“It Can't Be Matched”

26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 60 helpful votes
“It Can't Be Matched”
Reviewed September 11, 2013

Over the past ten plus years, we have had the opportunity to take twenty-three hot air balloon rides eight of them with Galena On The Fly. What an experience; nothing compares.
The following thoughts help capture the experience: "Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of earth, and danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings; Sunward I've climbed and joined the tumbling mirth of sunsplit clouds...Wheeled and soared and swung - high in the sunlit silence. Hov'ring there, I've chased the shouting winds along,...and flung my eager craft through footless halls of air...Where never lark or even eagle flew...And, while with silent, lifting mind I've trod the high untrepassed sanctity of space".

Add to that the professionalism, quick wit, and humor of Captain Andy and you create a memorable experience.
No doubt, it is expensive. However, there is much overhead; hot air balloon systems don't come cheap, add to that the cost of trucks, vans, trailers and gas; also one must purchase other ancillary equipment and employ chase crew. Don't forget the insurance that is required. When you factor in all the costs, it is a reasonable charge.
One other complication; weather. Safety always comes first and weather is critical. High winds at the surface or aloft can cancel a flight; also thunderstorms and lightning cannot be nearby.

Some say that the flights seem short. Remember two things: (1) like a fixed wing air craft you attempt to land with your fuel tanks around half full; (2) Take offs are optional landings are mandatory.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank TKCRhino

Wayland, IA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Absolutely amazing!!”
Reviewed September 10, 2013

My father and I took a hot air balloon ride last weekend. It was on his bucket list and was a gift from my mother. She didn't want him to go alone...so I got to go too. I am afraid of heights and falling...so I was very apprehensive. IT WAS AWESOME! Andy, the pilot and owner, is fantastic. He is very personable and set us right at ease. Dad has some trouble with balance and was able to pre-board the balloon. The basket held 14. You have to use a step stool and climb over the basket to get in. It hits about chest high. Getting out was easier. It was just amazing. The whole trip took just over 2 hours. We traveled about 10 miles. We took our camera and got some awesome pictures. One piece of advice...go in Spring or fall. It was 90 degrees and even hotter in the balloon since your head is close to the heat of the flame. We were all sweating. Bring water and wear tennis shoes since you land in fields. The crew followed us and brought out champagne (7up for nondrinkers) and chocolate and we all received a First Flight certificate to commemorate our trip. If you have ever thought about going, save your money and do it. You will NOT be disappointed!

Visited September 2013
6 Thank Rachel M
Madison, Wisconsin, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Don't Miss This”
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Andy and the crew were great. The ride was beautiful and worth every penny. Customer service was outstanding.

Specifically, my wife thought she had left her sunglasses in their transport van. We called, and they went out of their way to offer to check around at the restaurants and hotels we were at (we're not from the area), we told them this wasn't necessary, but still a very kind offer. Then, to top it off, they texted back to verify we found the sunglasses and sent a photo that was taken of our balloon ride. So great.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank Jordan T
Peosta, Iowa, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Best experience ever!”
Reviewed June 8, 2013

What a cool experience I had last night with the Galena on the Fly hot air balloon ride. Andy was an awesome pilot, tour guide, and host. I seen some of the best sites from a mile up. All I can say this morning is way cool. Thank you Andy, Kate and the crew you were all great.

Visited June 2013
5 Thank Dee A
Des Moines, Iowa
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Absolutely wonderful experience!!!”
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I really cannot say enough wonderful things about Galena on the Fly. In my opinion, absolutely worth each and every penny. I scheduled a flight for myself and husband as a surprise for his birthday over the weekend in Galena. Although I usually had to leave a message when calling, they always got back to me very promptly. Andy, the pilot, was friendly, entertaining, and very informative throughout the entire flight. The entire memorable experience was one of those once in a lifetime events and we wouldn't have changed a thing!!!

Visited June 2012
11 Thank JEN5123

Been to Galena On The Fly? Share your experiences!