“Stunning!!!”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Galena
“Stunning!!!”
Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We loved the history of this hotel. It's beautifully decorated. My two sons, my nephew, my twin sister and I stayed here and we all loved it. The high ceilings the soft beds and the room smelled great upon entering. It is perfectly located and the free parking is a great bonus!! I highly recommend staying here.

Stayed October 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed January 2, 2014

My wife and I stayed here with another couple over Thanksgiving weekend '13. Huge and very nice hotel with an enormous amount of history. We stayed in the "Thomas Nast" room which was very large. We didn't eat at the hotel but the bar was a nice place to stop by for a while. The hotel also couldn't be better located right on Main St. in the heart of Galena.

It's amazing how many legendary 19th/early 20th century figures stayed at the DeSoto. If you're a history dork like I am or you're into potentially haunted places then this place is right in your wheelhouse. I would definitely recommend the DeSoto if you're looking for a nice hotel in the center of everything in Galena.

Room Tip: The third floor is apparently haunted!
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Fairbanks, Alaska
Reviewed December 28, 2013

This is a wonderful, historic hotel nestled right on Main Street! We had made a special request at check-in that was cheerfully filled without a blink of an eye! The staff is superb, knowledgable and professional. What a great place!

Room Tip: We enjoyed our stay in General's Row.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Galena, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Our Business held it's Christmas party at the Hotel. Service was excellent and the food was very well presented. Offering several selections I chose the Strip Steak and it was delicious as were the potatoes. Dessert was a choice of 3 different cakes.... I chose lemon, and a great choice it was they also offered a generous scoop of ice cream (vanilla) that was very good as well. If you are looking for a historical property to visit, stay and eat the Desoto should be at the top of your list.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
Des Moines, Iowa
Reviewed December 13, 2013

We loved the bed and breakfast feel of our room, and on our visit the staff was pleasant. We had a great time in the little town, the food was excellent (we did eat at the hotel once), and it was overall a good weekend. However, in the morning we did notice a rather large patch of mold/mildew in the bedroom and when I emailed the hotel upon returning home to inform them of the room number and the issue, I expected to receive at the very least an email in return apologizing or at least recognizing my email. I feel if an issue isn't recognized and addressed, then it remains an issue and isn't reconciled. Do remember it is an old building and may have moisture issues.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jo C
DominiqueCross, General Manager at DeSoto House Hotel, responded to this review, December 14, 2013
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the DeSoto House. I'm glad that in many ways you did enjoy your stay! I do apologize that you did not receive a response to your email, I sincerely believe it was an oversight. Please visit again soon!
Pekin, Illinois
Reviewed November 24, 2013 via mobile

The DeSoto house, located on the main shopping strip, is just what the title of this review says. We were not disappointed. Though we did not spend a lot of time in the room, we found it comfortable. The room felt like a bed and breakfast, but with the amenities of a larger hotel.

We would stay here again for the location but preferred The Irish Cottage.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 12, 2013 via mobile

My twin my son and my two nephews stayed here for a night and it was wonderful. The hotel was full if history and charm. The room was huge and the beds were comfy. We wanted to see a ghost but did not (maybe next time). We ate at generals and the courtyard. Both great. Loved the generals in the basement. Our boys loved it and always wanted to be in the room. I loved the location and will definitely stay here again.

Stayed October 2013