“Average, mediocre hotel but close to activities”

Chestnut Mountain Resort
Ranked #9 of 11 Hotels in Galena
Reviewed July 14, 2008

The resort / hotel is rather old and worn out. The rooms were just OK - again probably time for a remodeling task to be done. We hada 2 queen beds room which was reasonably sized. Odd room numbers have a view of the Mississippi river. Staff members were OK. Free breakfast is essentially $8 per person off from the total bill. Breakfast buffet was $6.99 and was average. Although an aging hotel, which is 8-10 miles from downtown Galena, the attractions (summertime) of the Alpine Slide, River cruises, Chair lifts, mini-golf, etc. were on the property and therefore convenient to get to. Swimming pool and hot tub were quite aged as well. The drive to/from Galena and US-20 is scenic and with lot of animal farms and corn fields, although it is slow given that much of the road was dirt roads. If you are OK with a 3-star hotel showing signs of age at a reasonable price, this one is good.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Reviewed March 30, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the resort March 28-30, 2008. This was our first time at the resort and we were skeptical about our stay. The room was clean. The staff was courteous and friendly and the view was spectacular. The hot tub was lovely but somewhat small. Breakfast was included in the price both days in the dining area.The pancakes were delicious. My husband reports that the omelette and hash browns were great!! Be aware that they do not have an elevator . The resort isn't as modern as some of the others but for a reasonably priced stay it's worth it. We recommend this resort to all. We will definately return.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 19, 2008

We wanted a quick weekend trip to do some snowboarding and Chestnut mtn was only 3 hours from Chicago....
Unfortunately the rooms are very sad...the faceplate from the phone was missing and the lamps are bolted down to the furniture. The rooms seemed clean but are in need of a major renovation. The food at the resort is terrible and the service is slow. Luckily there are some good dining options in nearby Galena. The ski school and their staff are very friendly and competant.
I really doubt that we will ever stay here again. I can't believe we paid more than $100 for our room. What a ripoff!

Stayed: March 2008
Reviewed October 29, 2007

Mattresses were horrible and had to be original to the Resort when it opened. No Elevator and we were staying on the 3rd floor, so you have to haul your bags up the stairs. Resort was extremely outdated as far as decor goes. Hotel had a musty, smokey smell throughout even in the non-smoking rooms. However, the room was clean. Also had a beutiful view and remote location.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed October 12, 2007

We spent a day in Galena and stayed the night at the Chestnut. We went in their off-season which seems like off-season would be anytime
there is no snow. This may be a great place for ski bums but the rest
of the year it is pretty rough. The indoor pool is nice but the hotel
is in need of a major renovation. Also, the kitchen closed by 9:00 so
there were no late night snacks. It is also 8 miles from town with NOTHING nearby to go get something to eat or do. The beds were terrible and the pillows were soft.

The view is fantastic overlooking the Mississippi River and the surrounding hills from up high. The indoor pool is very nice and has a whirlpool. There is also a downhill sled track during the summer and an outdoor miniature putting course.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank txsaluki
Reviewed August 16, 2007

This resort is in a great location. It is a fun drive up the "mountain" and you have gorgeous views of the Mississippi River once you arrive at the resort. The sunsets are incredible! But, I stayed at this resort in the mid-'80s and it has not been updated since then. I felt like I stepped into a time machine. They have built a new 20,000 sq ft ski center that looked very nice. Maybe the bathrooms in the rooms were updated, but have only one low sink and are very small. The hallway to the room was very musty smelling. The room was fine for me; it was clean and had no odors. The resort was packed for the weekend, but it was very quiet. If you are a ight sleeper like me, it was great! I never heard a sound the whole night or morning! The Alpine Slide is VERY FUN for all ages. My 3-year-old daughter loved it, my husband and I loved it (we are 41-years-old) and my 74-year-old and 78-year-old parents loved it!!!! The chair lifts are so relaxing! The restaurant food was good. The dinner waitress was great, but the breakfast wait staff made us wait a long time before we were even acknowledged. The whirlpool is the best! Very hot and many many jets. One other minor thing: Bring your hair dryer. They don't have them in the room; you have to go to the front desk and request one. The first one I used Saturday morning smelled like it was going to start on fire. The second one I used on Sunday morning was not much better. I do have a compliment: We requested a pac n' play for my 3-year-old daughter and it was a nice Graco one and it was already in the room when we checked in. My daughter slept great and I slept great and that is important to me. Even though there are problems, I still recommend this resort.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with family
Reviewed July 22, 2007

Hubby and some friends decided on a last minute get away to Galena, IL from Chicago. We choose this place because of location. Upon arrival we were greeting with a musty smell in the lobby. Upon checkin we go up to the room on the 4th floor and discovered there was no elevator. Halls and bottom portion of the walls were carpeted with this dirty dark colored berber carpet. Yuck!

We got in the room (musty gross smell). Bed was terribly soft and bring your own pillows (flat pillows). Baths are clean but so dated! Shower was horrible, never felt like I could wash off the soap or shampoo. The linens were ok, nothing spectacular. Definitely not a place I'd go back.

Buffet breakfast was Denny's style. We did cross over into Dubuque Iowa, NOTHING to do but the Casino....oh and the Mississippi wreecked like a septic tank. Not worth the drip, town felt deserted. Don't bother going unless you want to go to the Casino.

All in all don't expect much and you won't be disappointed.

Stayed: July 2007