“Excellent food/Super excellent service”
Review of Goldmoor Dining

Goldmoor Dining
Reserve with OpenTable
Goldmoor Dining is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #15 of 65 Restaurants in Galena
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine, Scenic view, Business meetings, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Cross street: Black Jack Road
Description: Unmatched Old World decor, a diverse wine cellar, and premier personal service are all complemented by our chef"s creative cuisine. Enjoy dining in one of our cozy booths or elegant tables with breathtaking views overlooking the Mississippi River.
Galena, Illinois
“Excellent food/Super excellent service”
Reviewed July 22, 2013

A group of friends have made a semi-annual visit to the Golmoor for the past 4 years. Each time we have reserved a separate room for our group. Sue has always been at our table each one of the visits. She is excellent. She can remember everyone's name and their drink preferences. She is very knowledgeable of the cuisine and extremely pleasant. She is a very big reason we enjoy our meals. The food has always been exceptional. We have never had a bad or lackluster meal. I would highly recommend the Goldmoor for special occasions. The grounds are beatifully kept and the scenery of the Mississippi river valley in the evening is spectacular.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Brookings, South Dakota, United States
“Wonderful for a romantic meal”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

My husband and I went to this lovely restaurant for the last night of our vacation in Galena. We were impressed by the lovely setting and spectacular views. The staff were friendly and welcoming and our server was a gem. I had the beef Wellington and my husband the pork medallions both were delicious. While the price was above our usual budget for eating out, for a special occasion it was not unexpected. The ambience was delightful.

Yorkville, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“17th Anniversary dinner”
Reviewed July 18, 2013

My wife and I went for our anniversary last weekend and had a great time. The food was exceptional. We had a great view of the river as well. The service was very attentive and made great suggestions for our meal. I would highly recommend them as one of the best dining experiences we have ever had. Can't wait to go back.

Chicago, Il.
“Nice for a special occasion.”
Reviewed July 12, 2013

My wife and I went there for her birthday. It was our first time there and we were not disappointed. Romantic sheeting with great views of the Mississippi at sunset. The staff was very accommodating and the service was excellent. The wine list, though limited, was moderately priced. The food was excellent. My wife had the pork medallions and I had the beef Wellington. Both well prepared. (I agree with some of the other reviews about the Brussels sprouts being served, though we liked them, it would be better if they offered another choice or told you what the vegetable was being served). We will be back.

Chicago, Illinois
“Pretty view, but be careful when you order”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Maybe it was an off night, but based on the reviews I am seeing now, it seems like there are quite a few off nights. For the price, I recommend you go to Perry Street Brasserie before heading out to Goldmoor.

The positive: The views were lovely, which made the meal quite romantic. We watched the sun set as we ate and enjoyed the view very much. The building is pretty, a fake castle. I liked the grounds. Read the website and you won't get lost finding the place. Also, the dover sole was excellent--just not enough sole. I would have appreciated a little more fish and fewer vegetables.

The areas for improvement: The wine wasn't bad, but pricey for the quality. The restaurant might consider lowering the prices or offering better wine for the price charged. For $47, I expect a better bottle of wine. Menage a Trois at Costco tastes better than the selection we made and costs $8 retail. It is a restaurant so I would have been fine paying $25-36 for the same quality wine, just not $50.

Only one side vegetable? Really? Not everyone likes Brussels sprouts. Now, I do believe they were cooked well and looked very pretty, I just don't like them. When I asked about other choices, I was told there was no alternative and that they tasted good. There was exasperation in the waitress' voice which made me wonder how often she hears this complaint. Remember to ask what the side vegetable is before ordering because you get a lot of the side vegetable. Perhaps you can negotiate more of the main item. After all, the dover sole was delicious.

My boyfriend had the Beef Wellington, which was overcooked. The mashed potatoes were rather tasteless, and while I am sure the Brussels sprouts were cooked well, he doesn't like BPs either! The meal was fine for a restaurant in England, where I expect flavorless, overcooked food half the time (although things are getting better in England), but not what I expect in a higher-priced restaurant.

The drive is pretty and the wait staff are friendly. It is hard to find the entrance because there are several similar outside doors. Enter the biggest one or call and ask which door to enter.

• Visited June 2013

Been to Goldmoor Dining? Share your experiences!