“Enjoy Main Street shopping....but take the short walk across the river when it is time to eat!”
Review of Otto's Place

Otto's Place
Ranked #1 of 65 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Breakfast and Lunch
Reviewed October 13, 2012

My husband and I came up to Galena, IL from Springfield to enjoy the changing leaves and get a little Christmas shopping done. Food was not the main reason we came....it is the old-fashioned shopping that was the draw.

But a couple's gotta eat, right??

Although there are several nice casual restaurants on Main Street, we followed the UrbanSpoon reviews across the river to a small, but warm, wonderful little restaurant, Otto's Place. Otto's Place was born when a pair of friends renovated an ancient building on the railroad line, and converted it to a restaurant and lounge.

Dave and John have a small, limited menu, but what they offer is fresh, wholesome, organic and healthful. The menu is printed every day with the specials ... dinner choices are just 4, desserts, 3, and "when they are gone, they are gone." We enjoyed our turkey black bean chili so much that we reserved for dinner tonight, as well. On the menu are desserts; the pineapple upside down cake is made "one serving at a time," so the menu warns to allow 30 min....but, why not?

This quiet little corner is a great place to go and linger and the wine list is lovely as well. You can lounge on the sofas upstairs or eat and resume shopping, but the whole ambiance calls out for you to....rest, converse, and enjoy.

Highly recommended for anyone looking for an alternative to the high calorie, GLOP served at other restaurants.

Otto's is open for lunch every day, and dinner Friday and Saturday night only; Sunday hours are 7-2 pm.

1  Thank caringinthemoment
There are newer reviews for Otto's Place

Reviewed October 12, 2012

Our group felt so lucky to have found Otto's! Located a bit off of the beaten track, but still easy to find, we were delighted by the friendly staff and simple decor. Our breakfast was delicious and the wait staff very accommodating! The story of the restaurant/owners was a nice personal touch and it really had a "feel good" atmosphere! Will definitely go back and recommend to others!

1  Thank AlisaDan
Reviewed October 12, 2012

The hubby and I went here on our way home from our trip this year. Read others reviews so we had to try it. We both ordered sandwiches on pretzel rolls and they were both very good and may be worth a trip to try something else the next time we visit Galena. I gave it four stars because we got there about 30 minutes before they closed and I had asked one gentleman for a high chair for my one year old son. He tersely answered "no" and turned back around to what he was doing. Thought it was very rude that he didn't apologize or offer a suggestion. The hubby had to go to the car and get his stroller so at least he had somewhere to sit. If he hadn't already parked the car, I would've probably left but since we were already there and didn't feel like packing back up, we stayed. It was a good alternative to some of the other places on the main strip for a simple meal.

Reviewed October 11, 2012

EVERYTHING about this place is excellent. The hidden gem of Galena; well worth finding. Spotlessly clean; wonderfull prepared food, homemade coffee cake, attentive waitstaff.

2  Thank Sue100615
Reviewed October 3, 2012

My husband and i go to Peoria at least 5 weekends per year. We have always stayed at the Irish Cottage Boutique Hotel and the breakfast is included so we have never ventured to try anything else. The breakfast there is fine. They have scones that are very tasty so I was satisfied.

On our most recent trip to Galena, we arrived on a Friday morning versus our usual Friday evening or Saturday arrival time. We had ridden a short distance on our motorcycles that day and hadn't found anywhere for breakfast on the way. This was our opportunity to try Otto's! I had read so many great reviews about the place that I was looking forward to it.

I believe it was 10:30 and we had our choice of breakfast or lunch. Breakfast it was. I ordered the special which was a breakfast taco. Delicious. My husband ordered the banana bread french toast with a side of bacon. AMAZING! Someone at a table next to ours ordered the quiche. It was a generous portion that looked as if it was 1/4 of the pie.

On this trip we stayed at the Desoto House for the first time so we were fortunate enough to go back for breakfast a second morning. My husband insisted on the banana bread french toast again and I ordered it as well.

The staff there is beyond friendly. It was our first time there and we were treated as if we were regulars. Our waitress saw that we were on motorcycles and struck up a conversation regarding bikes. On Saturday morning we were treated just as nicely as the day before.
Lisa was one of the servers who took some time to talk to us. SO NICE! The owner even stopped by to chit chat.

This is will be our go-to place for breakfast from now on.

Believe all of the reviews. It really is that good.

1  Thank lizzzg

Been to Otto's Place? Share your experiences!