“Disappointed with Desoto”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed September 2, 2008

My husband and I frequent the Desoto every couple of years as the drive from Chicago to Galena is picturesque and very soothing. The parking is great as there is a garge in the building which is great as parking was always a problem. The individuals at the front desk have always been warm and welcoming. This has always been our favorite hotel and always recommended it to others whenever possible. However, this year on Labor Day weekend, my husband and I made reservations directly with the Manager who was very kind and also provided us with free brunch tickets since we frequent this establishment as much as possible. How disappointed we were when we arrived. The wine tour reservations were never made along with not providing us with free brunch tickets. When I inquired about the wine tour I was rudely told that it was never made. My husband who never comments about how rude people can be stated privately that the individual at Desoto made him feel it was our fault for their mistake. In addition the room was musty, had to call downstairs for towels, the sink stopper was grimmy and full of tar. I left it out for maid service to see and clean but she put it right back in the sink. That was the last straw. To top it off, we paid $199.00 per night!

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
10  Thank Galena_8

Reviewed August 3, 2008

We stayed on Friday/Saturday nights in 301 & 302. A/C worked fine, comfy bed. Older renovation shows age, but we thought that it added to the historic feel. Heard about the slanty floor in 309 here and from guests at hotel, they were amused by it.
Great location, parking and food. See the Mark Twain show while you're there.
Be prepared for occasional VERY loud Harly exhaust noise from the surrounding streets. Annoying, but not a major deal.

• Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank LMBSeWi
Reviewed July 23, 2008

De Soto house is right in the middle of Main Street so really easy to find when you come into town. The decor is a little old fashioned but it goes with the history of the hotel. It didn't look worn though. The floor we were on had named rooms which was a nice touch. Breakfast was good and very yummy (waffles!) Parking was good and really convenient.

When we came to check out, it took some effort to get an itemised bill and then the bill didn't include our breakfast or the drinks we'd had the night before and the person on reception didn't seem to be bothered by this (good thing we are honest!)

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank TravelingNicx
Reviewed July 10, 2008

It was a fairy tale wedding. The meal was one of the best that I have ever had. The food was of high quality and served in a very professional manner. All the staff from the sales manager to the serving staff did a great job in making sure that all of my guest were treated well and my wedding was perfect. The banquet hall was decorated beautifully. It took us back in time to an era when life was simplier. This is not the usual cookie cutter hotel and maybe some of the fixtures could be updated, but this grand old hotel (over 150 years old) beats any new accomodations. The hotel even has great free wi-fi coverage, if needed. The guest rooms could use some minor updates but overall the room was very clean and neat. The location of the hotel on Main Steet with the attached parking garage are worth their weight in gold. What a cool old hotel! We will be back on our anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank tracyjo1972
Reviewed May 27, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Desoto House Memorial Day weekend for our 1st wedding anniversary. I will agree with many of the reviews that the location and parking were great, but that was the best part. We stayed in room 207 and had a view of the main street. I thought we payed way too much $183 a night for a horrible bed, slanted room that smelled musty. We were given 2 bath towels total and an old fraying bathmat. Our bath soap/shampoo was never refilled. This place is definitely in need of some upgrades for the hefty room rates.

• Stayed: May 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bfish527
Reviewed October 21, 2007

My wife and I have stayed many times at the DeSoto House. It's convenience and accessibility to Main Street is unmatched. The hotel has a wonderful ambience of history and the center courtyard is a attractive feature. Unfortunately, this last stay will probably be our final one. Our room was 313, the Stephen Douglas room. We has previously stayed in this room and enjoyed the view of downtown and the long stairway up the hill. Because of it's age, there are some quirks and idiosyncrasies in the hotel, which can be part of it's charm. Some of the furnishings and decor are becoming worn and need updating. The floors slope and there's often an odor that older buildings possess. Upon entering our room, we both noticed a moldy/musty odor. When we returned to our room later that evening, the smell was overpowering. The windows are all painted shut. It was too late to think about moving to another room, so we put the bathroom fan on and got through the night. When I checked out, I mentioned the problem to the front clerk, but got little response. Since we paid over $250 for the night, I felt disappointed.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank Rockabeat
Reviewed October 15, 2007

We just returned from a Friday-Saturday stay. First of all the good things....you can't beat the location. It was wonderful not to have to get into your car and drive, find a parking spot, drive back to your hotel or worry about over time parking. The staff was more than friendly and with a full house and three weddings, that says alot in itself. The 'no smoking" policy in the rooms is by far one of the best yet. We did not eat dinner or breakfast at the hotel, but did have lunch in the Green Street Tavern and it was very good and I must say the best bloody mary's that I have had in a long time. The room and overall hotel does need some attention. The entrance, hallways, and elevators all need new carpet. With the price of the room per night, I would think that they could afford to have a better mattress on the beds, newer carpet and updated bathroom fixtures. The floor in our room.....#309, overlooking main street was so un-level that I felt like I was falling out of bed. It would also be nice to have a "limited' room servce menu. Overall the experience was just that and we were glad that we did it, but most likely won't do it again.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple