“Don't Miss This”
Review of Galena On The Fly

Galena On The Fly
Ranked #5 of 14 Tours in Galena
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Andy and the crew were great. The ride was beautiful and worth every penny. Customer service was outstanding.

Specifically, my wife thought she had left her sunglasses in their transport van. We called, and they went out of their way to offer to check around at the restaurants and hotels we were at (we're not from the area), we told them this wasn't necessary, but still a very kind offer. Then, to top it off, they texted back to verify we found the sunglasses and sent a photo that was taken of our balloon ride. So great.

3  Thank Jordan T

Reviewed June 8, 2013

What a cool experience I had last night with the Galena on the Fly hot air balloon ride. Andy was an awesome pilot, tour guide, and host. I seen some of the best sites from a mile up. All I can say this morning is way cool. Thank you Andy, Kate and the crew you were all great.

5  Thank Dee A
Reviewed June 25, 2012

I really cannot say enough wonderful things about Galena on the Fly. In my opinion, absolutely worth each and every penny. I scheduled a flight for myself and husband as a surprise for his birthday over the weekend in Galena. Although I usually had to leave a message when calling, they always got back to me very promptly. Andy, the pilot, was friendly, entertaining, and very informative throughout the entire flight. The entire memorable experience was one of those once in a lifetime events and we wouldn't have changed a thing!!!

11  Thank JEN5123
Reviewed August 20, 2011

Took a hot air balloon ride with Galena on the Fly during the National Balloon Classic in Indianola, Iowa.

Prices were $175 per person, regardless of age with no discounts offered for kids, military or senior citizens. Prices are not listed on Galena on the Fly website, National Balloon Classic website or anywhere else that I could find. They wouldn't put it in writing and only discussed on the phone.

Company has a 10 day cancellation policy and will charge in full if you don't make your reservation, which is bad business because there is a line of people wanting to take a balloon ride at the National Balloon Classic but were turned away. Galena on the Fly is not out any money if you don't show. How about a service charge of $20-50 instead of full price?

Email responses from Galena on the Fly prior to making reservation were slow, uninformative or non-existent.

Day of flight started bad. Staff members at check in distribute personnel in the balloons and the pilot (Jim) was not happy with his distribution of people. He said we were too light to land. He was very rude to us and couldn't get rid of us fast enough. We had a party of four ($700), one adult, kids aged 11, 9 and 8. New pilot was Taylor and that was to our benefit. Taylor was a great guy.

In flight the pilot is too busy talking on the radio to really talk to the passengers. Don't expect to hold a conversation with him. Flight is VERY hot, basket is fairly tall to see over and landing is rough, so highly recommend not flying with kids less than 10 yrs. BRING WATER WITH YOU (not mentioned on any website)!

On the ground Taylor was very approachable and great with the kids. He even let the kids help de-flate the balloon.

Upon arrival back to launch point Galena on the Fly offers a photo cd for $20 because apparently $175 per person isn't enough to cover that. There are maybe 15 good photos of your party out of the 300 on cd. They do give you a complimentary first flight certificate and a little toast of soda/champagne for a successful flight.

All in all, very poor experience for the money. Taylor salvaged some of this experience. Would not recommend this to anybody. Stay on the ground and watch from the crowd during the National Balloon Classic.

36  Thank sarandan98

Been to Galena On The Fly? Share your experiences!