“this is where many locals eat”
Review of Otto's Place

Otto's Place
Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Breakfast and Lunch
Galena, Illinois
“this is where many locals eat”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

talk about out of the way a off the path spot by old railroad depot has a very good selection of both food and wine with super friendly staff and a lot of interesting history a buzz favorite

Visited August 2012
2 Thank buzz s

Chicago, Illinois
“Cute place for breakfast/lunch”
Reviewed July 11, 2013

This establishment is nice and friendly with fast service and a few different breakfast food choices. We had a vegetarian omelet and cinnamon French toast for breakfast here. They have a banana bread French toast that also might be a good choice to try. I'm not sure why this ranks number one in Galena on trip advisor. It's not that we had a bad experience or didn't like our meal, I just wouldn't consider it something that is out of this world or unique. We would go back here, but don't know what all the "hype" is about this restaurant.

1 Thank foodlover560
Battle Creek, Michigan
“An excellent breakfast choice”
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Located conveniently across the street from the visitors center. The food was great and the service was outstanding. A nice quiet place with mostly locals when we were there.

1 Thank Darcy567
Janesville, Wisconsin
“Nice but not outstanding”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

Nice walk thru the park on your way to Otto's. I think it's a nice choice for breakfast but with juice and coffee I thought it was a bit pricy (but maybe not for IL) I had the frittata with roasted veggies and goat cheese, not that impressed. Husband had Otto's Benedict with cheddar sauce - too much in my opinion. Overall glad we went but would recommend reservations on a holiday weekend.

1 Thank gin h
Park Ridge, Illinois, United States
“Great breakfast across the river”
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Thanks to on-line recommendations, I went to Otto's Place for breakfast while staying in Galena recently. It's a charming little building in a charming location right next to the train station (which houses the visitor information office).

The staff were very friendly. Service was excellent. Food was great. I had omelettes both times I went, along with a pancake. Pancakes are crepe-like, large and thin...and yummy. Coffee is nicely strong. Portions are ample but not gigantic.

A sheet of paper at each table explains the origin of the restaurant and its name and gives something of the owner's philosophy. This, along with an inspiring note on the folder that the check comes in, lends additional personality to the place.

This may be a somewhat undiscovered place, being across the river from Main St. But I doubt it will remain undiscovered for long. I expect to have to wait for a table next time I visit.

• Visited June 2013