“Underwhelming” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 33 Galena B&B and Inns
Chicago
“Underwhelming”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2012

Stillman Inn is a nice B & B. The outside of the building is beautiful and feels like stepping back in history. It’s immediately next to the Ulysses S. Grant Home and a ten minute walk from downtown Galena across from Grant Park. No driving is necessary especially when coming back from one of many of Galena’s live music pubs. The innkeeper is extremely nice and assures that everyone at the Inn is conversing at the breakfast table. Breakfast is filling. I must admit, that I felt a little awkward when the inn keeper tried to engage us in a long conversation every time he crossed paths with us.

Unfortunately, when I first walked into our room I felt underwhelmed and disappointed. It is clear that the photos on the website don’t accurately represent what actually is being provided. Most of the amenities and the interior facilities need to be updated. Many of the bathroom fixtures are plastic with colors from the 70’s and 80’s. There is definitely evidence of rust here and there. The wood floors are old and stained. The carpets have gone dull and flat a long time ago as did many curtains. The arm chairs lost the bounce in the springs probably fifteen years ago. Even the TV’s in the dining room are tube TV’s and our TV in the room had poor reception.

Given the location and the historical aspect of the building I would give this place 4 stars, but all in all, the Inn is in need of serious interior renovation and at this juncture should cost about 90$ per night.

Room Tip: The Royalty guest rooms (II and III) are way too small for two people- nowhere put your luggage and...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank kot_in_boots

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Richland Center
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2012

Bernadine's Stillman Inn is a beautiful and masterfully maintained b&b located close enough to downtown Galena, IL. to be a very convenient walk to wonderful restaurants, shopping and historic sites. At the same time, being located just across from General & President U.S. Grant's Galena residence makes it just far away enough from downtown to be a quiet and cozy retreat from a busy tourist's day. My wife and I were stunned at the beauty of the inn when we arrived, as the mansion has been preserved to reflect it's 1800's roots but is loaded with modern amenities. A good balance. The service was beyond stellar and in fact the very best we have EVER experienced. We have traveled across the U.S. and abroad and I must say that we agreed that we have NEVER been treated so well during any stay at any lodging anywhere in the world. This is going against other b&b's, hotels and motels of all types and star ratings. We have paid MUCH more for a night elsewhere and had 1/8th the service at best. We look forward to returning many times to our new absolute favorite lodging at Bernadine's Stillman Inn.
-Bob & Alison

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2012

My husband and I stayed in a b&b for a first time and were so glad we picked the Stillman inn. Dave (the innkeeper) is a delightful person. Made us feel very at home! The rooms are great ! We stayed in the grand romance with a jacuzzi and loved it! Great atmosphere with lots of history. Great experience!

• Stayed April 2012
Hull, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

I enjoyed my recent semi-annual visit to Dave & Bernadine’s Inn. Great and fun innkeepers serving with a sense of joy and sharing. Relished the free cookies, ice cream, popcorn, fruit, and hearty excellent breakfast. The clean, quiet, historic rooms continue to grow more beautiful. Enjoyed walking down the hill from the mansion to downtown Galena. Along with some other guests, I took up the kind invitation of a couple who were also staying at the Stillman and attended their beautiful and moving wedding and reception in the chapel and banquet hall that is on the property.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Streamwood, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2012

Just got back from my first trip to Galena. My boyfriend and I had a mediocre experience before with a B &B so I was so hoping this inn would be so much better. I loved the place and the people!!! The room was quiet and clean with a nice view. I felt transported to another era and with Grants House so close it was really cool to learn all the history. This inn also has the nicest innkeepers ever and they will make sure you have a warm, happy experience. i really feel that this is what a B & B should be!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
East Moline, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2012

Just returned from another stay at the Stillman. As always, it was absolutely amazing. We have stayed here several times , but this time we also had friends stay there to. They were very impressed with the mansion, the rooms and the great breakfasts. We all came up here for wine lovers weekend and we all decided to make this a yearly tradition. Me and my husband also stay here every year for our anniversary. We have had some of our best memory's here, thanks to Dave and Bernadine. You could not ask for better innkeepers.

• Stayed March 2012
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

I've stayed a lot of places and there's only 1 guy that remembers me when I come back. Dave is the Stillman and always makes out stays enjoyable. You will not be disappointed coming here.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business