“Cabins & RV Camping”
Review of Palace Campground

Palace Campground
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Galena
Palace Campground
Reviewed May 29, 2014

We've rented the cabins at The Palace for several years. They are always very clean. The AC works pretty well and beds aren't too bad.
We've also pulled our RV and camped in a site. This is a little less comfortable. We are packed in very tighly in most spots, with very little room to spread out. You feel really close to your neighbors which is less fun when you don't know them! Also backing into your site is a bit of a challenge.

3  Thank Julie B

Reviewed April 24, 2014

It is hard to believe that this place is still in operation. I have to say that I have been at quite a few campgrounds and this is the worst. I didn't even think to look at reviews because everything in Galena is beautiful. Huge mistake. It looks as though this place was built in the 5 ' s or 60 ' s and hasn't been updated since. The facilities are all rundown, chipping paint and all with visible mold and mildew with lime buildup so bad the showers barely work. The poolside bathrooms are one word...disgusting! There is no room to enjoy your site and have a campfire as the sites are awning to awning. I truly believe that there would not be as much business there if it weren't the only campground in the area. Just a shame that that is also the attitude the owner and staff have. Very rude and unfriendly. Not to mention the boxer putt bull dog she let's run around off a leash. Anyone want to make big bucks? Open a GOOD campground in Galena. This one is horrible and still seems pretty busy. Now I know what they mean when they say "location location location!

• Stayed: June 2013
8  Thank QueenLK
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We had a very nice time and this convieniently located campground. We were only there for a weekend but had a very nice time. I would have to say the full sevice sites are pretty tight but that is how a lot of the older campgrounds are. The people on both sides of us were very friendly so it was a pleasant experience.
The price was very reasonable for all you get here. The wi-fi worked great infact we were even able to stream movies. The pool was very cold but didn't slow our daughter down she still enjoyed it.I would however liked to have seen someone come out and stop the large people that were playing a game of catch that was very wild to the point of bouncing the ball off the little kids heads. We were not the only ones who left the pool because of them, but you can't hold that against the campground.
It was very clean and well kept, We loved that we could go down town walk around or eat then go back and let our 6 year old play or burn off some energy then do more sight seeing.

1  Thank tink_1964
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We stayed here the second weekend in August, and we absolutely loved it! The staff was super friendly, and they were willing to help us with anything! I, personally, didn't notice any indifferent teenagers working at the facility, not that that matters anyway. The campground was conveniently located next to a walmart, so if we forgot anything it was nice to have that option. It was very clean and well kept, and the bathrooms had FLUSHING toilets! Even though camping is an outdoor experience, they offer wi-fi for FREE, and the signal reaches to most of the sites where at other campgrounds you have to be in the office area, or they don't offer it at all. I see some of the reviews on here complain about the wi-fi, but you must take into consideration that weather DOES effect signal, and honestly it's a free service, so there shouldn't be much said about it at a campground in the first place. This campground is located right off the highway, so we were afraid there would be an issue with noise pollution, but thankfully we all got wonderful sleep, and you really don't hear much of the traffic past the front gates. It's a very family oriented place, there are a lot of activities for the kids, and I felt safe letting my children out of my supervision. I'd hate to see people not stay here due to someone else's bad experience because it's a lovely place to go! We definitely plan on making this an annual camping trip!

Room Tip: Full hook-up sites are a little cramped, go for the electric only!
1  Thank JenniC83
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Level sites, poorly placed sewer hookups, indifferent staff- unfortunately this is pretty much what the average campground is today. The teenager that checked us in only gave us a copy of the check in form, no map or list of amenities. Very casually run. If the Walmart down the street wasn't posted as no overnight parking I think the Palace CG would have very little business.

1  Thank stevedurbano
Reviewed July 18, 2013

A nice campground, lawns mowed, kids in pool but crowded RV spots when filled. Never got better than "Poor" signal for WiFi which means I got NO usable signal the whole day I was there. Office said it was the humidity but her attitude was 'tough' "move closer to the office".
Excuse me? I just set up my RV and you want me to tear it down so I can move it to the office? NO YOU get a repeater and mount it in the camping area or quit advertising WiFi.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
5  Thank OrgCtyCa
Reviewed July 16, 2013

We stayed this last weekend and my 9-year-old nephew fractured a bone in his foot when he fell off the diving board and hit it on the side of the pool. The hotel staff (think they were the owners) were working on the pool tarp at the time it happened and they did not even ask if he was okay, could we use some ice, nothing! We walked right by them as we carried him to the car, sobbing. Not a word. So, just know that you are on your own if something happens while you are there.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family