“Excellent Package this year”

Eagle Ridge Resort & Spa
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Galena
North Aurora, Illinois
“Excellent Package this year”
Reviewed April 19, 2012

Friends and I routinely come to Eagle Ridge for the World Class Golf Package in the spring. This year there were six of us and we rented a huge house on the property. Everything was first rate. The customer service at check in was the best we have ever had, the food quality was excellent and the General was in excellent shape. We had a minor snafu with some of the details of the golf course but the general manager and golf manager were quick to reply to our small concern and more than compensated for our inconvenience. I have been critical of Eagle Ridge in the past and really feel they were on their game this year.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
Chicago
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We've been going to Eagle Ridge for twenty years. In our opinion, it's located in the most beautiful part of Illinois. It's vistas are breathtaking! The resort itself has gone through a few ownership changes down through the years, and some of them weren't very good. But the current manage management seems to get it. The property is very ell maintained, the staff is friendly and helpful and the range of accommodations is great. We prefer the one bedroom townhouses. They all have kitchens and gives you the option of buying or bringing your on food and cooking it yourself. They are not created equal so I suggest you take a visual tour beforehand to help make the best choice. There is much to do without ever leaving the property; golf, tennis, the spa,swimming, taking walks through the woods or just sitting on deck relaxing with a drink. The restaurant is good and reasonably priced.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EugeneMChicago
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed April 1, 2012

I'd give it a solid 3.5 stars.

We were looking for a fast weekend getaway that wasn't Lake Geneva since that's usually our go to spot. Rooms here seemed reasonably priced considering it's probably the nicest property in Galena.

When making my reservation over the phone, my experience wasn't the greatest. The girl who answered sounded like she hated her job or had been up for the last 24 hours. She asked if we were celebrating anything special and when I said a "baby-moon" there was silence on the other end... a few seconds later I said "hello?" and she responded with "I'm here". More silence then she asked what dates I wanted again. Not very professional for what's considered an upscale resort.

Check in was smooth and the lobby was rustic and cozy. It also smelled very fresh and spa like. We chose a room in the main lodge. These rooms are more expensive and I really didn't think it was worth it. They are not very spacious and our view was the roof of the pool house. You pay more here because it's convenient and close to the restaurant/spa, etc. It was a bit dated, the bathroom counter was small and did not have shelves or a cabinet to store bathroom essentials. (This should be considered when remodeling, us women have plenty to put in the bathrooms). You also had to call guest services if you wanted conditioner as they only give you shampoo, moisturizer, and soap. Overall the room seemed clean, but I'm a germaphobe and when I ran my finger across the bathroom counter top it was grimy as well as the mirror over the desk. The baseboards in the room could also use a good scrubbing. I stayed in a town home in the past and while that's a short drive from the lodge, I may consider it next time.

The spa was fantastic, and I will write a separate review for that. I actually opted to shower there instead of in our room.

Internet "dead zone". Iphones were very slow and the "Eagle Ridge" wi-fi sucked.

The coffee shop on Friday morning had about 2 muffins in the case and they are not open in the afternoon.

The grounds are beautiful and my husband enjoyed the golf.

After considering other resorts in the area I would come back to Eagle Ridge.

Room Tip: Rooms in main lodge are convenient to the restaurant and spa, however you'll get more for your m...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KLD88
Illinois
Reviewed March 29, 2012

Recently spent the weekend here with my girlfriend in March. I live about an hour away, so am familiar with the area. We planned a girlfriend spa getaway. Arrived Friday pm, check in was efficient and pleasant. Our room was in the building across the courtyard. The buildings are a little rustic looking, but fit in with the surroundings. Our room had 2 very comfy queen beds and was clean. We had free wifi and usual amenities, no fridge though. Our room opened onto a balcony overlooking a paved trail. Due to it being winter and spa plans we did not try out the trail. Friday ate in the main DR. Staff was very friendly, food was very good, nice wine list. Saturday went into Galena for the day, and returned for late pm spa treatments. We have Spa experience from Grand Geneva, Sundara etc. Locker rooms nice, however pool, sauna, n whirlpool were in a different location down the hall. Did not care for that. Locker room had showers, steam room, n makeup area. The "quiet room" wait area for spa was for both sexes and very dimly lit and small. I would have liked to have done some reading there, but it was quite darkly lit, probably a good thing with a few men clients around. Had a pedicure n massage. both were excellent and service at spa desk was great. I thought the spa package was a great deal and would go again, maybe when the weather was warmer. Sunday ate the brunch in the dining room. It did not compare with Grand Geneva's, but was acceptable.

Room Tip: Stayed in unit across from main lodge. very quiet, not sure about rooms in lodge.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Famtravel5
Palm Springs, California
Reviewed March 20, 2012

I have stayed in one and two bedroom condos (or villas) many times at Eagle Ridge. I have been pleased with some and not so pleased with others. While all the front desk clerks are nice, problems do occur. This past weekend I had requested a specific unit and did not recieve it but was OK with it as long as my other requests were honored. I went to check out the villa and it was down two fights of stairs, which my dad can't handle. I called the front desk and they upgraded us to a two bedroom for no charge on the main level. We were happy until we saw the villa. There were dead bugs and flies all over, the decor was outdated, and the room was about 80 degrees! Eventually, it cooled after a few hours of air running full blast. Another issue was that there were some very drunk ladies walking outside and they were shouting/singing and yelling. One of them walked by my car and said she wanted to steal it! I called security and while he was very nice, he refused to go talk to the drunk women, even though we knew which villa they were in! Overall, I am not sure when I will return to this resort.

Room Tip: If you are staying in a villa or home, request the specific location, building, address etc. The sta...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Chillicothe, Illinois
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Arrived on a Saturday morning for a one night stay at the resort and to visit "The Town that Time Forgot" Galena, Illinois. When we arrived, our room was not ready so we stored our luggage in a room the resort provided and headed into town. We were able to walk the streets and visit the Ulysses S.Grant Musemum, located downtown. We had lunch at Gobbie's Sports Pub and Eatery, which served a large combo platter appetizer and great tasting pizza with a salad. All were satisfied with the amount of food. We then walked to Grant's home (about a 15 minute walk from downtown up a steep hill) which has well informed tour guides. We went back to Eagle Ridge and our room was ready, but had only one bed. We had three people and needed a room with two beds. Since all the other rooms were booked, they offered us an upgrade to a one bedroom villa at no additional charge. The original room looked great and had a balcony and a geat view of the lake/river area, but the villa was a half a mile from the main building and was on the golf course. The one bedroom villa had a King sized bed and a sofa sleeper in the living room area, which our son really enjoyed since he had the big screen tv all to himself once we retired for the night. The villa was well equiped for our short stay, with a kicthen (stocked with refrigerater, microwave, dishes, cups, glasses, etc.) with a coffee pot and coffee, Since the weather was great, I enjoyed spending the late evening sitting on the deck looking out on to the course and up at the stars and enjoying the breeze, drinking some decafe. There was a shuttle service available to take us back and forth from our villa to the main buidling. The manager and staff at the hotel were all great and seemed to take a concerned approach to our well-being with our stay. We are contemplating a longer return stay to take advantage at what all is available at the resort (biking, hiking, boating, Golfing) and take a longer look at this quante little town - "that time forgot".

Room Tip: Its best to ask what kind of activities are going on during your stay and ask to be located away fro...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank zmansworld
Lancashire
Reviewed March 5, 2012

Spent two nights in king executive with lake view on Sun 26th Feb to Tues 28th. No complaints, clean room very comfortable ( a fridge would be good in summer) Would recommend the Woodlands Lounge in the evening.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple