“Wonderful!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Bernadine's Stillman Inn

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Bernadine's Stillman Inn
Ranked #6 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
“Wonderful!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

We went for our 10 year wedding anniversary and we were very pleased. Dave and Bernadine are wonderful people! It's your home away from home!!! We can't wait to go back. It's within walking distance to town. We enjoyed our walk everyday through grant park and past Grants home everyday we went to town. Dave and Bernadine go above and beyond making you feel welcomed and comfortable during your stay.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
CHICAGO
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

My partner and I greatly enjoyed this B&B. It's close to downtown and just isolated enough to be relaxing. Lots of parking, snacks, wine, etc., and the price was right. The breakfasts were particularly good and both the staff (owners) and the other guests were very friendly.

Room Tip: The downstairs suite is huge and worth the money.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Glenview
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

I have stayed at many B&B's over the years and I fully admit that I am quite picky. To summarize what I have detailed below, if you are looking for Victorian opulence this is not the B&B for you, but if you are looking for an clean room with a happy and helpful host Bernadine's Stillman Inn fits the bill.

The positives: 1. Dave was exceptionally nice and very helpful with dinner reservations and local sights (he genuinely seems to love what he does). 2. locaton: a few blocks walk to downtown 3.. the property was clean 4. Breakfast and Snacks were a nice touch 5. other guests seemed genuinely happy

The negatives - this is a grand old property that was not very nicely restored 1. the room we stayed in (ROMANCE ROOM) still had baseboard heat that was very noisy 2. the decor was a weird mix of antique and tacky neo-victorian reproductions 3. the bathroom badly needed renovation (it appeared to be a 1970's remodel complete with plastic avocado shower surround)

Other: AT&T has bad service in this area (Edge coverage at best). This is not property specific, but is something I would have wanted to know before traveling to Galena.

Room Tip: Ask about heating and air in each room prior to booking
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Spunkykiki
Bernadinedave, General Manager at Bernadine's Stillman Inn, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
So glad you had a nice time and thanks for the input. We are happy to say we have just completed upgrading all of the bathrooms with new cabinets and are they sweet! Sorry about the noisy hot water baseboard heat. Never heard about that before but we have checked into it!
Lake Villa, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

Bernadine and Dave, along with their staff, made everyone feel at home. They go the extra mile to make sure your accommodations are to your specifications. Most Bed and Breakfasts serve a Continental Breakfast. Not Bernadine's Stillman House..... they have a hot cooked breakfast every morning in a elegant dining room setting in a beautiful, well maintained, and clean Mansion. Just short of 1 mile from downtown it's the best option for a Bed and Breakfast in Galena, Illinois

Room Tip: All the rooms are PERFECT!!!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Phyl D
Bernadinedave, Owner at Bernadine's Stillman Inn, responded to this review, October 6, 2015
That means a lot to us. Thank you and we hope to have you back again. Don't forget to mention your 10% returning guest discount!

Bernadine
Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

Okay I have to admit that I have never stayed at Bernadine Stillman Inn, but my experience with the owner, Dave Anderson, was one I will never forget. I booked a weekend at the Inn for my wife and I about 1 month before our scheduled vacation. However due to our decision to adopt a child, my wife and I decided that it would be in our best interests to save the money we planned for vacation to put towards the adoption. I called Mr. Anderson two weeks prior to our trip to cancel the reservation. While on the phone, he asked if there was something they did for us to cancel. In one of my worst moments of judgment, I felt the need to tell a horrible lie as to why we couldn't make it. I have no idea why I did this other than I felt bad for cancelling.

After hanging up the phone I had a horrible feeling come over me for telling the lie that I did. My wife, being the good woman that she is, didn't allow me to escape that feeling either. So I decided to call Mr. Anderson back to let him know the truth about why we were not coming. I have to say that the understanding and compassion that he showed me was nothing short of amazing. You can tell that he is truely a good Christian man. This experience has taught me an invaluable lesson. I can only hope that one day I will be able to pay this experience forward.

My wife and I will, without a doubt, stay at the Bernadine Stillman Inn one day. Anyone that can handle a situation (the way he did) like the one I put him in has to be a great person to rent a room from. I could sense that he has a deep caring for all his guests, even the ones that cannot make it. Based just on that experience I would recommend him to anyone that asks.

2 Thank Sean C
Ankeny, Iowa, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2012

My girlfriend and I had never been to a B&B, and chose the Stillman because of the many wonderful reviews we found online. Dave was a wonderful host. He provided us a map that was helpful to get us started in Galena, and he got us dinner reservations on very short notice to a very busy restaurant. We are currently planning our second trip to Galena, and we haven't considered staying anywhere else. We can't wait to get back to the Stillman! Scott S.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scott S
Westchester, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2012

What sets the Stillman Inn apart from other B&B in Galena is the fabulous service provided by Dave & Bernadine & their staff. My wife & I just finished our fourth visit there and we will definitely be back for a fifth visit. My wife and I have become not just guests but actual true friends with the owners Dave & Bernadine. At most B&B's you do not even meet the owners let alone become their friends. The Stillman Inn is a true gem in Galena.

Room Tip: 1st floor rooms are larger and quiet.