“good stay”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed October 23, 2008

We found the hotel very satisfactory. It was very clean and the staff was very nice. The room (215) seemed to have new paint and paper. It was cleaned well and promptly every morning. We ate at all 3 restaurants and they were very good. The parking garage and central location were a definite plus.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank m71
There are newer reviews for DeSoto House Hotel

Reviewed September 28, 2008

The staff and management at the Desoto are rude and very unprofessional. My husband and I have stayed at the Desoto many times. After, our last stay we'll never go back. We checked into the DeSoto for a nice weekend. Saturday night we noticed they were going to have a wedding. We were very surprised since the Desoto doesn't have any large banquet rooms. The reception was held in the atrium. Our hotel room literally vibrated with the loud music. We couldn't even stay in the room. The wedding reception ended at 11 p.m. Then we had to deal with people who had too much to drink. We were woken up by loud sounds from the upstair room. We called the desk over and over and no one answered the phone. My husband had to get dressed and go downstairs. No one was at the desk. The hotel employee was in the back room on the computer. The hotel employee went upstairs to tell the people to quiet down. He told us nothing was going on upstairs. My husband has tried calling the Desoto General manager twice. She won't even return his call. This hotel has gone from being a nice hotel to a dump!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
8  Thank autumnGurnee_IL
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I frequent the Desoto every couple of years as the drive from Chicago to Galena is picturesque and very soothing. The parking is great as there is a garge in the building which is great as parking was always a problem. The individuals at the front desk have always been warm and welcoming. This has always been our favorite hotel and always recommended it to others whenever possible. However, this year on Labor Day weekend, my husband and I made reservations directly with the Manager who was very kind and also provided us with free brunch tickets since we frequent this establishment as much as possible. How disappointed we were when we arrived. The wine tour reservations were never made along with not providing us with free brunch tickets. When I inquired about the wine tour I was rudely told that it was never made. My husband who never comments about how rude people can be stated privately that the individual at Desoto made him feel it was our fault for their mistake. In addition the room was musty, had to call downstairs for towels, the sink stopper was grimmy and full of tar. I left it out for maid service to see and clean but she put it right back in the sink. That was the last straw. To top it off, we paid $199.00 per night!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Galena_8
Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed on Friday/Saturday nights in 301 & 302. A/C worked fine, comfy bed. Older renovation shows age, but we thought that it added to the historic feel. Heard about the slanty floor in 309 here and from guests at hotel, they were amused by it.
Great location, parking and food. See the Mark Twain show while you're there.
Be prepared for occasional VERY loud Harly exhaust noise from the surrounding streets. Annoying, but not a major deal.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank LMBSeWi
Reviewed July 23, 2008

De Soto house is right in the middle of Main Street so really easy to find when you come into town. The decor is a little old fashioned but it goes with the history of the hotel. It didn't look worn though. The floor we were on had named rooms which was a nice touch. Breakfast was good and very yummy (waffles!) Parking was good and really convenient.

When we came to check out, it took some effort to get an itemised bill and then the bill didn't include our breakfast or the drinks we'd had the night before and the person on reception didn't seem to be bothered by this (good thing we are honest!)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelingNicx
Reviewed July 10, 2008

It was a fairy tale wedding. The meal was one of the best that I have ever had. The food was of high quality and served in a very professional manner. All the staff from the sales manager to the serving staff did a great job in making sure that all of my guest were treated well and my wedding was perfect. The banquet hall was decorated beautifully. It took us back in time to an era when life was simplier. This is not the usual cookie cutter hotel and maybe some of the fixtures could be updated, but this grand old hotel (over 150 years old) beats any new accomodations. The hotel even has great free wi-fi coverage, if needed. The guest rooms could use some minor updates but overall the room was very clean and neat. The location of the hotel on Main Steet with the attached parking garage are worth their weight in gold. What a cool old hotel! We will be back on our anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tracyjo1972
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Desoto House Memorial Day weekend for our 1st wedding anniversary. I will agree with many of the reviews that the location and parking were great, but that was the best part. We stayed in room 207 and had a view of the main street. I thought we payed way too much $183 a night for a horrible bed, slanted room that smelled musty. We were given 2 bath towels total and an old fraying bathmat. Our bath soap/shampoo was never refilled. This place is definitely in need of some upgrades for the hefty room rates.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple