“It's all about the Crab Louis”

The Market House Restaurant
Ranked #16 of 65 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American, Seafood, Soups
Dining options: Reservations
Description: At The Market House Restaurant we focus on the dinner table with homemade food like mom and grandma use to make. We are Family Run by three sisters and a brother and enjoy helping others to share in their good times. We hope you enjoy our quaint and friendly atmosphere and that your experience is one you'll never forget.
Reviewed August 12, 2012

I've been here many times and can recommend the dill pickle appetizer. It was the first place I'd ever had it, and it is my gold standard. The crab louis is wonderful. Burgers and the portabella mushroom sandwich are also winners. The staff is wonderful and it's a nice, quiet location.

Reviewed August 12, 2012

This place is a GREAT value. I had a Cabernet Burger with grilled mushroom, onions and swiss cheese. I can't wait to make a cabernet burger at home to fill the craving they have now created.

Yes, there are plenty of nice, expensive places to eat in Galena. But this place is good, portions plenty, and has something for everyone. Did I say their prices are reasonable? They have a nice wine and cocktail list. It's family owned and has a welcoming vibe because of it.

At first I was turned off by the front dining room which isn't that appealing. There are little windows overlooking Main St. The entry from Main Street feels like you came in the restaurant from a secret back door. If you need the "grand" entrance, walk or park up the hill on Bench St and walk down the pathway along the old cobblestone hill. Ask to be seated in the garden room. It is gorgeous! Stone & brick walls, lots of light, nice wood tables and benches.

Reviewed July 28, 2012

I was surprised to see the Market House as #16 of 31 restaurants in Galena as our dinner was delicious. We had a taste for fried chicken and we were not disappointed. The cracker basket with the pate' and parmesan spread was a treat and my husband's creamed cucumbers were equally a homemade pleasant surprise. We sat in the front room with a view down on Main Street and received excellent service. Four pieces of chicken each was too much, but refrigerated it over night at the Farmers' B&B and was just as tasty for lunch the next day even cold. Looks like it may depend on what you order at the Market House that may determine your experience, so I highly recommend the crispy fried chicken!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

Right on Main Street and a little hard to find (2nd floor), but well worth it for lunch or dinner. You can tell that everything is made fresh and the servers are very well versed as to how food is prepared and the ingredients. My wife and I recently went for lunch. I had the Reuben sandwich and it compared to some of the best big city delis...it melted in your mouth, served along with warm German potato salad. My wife had a salad with some of the tastiest creamy garlic parmesan dressing that is made in-house. The prices are very reasonable for the amount and quality you receive. Highly recommend this restaurant!

Reviewed July 8, 2012

The crab louis was delicious! The servers were very friendly. The tables were a little closer together than I would have preferred.