“History throughout; Free Parking Since 1855”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed February 15, 2014

Great location in the heart of downtown Galena. You can walk everywhere. And if you're in Galena to immerse in some history, the DeSoto is an ideal place.

Boxy and not especially eye-pleasing from the street (this is what Midwestern inns looked like 150 years ago), it has a warm, dark-wood, historic feel upon entering. You can park for 15 minutes in front while checking-in, then stow your car a half-block down. "Free Parking Since 1855", the sign proclaims.

Classic check-in desk and hospitable staff. A fun place to explore, with curious shops (including a root beer emporium) and the DeSoto's three eateries. The Courtyard restaurant is in a soaring atrium, with 19th Century light fixtures and clocks. Photos and lithographs of Galena history, U.S. Grant and Black Hawk cover every wall. Grant supposedly used it as his campaign HQ.

The rooms are named for either politicians or writers. Unlike many politicians and writers, the room was clean and efficient. Like many politicians and writers, though, our room was a little tight and had dark corners.

The "windows" in the room looked down into the atrium which was illuminated all night and had some loud breakfasters in the morning. Thin walls; heard a couple next door squabbling at 5 a.m. But it had a coffee-maker, cable, a great shower and a firm mattress, so we were fine. We would definitely stay at the DeSoto again.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms looking into the atrium.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for DeSoto House Hotel

Reviewed January 26, 2014

A wonderful historic hotel, made fairly comfortable. They have a museum/history room, a great atrium area. The room came with full/order off the menu breakfast, and was over generous is portions and delicious. The staff was pleasant and attentive. Our room was pleasant and comfortable, but the closet area was very small and didn't allow for stowing our luggage. The location could not have been better. Right in the heart of the cutest town...we were there before Thanksgiving, it had snowed, and it looked just like we had stepped into a Thomas Kincade painting! Because of the snow, we definitely appreciated the parking garage attached to the hotel so that we could get to the car without being outside.

Room Tip: our room had windows that opened to the interior. If you like having windows that afford a breeze...
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We loved the history of this hotel. It's beautifully decorated. My two sons, my nephew, my twin sister and I stayed here and we all loved it. The high ceilings the soft beds and the room smelled great upon entering. It is perfectly located and the free parking is a great bonus!! I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here with another couple over Thanksgiving weekend '13. Huge and very nice hotel with an enormous amount of history. We stayed in the "Thomas Nast" room which was very large. We didn't eat at the hotel but the bar was a nice place to stop by for a while. The hotel also couldn't be better located right on Main St. in the heart of Galena.

It's amazing how many legendary 19th/early 20th century figures stayed at the DeSoto. If you're a history dork like I am or you're into potentially haunted places then this place is right in your wheelhouse. I would definitely recommend the DeSoto if you're looking for a nice hotel in the center of everything in Galena.

Room Tip: The third floor is apparently haunted!
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is a wonderful, historic hotel nestled right on Main Street! We had made a special request at check-in that was cheerfully filled without a blink of an eye! The staff is superb, knowledgable and professional. What a great place!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our stay in General's Row.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our Business held it's Christmas party at the Hotel. Service was excellent and the food was very well presented. Offering several selections I chose the Strip Steak and it was delicious as were the potatoes. Dessert was a choice of 3 different cakes.... I chose lemon, and a great choice it was they also offered a generous scoop of ice cream (vanilla) that was very good as well. If you are looking for a historical property to visit, stay and eat the Desoto should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We loved the bed and breakfast feel of our room, and on our visit the staff was pleasant. We had a great time in the little town, the food was excellent (we did eat at the hotel once), and it was overall a good weekend. However, in the morning we did notice a rather large patch of mold/mildew in the bedroom and when I emailed the hotel upon returning home to inform them of the room number and the issue, I expected to receive at the very least an email in return apologizing or at least recognizing my email. I feel if an issue isn't recognized and addressed, then it remains an issue and isn't reconciled. Do remember it is an old building and may have moisture issues.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Jo C
DominiqueCross, General Manager at DeSoto House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded December 14, 2013

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the DeSoto House. I'm glad that in many ways you did enjoy your stay! I do apologize that you did not receive a response to your email, I sincerely believe it was an oversight. Please visit again soon!