, 2012

my husband and I stayed one night at this hotel. I thought it was very clean, beds were comfortable. although we didn't use it they had a pool, hot tub, and work out room. We had the hot breakfast, which i thought was good and better than those at other chain hotels. I liked having the bar conncected to the hotel, we did see the irish dancers and a singer at night. Would stay there again.

1  Thank siciliano
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We booked a room here for a girls weekend after hearing how nice it was from a friend. Initial impression was OK...nothing that exciting. Ate at the restaurant the first night and was very disappointed. Generic food. We shopped all day the second day and it was hot out so imagine our distress to come back to a HOT room. I contacted the desk and was told to unplug the air conditioner to see if it would reboot. When that didn't work the desk person came up to look and said "Sorry, there's nothing I can do for you. Come down tomorrow and we will see about a discount." Seriously?!?! Didn't sleep all night due to the heat and it almost threw me into an asthma attack. When we went down the next day they gave us a $50.00 discount off of a $463.00 bill. Really??? Wow... I guess they don't really want our return business. I have to say that the spa was fabulous....wish the hotel was too.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
10  Thank Lovetotravel e
gr82birish, General Manager at Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2012

Thank you for your comments. As we discussed at checkout, we were very concerned with your negative experience resulting from a mechanical issue with your room’s air conditioner and take responsibility for the failure of the equipment. While it is of little comfort now, we had nearly completed replacing all the 3rd and 4th floor guestroom air conditioners. Unfortunately, the section of the build where your guestroom was located was not finished until this week. Again, please accept our sincere apology for your negative experience.

Reviewed July 15, 2012 via mobile

Pleasant stay at this hotel. Rooms average. Like the reading room. Everyone friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank jhd1966
Reviewed July 10, 2012

Hotel staff friendly. Nice atmosphere, room was excellent. Quiet at least Sun-Tuesday. Easily accessible to attractions & downtown. Pool was great too. Disappointing that we badly wanted the couples massage at the spa, but they could only do it at 1230 - we declined, as we wanted it at the end of the day not in the middle when it would have basically prevented us from doing anything else. That said, had I had another day I would have done it. I found the spa prices to be reasonable, and being in the lower level in the back, quiet! I would definitely stay again. Only precaution? SKIP Frank O'dowd's. you can see why in my review of that.

Room Tip: If you're a couple, book a Glendalough suite.