“Great stay...”

Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Chicago
“Great stay...”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2010

We stayed at this hotel for one night. It was very clean, staff were very friendly, and the pool was great for the kids. Walls a little thin, could hear the flushing next door and kids in the hall, but not too bad. The breakfast area was well kept and the attendant very nice, food was good and what was expected. Overall, a very clean, nice hotel..would definitely recommend.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
cx_gala, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL, responded to this review, June 16, 2010
Just wanted to let you know we are newly renovated! In order to provide our guests with "quality" accommodations, we have upgraded our hotel. Completed enhancements include an upgrade of all hotel guest rooms and public areas. My staff and I are very excited about our new renovations, and hope that you, our guests, will be pleased with our new look when you stay with us again.

Lynette Montes

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
Clarendon Hills, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 26, 2010

The hotel was very clean as was the pool and the surrounding area. It was a short trip to downtown Galena, and had a WalMart right down the street, so it was very convenient. We had two toddlers with us but even in one room with a pack-n-play and a roll away bed, we were all able to get a good night sleep. The hotel had some nice little amenities like free computer access in the lobby, a stock of books to choose from and cookies upon check-in. The staff was very helpful and friendly. We usually stay in higher star hotels so I had no experience with this chain but if they are all like this, I would definitely stay again!

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2010

The entire staff, from the general manager to reservation representative, greeted made us feel welcome and provided a room upgrade, which was exceptional in comfort. This meant a lot to me and my husband as I have not been able to travel as much as I would like and it was my birthday. We enjoy visiting the Galena area and have been doing this for about 25 years. We look forward to seeing you again. Thanks again.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
Highland Park, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2010

My two young boys (10 and 6) and I stayed here for one night in March while on a ski trip to nearby Chestnut Mountain. The accommodations were clean and comfortable and the kids loved the swimming pool/hot tub/waterslide/arcade.

The location was convenient, just a few minutes outside the town of Galena and about 20 minutes from the ski hill. The desk people were friendly, and the breakfast, while nothing special, served its purpose. I didn't use the fitness center, but it looked better than normal for this class of hotel.

It would have been fun to just go skiing, but for the kids, having such a great pool made the trip extra special, and they can't wait to come back. We will definitely stay here again.

Stayed March 2010, traveled with family

Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 16, 2010

We arrived and were greated with a, hello, we will be renovating soon and then it all turned awful. The room was a disaster, after many calls to get this rectified, it was finally resolved with giving us a different room. The room was dirty, the front desk staff was beyond rude. The only nice thing about the entire place was the little pool boy, he was a gem in rough. This place ought to be ashamed that they are affiliated with the Country Inn and Suite brand, as they are a disgrace!!!!!!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank sassy1989
cx_gala, General Manager at Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Galena IL, responded to this review, February 18, 2010
Dear Sassy1989,

Country Inn & Suites, Galena truly believes every guest deserves the same extraordinary experience! We strive for excellence and I am very alarmed to learn that you experienced less than an exceptional experience during your stay with us. Please accept my sincere apology that this situation was not previously addressed. Comments from our guests are important in helping us to provide the best service possible.
If you have a moment and are willing to share any specifics on these items it would greatly increase my ability to better assess and attempt to remedy these concerns. However, regardless of your response to my request I want to make sure that you feel your comments were heard. If you’d like, you can reach me at the phone number of 815-777-2400. It would be a pleasure to personally discuss with you any specifics and / or suggestions you’d like to offer.
Please be assured that you are correct when stating we are undergoing renovations. With your comments in mind, in order to provide our guest with “quality” accommodations, we have found it necessary to upgrade our hotel. During the next few months we will be renovating our public areas and guest rooms. We will be painting, replacing carpet, updating duvets and curtains. We will be adding granite to the front desk; we will be tiling, extending counter space and changing furniture in the breakfast room as well as updating the lobby. These are all examples among many more wonderful changes we will be seeing in the near future in an attempt to rectify your situation. My staff and I are very excited about the upcoming renovations, and hope that you will be pleased with our new look should you return to our hotel.

montfort wi
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2010

I stayed at the Country Inn and Suited over New Years for 2 nights. I can't say enough good things about it. From the first phone call I made to the hotel till check out time, the staff was professional and very very friendly. I'm a travel consultant and regularly do hotel inspections. I would give this hotel the top marks at every level.
We check in at 1 PM and we're greeted imediately by a very nice front desk person. Our room would'nt be ready for awhile but she was more then happy to suggest some things to do in the mean time. Even to let the kids go swimming in the pool till the room was ready.
An hour later I checked back and the room was ready and we were able to check in early. Also check out is 12 noon (a rarity). We went to our suite and the kids were in awe. We had beautiful king bed with whirlpool in 1 room and a queen sofa sleeper and FULL size table and chairs in the other. Perfect to play cards and board games with the kids.
We then went to the pool. They have a very nice and not over big slide for the kids and noodles for them to play with in the pool. No lifeguard which was ok because I stayed with the kids the whole time. The nice thing was you didn't feel like someone was ready to pounce on you and yell at your kids everytime the moved wrong. One staff member did come in and just sit later that night which was good because there a few older kids messing around on the slide. Not one work was said, presence was enough. The only thing that could be improved on was the amount of towels in the pool area. I had to go back to my room dripping wet beacuse they were drying towels upstairs. Just be aware that they use alot of chlorine in the pool and hottub.I understand why and I'm greatful for it, but some times it got to be a bit much.
We went down to the breakfast room for free hot chocolate for the kids. We're amazed to find not only free hot chocolate and coffee 24 hours a day but also cookies, fruit, salsa, and chips. For free. You don't see that these days.
The continental breakfast was a real treat. Along with the usual bagels, donuts and juice, was biscuits and gravy, 2 kinds of waffels, hard boiled eggs, serveral different cereals, milk and coffee. It was wonderful. I never had to take the kids to breakfast once and I saved a ton of money.
This hotel is wonderful and I would recommend it to everyone. I'm told it will be completley refurbished this year (doesn't need it) which will only push it that much higher up in rating.
Take it from a Travel Consultant that has seem some pretty bad and some of the best, this is a great hotel for your money.
Lori Velte, General Manager
Dodgeville Travel Inc.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled with family
Iowa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

This is a great place to stay in Galena. The hotel is very well taken care of and the rooms are fantastic.
We stayed in a whirlpool room suite and it was very nice.

The management was very helpful in resolving an issue I had with a hold put on my credit/debit card. She went out of her way to get the hold released in a timely fashion.

I would definitely recommend this hotel when traveling to Galena.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple