“Family-owned and friendly, a great tour!”

Galena Cellars Winery & Vineyard
Ranked #2 of 34 Shopping in Galena
More attraction details
Owner description: Join us and enjoy our award-winning wines. Visit our gift shop at 515 South Main Street Galena IL, 61036. Vineyard now open for tours & wine tastings at 4746 North Ford Rd. Galena, IL 61036.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Family-owned and friendly, a great tour!”
Reviewed September 17, 2010

My husband and I had just gotten married in Galena and were looking for a few things to do while we were there. I've never been a big fan of wine so I was interested in this winery tour in the hopes I'd try something I liked. The tour was educational (I did not know that red grapes can make white wine) and the tour guide was knowledgeable and friendly. It was a small group which was nice and we all received a few free glasses of wines to try during the tour. After the tour you can do additional tastings of 6 different wines for $3. When I mentioned to the tour guide that I'd never tried a red that I liked she immediately suggested their country red which I ended up loving! We bought a bottle of that and the traminette.

4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“The MOST fun I have had in Galena, and great wine, too!”
Reviewed September 13, 2010

I live in Galena (Chicago area transplant) and had friends visiting over Labor Day weekend. One of our "must-do's" was to do this tour and tasting. I had never done it in the 7 years I have lived here. I must say it was THE MOST fun thing I have EVER done in the Galena area. My friends and I had an absolute ball. Linda our tour director was funny, knowledgeable and just a blast. In the tasting room Rob and everyone catered to us totally.. They too were fun and knowledgeable. After our tour and tasting we settled on the beautiful patio with a glass of wine and enjoyed ourselves some more with the other guests.

Oh, and the wines are superb, too! I am not a wine connoisseur mind you, so never knew how to savor the smells, tastes and sensations. But since Linda taught me how to swirl, sniff, and sip (not gulp) my wine properly I can see how I need less and can justify spending money on an excellent bottle of wine!

I will be using the Galena Cellars Vineyard as an activity from now on with out of town guests and in-town friends! Who wants to join me??

1 Thank JudyReedy
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Great Surprise”
Reviewed July 5, 2010

I was taken there on a surprise birthday trip from Chicago. It was a fabulous day spent sampling wines I never would have had the chance to try otherwise. The prices are great-and the staff is friendly and even helped us to find an amazing restaurant for dinner!

Knoxville, IL
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Unique, restful, a piece of heaven!”
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We have visited the winery numerous times and continue to be so relaxed and pleased. The views from the deck are unsurpassed; all the wines delicious; winemaker Chris Lawler is joyful and knowledgable; Rob the manager makes all welcome; Jan and Rosie give wonderful wine tours. It is fun to do a wine tasting, and then settle back on the beautiful wrap around porch to savor the country view with a bottle of Galena Cellars Wine. Life couldn't get better than this.
We have not found anywhere that we enjoy visiting more than Galena Cellars Winery and
staying in the winery suite.

Rochelle, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Beautiful setting for a wedding”
Reviewed June 4, 2010

My husband & I were married at the vineyard in May of 2010. The Staff was amazing and treated us like family. There were just 15 of us total (guests & bridal party). It was a relaxing way to get married...our guests had a glass of wine in their hands during the ceremony! Afterwards, we took pictures all over the vineyard and enjoyed a wine tasting. The vineyard was beautiful!

I'm planning a bachelorette party there in August for my cousin. I can't wait to go back when the vineyard is full of grapes :)

2 Thank shanpmay2010