“Horsies!”

Shenandoah Riding Center
More attraction details
Owner description: The Shenandoah Riding Center is a first-rate equine facility with a top caliber staff. Its location in The Galena Territory makes it unrivaled for scenic trails and tranquil beauty. From seasoned equestrians to beginning horse enthusiasts of all ages, we have something to offer for everyone! We are under new management effective January 1st, 2014 so please stop and see us and we will do our best to make your trip an awesome experience!
Chicago, Illinois, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“Horsies!”
Reviewed May 26, 2013

Never before had I ridden a horse in my life. Consequently, I had also never showed up 10 minutes late to a horse-riding reservation. Regardless, both happened, and this group could not have been more accommodating, nor could they have provided a better time. It was raining and 50 degrees out, and I barely noticed my frigid hands the whole time through!

Visited May 2013
5 Thank Anastasia C

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Learned more in one hour than I have in 30yrsmonths of riding!”
Reviewed May 10, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I spent a glorious weekend in Galena for my birthday. Being a horse lover (& owner of 3 special needs horses) I insisted we had a ride at the local horse riding center. Upon arrival I was extremely impressed, the facility is awesome & the horses were all healthy & happy... AND SO FRIENDLY!! The owner Justin was our guide, a very friendly & informative. The most impressive thing was somehow Justin was able to break me of a very bad and 30yr habit of hanging on to the horn, nothing short of a mirical!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank foodcriticbydesire
Palatine, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great experience”
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I took my wife to Galena for a birthday weekend getaway. She had mentioned she wanted to go horseback riding so I did some research and found the Shenandoah Riding Center. Glad I did!

Justin, our guide, was very funny and took the time to explain things. That was a real help since I had never been on a horse in my life.

The trail was relatively easy and the scenery was really nice. The horses were well trained and with Justin's continued advice, I was able to enjoy the ride and not worry about falling off.

Yes, I'm feeling a little sore even a couple of days later, but I knew that would happen. I'd still go back and do it again!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank Jon K
Chicago, Illinois
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Great Place for Trail Riding”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

This is a great riding center for outdoor trail riding on well-trained, lively horses. It can be hard to find a challenging trail ride for experienced riders - this is the place to go. It's only 3-1/2 hours west of Chicago, and the scenery is breathtaking. I didn't know Illinois was that hilly. The trails here are beautiful, winding through acres of meadows and up and down the hills. And it's great that you can go trail riding year round. It's beautiful in the winter. We've been 3 times in the past year, and we will definitely be going again.
Riders can choose between a beginner and an intermediate ride. The intermediate ride is great for experienced equestrians - it's 2 hours long, with lots of jumps and cantering on the trail. The owner, Justin, has years of experience in the horse world and he takes safety seriously. They check out the rider's abilities, and match you with the right horse. If you don't have much riding experience, they can give you a lesson in the indoor ring first, until you feel comfortable on your horse. This is a unique riding center and I'm glad we discovered it so close to Chicago.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank NoreenF525
Mazomanie, Wisconsin, United States
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 14 helpful votes
“Wonderful trail riding experience”
Reviewed March 1, 2013

I try to get out and ride whenever I visit a new place and have ridden in Hawaii, Las Vegas, Phoenix, Louisiana and Wisconsin. Now I can add Illinois to my list. What a wonderful ride today! I've taken several years worth of English riding lessons and dressage but prefer Western. I have owned my own horse as well. Most trail rides are desensitized horses with no personality just following the tail in front of them. This was not the case here! Because it was only 30 degrees my BF and I were the only ones riding and Justin treated us to a wonderful experience. He was very personable and matched us with horses that complimented our riding skills. Every place I've ridden is different and has it's own draws. We had such a wonderful time I'm already planning a return visit!

Visited March 2013