“A warm and welcoming place to stay”

Farmers Guest House
Ranked #3 of 32 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago, Illinois
“A warm and welcoming place to stay”
Reviewed February 10, 2013

I recently stayed at the Farmer's Guest House with my fiance. He took me here as a surprise trip after proposing and it was the perfect way to celebrate!

Don and Susan were warm and welcoming hosts. They have a wonderfully professional and personable demeanor. They spent the time to get to know each guest and created a very comfortable environment. The nightly "wine and cheese" was a nice perk and a great way to unwind before dinner.

Breakfast was fantastic and changed each day. The inn is well kept, clean, and charming. We attended their "roaming dinner" where appetizers are served at their inn and then you are shuttled to various inns and restaurants for salad, entrees, and dessert. It was a great way to see more of Galena and socialize with other guests.

The inn in very conveniently located within a short walking distance of all the shops and restaurants. No need to drive anywhere!

Don and Susan took over ownership of this inn within the past year and they already seem like seasoned pros! The whole experience was great.

We'll happily return to celebrate a future anniversary and re-live the happy memories.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
GalenaBedandBreakfst, Owner at Farmers Guest House, responded to this review, February 12, 2013
Julie, thank you for your review and what a pleasure to hear from you! We had such a great time here at Farmers Guest House that weekend of the progressive dinner - I love your term "roaming dinner" - and we will have more of them in the future. Take a look at the picture on our blog as we were all toasting our fine evening while finishing dessert. The blog link can be found at the bottom of our home page. We look forward to celebrating your anniversary together!

Don & Susan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (263)
Gilberts, Illinois, United States
Reviewed February 4, 2013

Farmers' Guest House was my wife and I's first B&B experience and it surpassed our expectations. We only stayed one evening this past weekend, but Don, Susan, & Charles were very friendly and hospitable. The Julia Suite was wonderful! The rooms were very clean, as well as were the common areas. Everything from the library (with books and games), to cookies and drinks, to Wine Time, to the amazing breakfast were wonderful! We will definitely be back!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
GalenaBedandBreakfst, Owner at Farmers Guest House, responded to this review, February 8, 2013
Chris, thank you for your review. We also were glad that we had an opening for one night on the weekend so that your travel needs could be met here at Farmers Guest House. We look forward to seeing you again and are delighted that your first B&B experience surpassed your expectations! See you again soon.

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed February 3, 2013

This was first experience staying at a Bed and Breakfast. Susan and Don (the owners) were very hospitable, and accommodating. Rooms were clean. Breakfast every morning between 830-930. Wine and cheese every evening at 530. Walking distance to Main St.

Overall a great experience, and would highly recommend this place to anyone looking for a weekend getaway.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Josh, thank you for your review. We enjoyed visiting with the two of you and look forward to seeing you again. We are delighted to have so many young people who have never stayed at a B&B begin their B&B experiences with us here at Farmers Guest House. See you soon!

Davenport, Iowa
Reviewed February 2, 2013

We spent one evening at the Farmer's Guest House and stayed in the Julia suite. This was our first time staying in a B&B and it surpassed all of our expectations. Upon our arrival, we were greeted warmly by Charles and soon after, we got to meet and chat with the friendly owners Don and Susan. "Wine Time" was a great opportunity to mingle with the other guests and learn about the history of the inn itself, gather some history of Galena, and hear recommendations for the best eateries and things to do during our visit. The fresh baked cookies offered were a sweet treat and the breakfast was excellent! Susan...we will be talking about that brown sugar/pepper bacon for months to come! The accommodations were warm and inviting and felt like home. In fact, we chose to return to our room to relax by the cozy fireplace after dinner instead of venturing out further downtown! We would recommend this B&B to anyone and will most definitely be returning! Thank you to Susan, Don, and Charles for a great first-time experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Brad, thank you for your review! It was a pleasure meeting the two of you and we are delighted to have been your first B&B experience. Yes, those fireplaces are wonderful at this time of year and our Julia Suite is a great place to relax and pamper yourself. We look forward to seeing you again soon!

Washington, Illinois
Reviewed February 1, 2013

They have a bottomless cookie jar with fresh baked cookies in the dining room!! What else do you need to know?? This was my first bed and breakfest experience, and I can honestly say it made a believer out of me! My mom and I visited for a getaway vacation shortly after New Years, and it was easily the most enjoyable experience I have ever had sleeping away from home! I will have an extemely difficult time ever staying in a traditional hotel again! I felt truly at home in Don and Susan's Guest House. The rooms were SPOTLESS and COZY! Many Thanks to Charles for his kind attention to keeping our rooms fresh! Don and Susan are kind, helpful and welcoming. They have put tremendous thought and attention into their bed and breakfast, and it SHOWS! Unlike another reviewer, I appreciated their kind recommendations regarding restaurants and other Galena attractions. I did not find it pushy, but rather felt that they were sincerely interested in making my trip to Galena the very best it could be for me--nor did I feel that they tried to push me towards one particular restaurant. Wine and Cheese time in the evening was a wonderful way to relax after a busy day! I really enjoyed relaxing and visiting with my hosts and the other guests. Breakfasts were EXCEPTIONAL!! The servings were ample, and the sausage and sugared bacon (both of which were locally sourced) were the best I have ever had. The fresh fruit was flavorful and beautifully presented. Susan's cranberry scones were delicious, classic scones with the perfect flavor and texture. The broccoli and cheese quiche she served had a wonderful flavor with a tender, homemade crust. Also, her orange tarragon french toast was amazing! Again, the texture and unique combination of flavors were anything but ordinary! I am looking forward to visiting again, hopefully in the late spring or early summer! Thanks so much, Susan and Don!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
GalenaBedandBreakfst, Owner at Farmers Guest House, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
Tammy, thank you for the review. We enjoyed spending time with you and your Mom as well. I love making a special event out of breakfast each day and it is rewarding to have guests like yourselves who enjoy it as much as I do. The Orange Tarragon French Toast is actually a recipe given to me by the former owners - I have added my own special touches, of course. Since many guests request this entree it makes frequent appearances on the menu and I was delighted to read your comments about it. We look forward to your next visit.

Susan
Owner
Saint Charles, Illinois
Reviewed January 25, 2013

The purpose of our getaway was just to relax. Although it was zero degrees outside, we felt warm hospitality from the moment we stepped through the doors. After "wine time," where we got acquainted with the owners Don & Susan and the other guests, we retired to our room. It was quiet and warmed with a cozy fireplace.
The breakfasts Susan served each day were fresh and different. She learned of my food sensitivities and went out of her way to accommodate them. She even sent some of her banana bread muffins (without nuts) home with us because we thought our daughter would like them.
I had the best massage, comfortably in our room; arranged by Susan.
The best surprise was when my husband mentioned listening to a local Galena artist in his youth. Susan called him up and invited him over! What a thrill for him.
I can't say enough about the attention we received and the comfort we felt. Thank you Don and Susan...and "Sir" Charles who also keeps things clean and running smoothly.

Room Tip: The rooms are now named after the wives of Generals who lived in Galena. We stayed in the Julia roo...