“Filthy and Gross - Get What You Pay For Here”
Review of Grant Hills Motel

Grant Hills Motel
Ranked #10 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Drove by this motel countless times on visits to Galena and thought it would be a fun, old fashioned place to stay. Read previous reviews and made our reservation. They had an outdoor pool that looked refreshing driving past.
We checked in and the first we noticed were the two upholstered chairs in the room had stains on the seats of the fabric. Not one stain but, several dark stains on both chairs. The carpet was dark brown so who knows if that was clean...we wore flip flops. Then, we folded back the bedspread and saw there were dark stains on the backside corner. Does housekeeping ever check this? It was disgusting. We tossed it into the corner of the room. The sheets and blanket were clean. The bathroom looked clean enough at first glance until you looked into the corners...it needed a bucket of bleach poured over it to clean the dirty corners. Bath mat was folded and placed on top of the toilet seat cover. Who does this? Towels were threadbare. We were staying 1 night so, as long as the sheets were clean, we stayed. Our plan was to go for a swim before we went to dinner. There was a group of questionable characters sitting on chairs near the pool entrance and they were well into their afternoon beer drinking. It was intimidating so we chose not to swim (it was a hot day and no one else was in the pool) went back to our room and sat on the bed, laughing at our disappointing choice in motel. Would not stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was recommended this hotel and The View Motel by a friend. I had never stayed at a "roadside motel" because I wasn't sure about how much noise there would be since it's right off Route 20. I looked it up on here and everything described is correct. It's no frills, budget, and very clean and basic. Easy check in and check out. Nice open space in the back that's good for grilling (has a couple of grills out there but they were a little dirty).

Only negative was that by about 8am, you awake to noises of early birds leaving and particularly housekeeping doing their job (that's why I didn't give them the 5 stars- we like to sleep in til about 10am if possible). Oh, and if you do have a bad back, the beds are very basic so this may not be the hotel for you (my back gives me issues from time to time and while I survived, I did notice the difference when I returned home from our trip).

Overall, a very nice motel. We had no issues and would stay there again.;)

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Rafael N
Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We were in Galena for a Family function on a busy, Hot, June weekend. The Motel was easy to get to, just South of downtown on a beautiful stretch of Hwy 20. As we pulled in we saw a bunch of Harley Davidson motorcycles lined up, and my Mother got a little nervous. Our room was neat, clean, the Air worked, small fridge worked great, and the bathroom was big, fully stocked and Clean!
Ritz Carlton it was not, but it had every thing we needed. After a very hot afternoon spent in Grant's park at the Memorial function we were there for, we came back and relaxed in the pool! Could use a little TLC, but we were happy, & a couple others joined us for a refreshing float. The Motorcycles belonged to a group that are from all over the States, they get together once a year somewhere where the riding is good. They were very nice, and we really didn't hear much, even when they took off! All in all we would come back. If you want a froo froo experience or a Spa, not the place for you, but if your there to explore the territories, and want somewhere comfy, clean, and budget( and Pet) friendly this is the spot! Thanks to the OFOPOS for being great neighbors!

• Stayed: June 2013
4  Thank callajester
Reviewed May 20, 2013

My sister in law and I booked two rooms for the 17th and 18th of May. I was going to bring my dog who has heart disease. I was leary but the staff went out of their way to put me in a room where the dog wouldn't be disturbed and where the dog wouldn't disturb others.

We arrived at about 2:00 in the afternoon (one hour before time to check in and WITHOUT my dog since I had found someone to care for her while I was away). Immediately the staff (owner?) lowered my rate because I didn't have the dog, which was nice. We got our keys and went in to a small but VERY VERY clean room. It wasn't new but that just made it feel more like Galena! There were nice windows looking out the back over a large, neatly mowed lawn. I liked it there.

I unpacked a couple of things then went to my sis in laws room to get her so we could go on into Galena and have a look around but she met me at the door sobbing. She had just gotten a call from her cousin (who was dog sitting for HER dog) who told her that Jake had collapsed and was at the vet. Jake has no history of illness, unlike my Daisy who we expect to have a quick turn of events. We immediately went back to the front desk and told the clerk (owner?) what happened. She didn't hesitate one moment. She just asked for our credit cards so she could reverse the charges and told us that she hoped Jake would be alright.

If this had been a large chain, we would have forfeited at least one night!

Jake is alive but he is a very sick little guy. Nobody is sure what happened to him yet but so far, it seems his liver is failing.

Thank you to Grant Hills Motel for their understanding and compassion!!! When I get to come back to Galena, I won't even consider staying anywhere else!!

Room Tip: Single rooms are full size beds and a bit small. Great for one person though!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank TravelinTena
Reviewed May 13, 2013

The Grant Hills Motel is an older mom & pop type motel. Maybe built in the 1960's. However the rooms have been updated. The room we had was clean, the bed was comfortable, plus Wi-Fi and cable tv. No breakfast, but that was fine, as most Cont. Breakfasts are not that great. We prefer to have a good breakfast at a restaurant.
So if you do not want the B&B experience in Galena, save the $$ and and spend it on a good breakfast and dinner.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank D C
Reviewed September 22, 2012 via mobile

Clean & affordable motel on US 20 about 1 mile from downtown Galena. Pros: wireless, fully equipped community kitchen, on site laundry, pool, & very accommodating staff. Cons: located on highway. Families might find kitchen useful for cooking as well as large backyard with BBQ & games. Variety of room offerings.

• Stayed: September 2012
6  Thank Bikinglibrarian
Reviewed July 22, 2012

Well usually once a year we take a motorcycle ride out to Galena from Mount Prospect with our friends. We always try to stay at the cheapest place by checking Hotels,com and if they have open rooms we stay at Grant Hills.
Last year we stayed on the lower level in the back...the room was a little dated but very clean...in the back its very quite.
This last weekend we stayed up top in unit 14 which had 2 double beds.
The unit was clean and the hostess was very nice....I recommend the Grant Hills Hotel to anyone that just needs a simple room for sleeping....they even have hot coffee in the morning.

STAY HERE!!!!