“Not fancy, but quiet and great views/sunset!!!”

Chestnut Mountain Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Saint Charles, Illinois
“Not fancy, but quiet and great views/sunset!!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 16, 2007

This resort is in a great location. It is a fun drive up the "mountain" and you have gorgeous views of the Mississippi River once you arrive at the resort. The sunsets are incredible! But, I stayed at this resort in the mid-'80s and it has not been updated since then. I felt like I stepped into a time machine. They have built a new 20,000 sq ft ski center that looked very nice. Maybe the bathrooms in the rooms were updated, but have only one low sink and are very small. The hallway to the room was very musty smelling. The room was fine for me; it was clean and had no odors. The resort was packed for the weekend, but it was very quiet. If you are a ight sleeper like me, it was great! I never heard a sound the whole night or morning! The Alpine Slide is VERY FUN for all ages. My 3-year-old daughter loved it, my husband and I loved it (we are 41-years-old) and my 74-year-old and 78-year-old parents loved it!!!! The chair lifts are so relaxing! The restaurant food was good. The dinner waitress was great, but the breakfast wait staff made us wait a long time before we were even acknowledged. The whirlpool is the best! Very hot and many many jets. One other minor thing: Bring your hair dryer. They don't have them in the room; you have to go to the front desk and request one. The first one I used Saturday morning smelled like it was going to start on fire. The second one I used on Sunday morning was not much better. I do have a compliment: We requested a pac n' play for my 3-year-old daughter and it was a nice Graco one and it was already in the room when we checked in. My daughter slept great and I slept great and that is important to me. Even though there are problems, I still recommend this resort.

• Liked — The quiet atmosphere and the sunsets!
  • Disliked — The musty smell in the hallway.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
chicgo, IL
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2007

Hubby and some friends decided on a last minute get away to Galena, IL from Chicago. We choose this place because of location. Upon arrival we were greeting with a musty smell in the lobby. Upon checkin we go up to the room on the 4th floor and discovered there was no elevator. Halls and bottom portion of the walls were carpeted with this dirty dark colored berber carpet. Yuck!

We got in the room (musty gross smell). Bed was terribly soft and bring your own pillows (flat pillows). Baths are clean but so dated! Shower was horrible, never felt like I could wash off the soap or shampoo. The linens were ok, nothing spectacular. Definitely not a place I'd go back.

Buffet breakfast was Denny's style. We did cross over into Dubuque Iowa, NOTHING to do but the Casino....oh and the Mississippi wreecked like a septic tank. Not worth the drip, town felt deserted. Don't bother going unless you want to go to the Casino.

All in all don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed July 2007
2 Thank DeLosSuenos

Travelers are raving about these Galena hotels

St. Louis, MO
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2006

Although the view was beautiful, even during the off season. The resort is a dump. The room decore. is outdated., cheap and tacky looking. I've seen college dorms in better condition. Our room had a horrible musty/old smell. They charged us a $20/night deposit. We had booked 6 rooms at the resort. We were there for a wedding and the reception was at the hotel. Come to find out our room was the only room that was charged for the deposit.

When we checked in, they over charged our bill, basically they kept our deposit and charged us for the room rather than applying the deposit to our bill. The clerk didn't even notice until I pointed it out to him and then he was not able to refund the money on our card, due to their slow billing system it would take weeks for it to show up. They did give us cash back. They had us down for only 2 people in the room and there were four staying, which ment now we had to pay an additional $5/per person per night for the extra people.

When we checked out, they told us that our bill was still incorrect and that we didn't pay enough. My husband asked to speak to the manager and she was not on duty yet. My husband told them that he had already way overpaid for this place and wasn't going to give them another dime. We left. My father (the groom) called the manager the next day to see if he could find out what was going on with our bill. He spoke to a supervisor or manager and she said that our bill was fine and had no notes or any idea that there was a problem with our bill.

If you're going to advertise as as a resort and charge a $110. a night, then I would expect to have accommodations that match that price. If I would have only paid $50-$60 a night, I would not be complaining. I would never recommend this resort to anyone or ever stay there again.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank kline77
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2006

This is was the first time my girlfriend and I have ever seen Galena, IL. I wanted to surprise her with a romantic getaway from the city and I wanted it to be memorable during this Memorial Day weekend. At first I didn't even want to stay here because it was labeled a "ski" resort, and supposedly not a great summer place to be. However, after all the great hotels and resorts were booked, this was the only real choice I had, and I am glad the choice was put upon me because this place was awesome.

The resort itself is indeed a "ski" resort but during the summer time they transfer themselves into a little amusement park. There is an 18 hole mini golf, a hike area, a bike trail, a huge game room, open pool/Jacuzzi/sauna, and of course a super slide that is called the Alpine Slide (300+ feet fast curving slide).

The resort has an awesome restaurant with a phenomenal decline view of the ski hills that lead right down to the Mississippi River banks. The sun goes down right in the middle of these windows at dawn for dinner and provides a soft wake up call for breakfast. The first night we arrived at the resort we had dinner at the restaurant; the food was great along with the service – I had the filet mignon and my girlfriend had the catch of the day. Although the only two couples that were there was us and this older couple that have a vacation home here in Galena, IL – the couple were here just for dinner and they have known the server for 20+ years (this just shows you what kind of place this is). However, as the Memorial Day weekend actually started the next day the service during breakfast tailored down a little because of the vast amount of people, but it was a buffet and the fact it was free I really couldn’t complain that much. I don’t really drink, but they have a full service bar next to the restaurant as well.

The rooms were comfortable with basic TV and PPV movies. We received fine room service with new towels each day. The only thing that bothers me was that the water didn’t seem hard of enough or simply didn’t clean well enough. It wasn’t that the shower head or the faucet wasn’t strong enough it just seemed that soap/shampoo never came off completely, and this is me bringing my own soap and shampoo from home.

The location of the resort is on top of hill; therefore, it takes a little bit of effort getting to it. However, I found the ride going through it was part of the fun. It goes up and down with a lot of curves that thrill. I just wish I would have brought my motorcycle instead of my truck. The scenery that surrounded the roads was beautiful and at night the roads are only seen through your headlights or by the shine of the stars. Getting into the main district of Galena was fifteen minutes and the trip to Dubuque IA took twenty plus minutes (I highly recommend a trip to Dubuque IA for the food and the Aquarium Museum).

BEST of ALL, during the summer time, if this is the first time or second time you have been in Galena, the resort offers a weekend package that includes a lot of Galena activities. We usually don’t like things done for us, but this one bites the cake because we did everything we wanted to do. The package included all breakfast, one dinner, a tourist trolley ride, horse back riding, two games of mini golf and five Alpine slides. I estimated that we have save almost $75 each person because of this package.

Overall, great experience for us in Chestnut Mountain resort, and for people of all ages - I just hope that his experience will be the same when we come back here for skiing.

• Stayed May 2006
12 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2006

So, it's a bit tired, the old place. But, what a gorgeous setting!! Nestled at the top of the mountain above the Mississippi, spring is a perfect time to appreciate the view from this resort. We had the place practically to ourselves! The staff seemed happy to see us (perhaps lonely?) since they told us it's packed during ski season, but really tapers off come spring. The lounge area has a beautiful view, great appetizers and a friendly staff. Perfect for a late afternoon cocktail. Kids loved the mini golf, right on the grounds, although the popular alpine slide wasn't open yet. The pool was refreshing as was the hot tub, but the hot tub didn't seem too pristine (lack of use?). The room was a bit musty at first but fresh air did the trick. The room was huge with plenty of room for five. Best of all, this place was a bargain. We tried to go during ski season but it was either booked or had expensive packages attached to it. This is a good, very inexpensive way to see if you like it enough to come back to ski. I think we will. But you really can't beat it for the price. Great for a weekend getaway from the Chicago area.

Stayed April 2006
6 Thank travelbugs5
San Jose, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2006

Spent a weekend getaway at Chestnut Mountain Resort. As it's off-season, not skiing-not summer we got a great rate. For that price, this place was a gem! It even included a hot breakfast - what a deal! We really enjoyed the pool and jacuzzi. We had drinks in the lounge which also had a great view. The rooms may be a bit dated but they are HUGE! We found our room to be very clean and nicely appointed - and again at the price it was a DEAL! The drive to / from the resort is incredible ... that was half the fun. Just gorgeous. All in all - I'd highly recommend this place and we would surely stay here again. The service was a bit spotty - like waiting 30 mintues for the breakfast - but then again - it was free so take it w/a grain of salt! Otherwise, it made for a fantastic place to get away from the city for a weekend and pretend your back in Ireland - because that what the rolling hills look like in the spring!

• Stayed April 2006
8 Thank Jules T
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2006

I read the other negative reviews and was apprehensive about staying at the lodge. At check-in I requested to see the room first. The room was clean, had no strange odors, and worked just fine. Staff was friendly in the lodge and out on the slopes. Never sampled their food but the drinks were served stiff...as requested. Had a great time!!

• Stayed February 2006