“Historical charm, modern amenities, great location.”
Review of DeSoto House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Galena
DeSoto House Hotel
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Iowa
“Historical charm, modern amenities, great location.”
Reviewed July 19, 2013

It may be old, but it’s solid gold! Staying here is very much a part of the historical Galena experience. You just cannot beat the prime main street location. Plus they have FREE parking in their parking garage. I have stayed in many an old historic hotel and can honestly say that this one is in very good shape. Our well appointed room was huge. The air worked great, the beds and pillows were super comfy, the modern bathroom lacked nothing and the main street view from our windows (yes, 3 huge windows!!!) was to die for. As an old building there are some minor quirks, one being no central elevator between the hotel and the parking garage, and there are some uneven floors in the hallways, but this was such a minor complaint. Courteous knowledgeable staff. Great historic hotel!

2 Thank FarmGirl44

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
Rock Island, Illinois, Usa
Reviewed July 18, 2013

I stayed in the Simpson Grant room at the De Soto House in historic Galena, Illinois. The room was very spacious and clean with a very comfortable king size bed. The manager switched rooms when I checked in due to mold around the AC unit which they accommodated immediately upon request. They offered a package of breakfast and a trolley ride, which I declined due to scheduling, but I have taken this package previously and it is a nice addition for $35. The rooms are updated and decorated in the Victorian decor of 1855 when the hotel was built and housed the likes of Lincoln and PT Barnum. You step back in time at this hotel but everything is updated and first class.

Room Tip: Rooms that face the atrium can be a little quieter than rooms that face the street.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Bruce N
Rockford, Illinois
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed at the DeSoto for 2 nights in July and had a great stay. We arrived at about noon and our rooms were ready so we were able to check in early which was very nice. Our room was on the 3rd floor and was an interior room so it was kind of dark, but since we didnt spend a lot of time there it wasn't a big deal. All the staff was friendly and helpful, the room was clean and the hotel itself is beautiful and full of history. The location was great and we walked everywhere. The breakfast buffet in the courtyard restaurant was delicious! We didn't eat at the other on-site restaurants so I can't speak to those. Overall, the DeSoto was excellent and I would stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for an exterior room for great views and natural light
2 Thank DayTripper891
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Our weekend trip to Galena was another success. The online reservations, and speedy check-in at the DeSoto gave us a great start tot the weekend. Our room was quiet and comfortable. I had no problem with using the wi-fi, everyone was so friendly and any request was taken care of quickly. We will stay again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RosiePeoria_Illinois
Galena, Il
Reviewed July 11, 2013

Again a wonderful experience by Deb Bertucci and staff. It has become a family tradition, we feel so welcomed, the food is wonderful, the wonderful ombience of the occasion. The decorations are exceptional. The fact that you are not shoved and pushed. The children are safe and secure. We have now been there for 7 years. We wouldn't think of being anywhere else. While building my home, there were several excursions at the De Soto. Each time seemed to outdo the one before. This time, as in the pass, we have sent our out of town guest there. Again everyone was so pleased. I guess what I am saying is individual couples all agree what a great place to stay in Galena. Thank you. M. Arnold

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Peoria, Illinois
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We come to Galena every year and always stay at DeSoto. Shelia is the best employee and wish I could hire her to work at my business :). The other staff is good too. Comfy rooms, great food and location, location, location. I did email Deb the manager who never responded, but I guess we all get busy. As an advisor, if you're going to Galena, the DeSoto is the only place to stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank HorseColl
Naperville, Illinois
Reviewed July 8, 2013

My husband and I stayed over the 4th of July, including participating in the rooftop celebration. The party included favors, activities for the children so they were able to burn off their energy and entertain everyone, the food was delicious, the staff was knowledgeable and courteous in all parts of the hotel, the view of the fireworks was spectacular, etc. It was a special occasion for us, which I had mentioned when making the reservation, and it was celebrated with a bottle of wine in our room! In addition, I've traveled frequently, and this is the first time a hotel has shown the courtesy of putting bottled water in the room. Overall, the experience was wonderful and I would wholly recommend DeSoto House Hotel to anyone wanting to stay in historic Galena, right in the middle of the Main Street shopping district.