“Pop in for lunch”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Llandinam
Lion Hotel Llandinam
Ranked #1 of 1 Llandinam B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 7, 2013

My sister and I were staying locally for a few days and fancied a lunch whilst passing after a long hike.The outside gives the impression it was closed but on entering we were surprised to see how smart and clean it was. The staff were very pleasant and chatty. There were already a few other customers having lunch. Our meals arrived quickly, my sister having soup and I had a Panini. There was a good range on the menu and we both enjoyed our meals. To be honest what swung it for me was the fact that I could take my small dog in with us into the bar area whilst we ate. It was ideal.

Room Tip: We were not residents
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed April 24, 2013

Despite being local this was my first visit to the Lion for food in many years. Pre-booked table for Saturday night restaurant meal with group of friends. Arrived in bar for drinks (reasonably priced). Bar area busy and despite having to remain standing we were brought menu's to peruse. Not the best system .... perhaps for the staff but not the customer. Once we had decided what we wanted one of us had to return to the bar and ask if we could place our order. Not the best first impression to give - would have preferred to have been seated in the restaurant and had our order taken at the table personally.

Having been seated the tables were well situated and not too close, beautifully laid out making the restaurant as a whole very welcoming and relaxed. We were all given a complimentary small cup of thick soup with bread from the chef which was very tasty and a nice touch to start our culinary experience. When the dishes came which varied from steak to fish and vegetarian it has to be said that it was beautifully presented and tasted as good as it looked! All members of the party were impressed with the detail in presentation and quality of food. Only one gripe as a vegetarian .....there was no 'choice' with regards vegetarian options for the main course. There was ONE option only which is astonishing for any establishment to offer these days ...something that definitely needs to be addressed if customers are to return. That being said the dish I had, followed by an equally well presented dessert, was excellent and could not be faulted. For two course and excluding drinks expect to pay around £25 per person which is more than normal in this area. If you want to feel as if you have had a special treat or want to celebrate a special occasion then this is the perfect place to go. The young staff were excellent and courteous at all times ensuring we had everything we needed, were enjoying our meal and wanted for nothing and are a credit and important asset to the success of this establishment.

All in all, the Lion offers excellent food in a relaxed atmosphere. We will all be returning either together or with our respective partners/family.

Room Tip: Make sure you book beforehand for restaurant meal.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Cymro_Cymraeg1
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Having strong connections with Llanidloes I like to patronise local enterprise.
I previously have eaten at the Lion Hotel in the restaurant and was pleased with the food and service overall.
However today, 19th March 2013, I called in to sample a bar snack home made beefburger and chips. The beefburger was not home made and consisted of a preformed substance covered liberally with a topping, possiby to disguise the content? Needless to say I couldn't finish it.
The chips were dry too. My wife tasted the burger and confirmed that it was suspect and not home made. The staff assured me that they bought the burgers locally from a firm in Welshpool (home made)? I was also assured that the chef was local, which I knew, as if that mitigated the poor food he served. Recommendation to friends and colleagues will not follow.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank eve N
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed overnight on Good Friday whilst attending a wedding. Very welcoming reception, staff couldn't do enough for us. Room very clean and warm. Nice view overlooking the River Severn. Plenty of Tea/Coffe supllies together with mints and biscuit. Good choice of breakfast and nicely cooked. Highly recommend to anyone

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 22, 2012

I stayed at the Lion Hotel with my husband for a 2 night pre-Christmas break. We have travelled past the hotel on numerous occasions and thought what a shame it was that such a lovely old hotel had closed. We were extremely pleased at the start of the last holiday season to see that the hotel had re-opened and popped in for a drink. We enquired about the accomodation and the young lady we spoke to gushed with enthusiasm for the refurbished accomodation and the hotel in general; we therefore decided we would book our December break at the Lion Hotel. We have certainly not been disappointed. The room we stayed in has been tastefully refurbished to a high standard and has lovely views of the river, and mountains beyond. The restaurant is elegant with a relaxing atmosphere, and the food is outstanding. We had only planned to eat in the restaurant on the first evening however were that impressed with our meals we booked a table for the second evening. The owners and all of the staff were incredibly polite and friendly and made us feel very welcome. We had a plentiful and delicious breakfast both mornings. This is only the second review I have ever written however felt compelled to do so as I feel the owners and staff are very deserving of this feedback. Many thanks to all at the Lion Hotel; we look forward to our next stay in December '13.

• Stayed: December 2012
1  Thank ftdyson
Reviewed October 31, 2012

My wife and I recently stayed at the Lion Hotel Llandinam for the weekend and I have to say that we had a very enjoyable time here. When we arrived the owner Jo was very polite and helped show us to our room which were very well decorated and had everything we needed, the rest of the staff were very helpful and polite. The first night we stayed we had a table booked for a meal in the restaurant, we were seated promptly, and when the started came out I couldn't believe how lovely it was, and I wasn't disappointed with the rest of the meal, I would expect to have food like that in a 5* establishment.
I can not think of a bad thing to say about the pub, even the toilets were very clean, and had recently been cleaned with the correct sign to caution you that the floor may be slippery as it was wet.
After our weekend stay here I would certainly recommend this to anyone looking for a relaxing stay away, my wife and I will certainly be going back for another stay in the future.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
oliwill, Owner at Lion Hotel Llandinam, responded to this reviewResponded November 19, 2012

As proprietor of The Lion Hotel I am very disappointed with the recent posting of overall - just ok .I find this very damaging to our business as we have a extremely good reputation in the area for excellent quality fresh food and excellent customer service .If the customer had asked about the toilets then we have another three toilets on the same floor .We have just recently refurbished the building Lion Hotel which took a lot of hard work ,dedication and expenditure to get it to a high standard but we still have work in progress ie outside signage etc but this all costs money .Perhaps this person should have spoken to us before commenting on trip advisor .We have taken over a place that was boarded up ,created 19 jobs for local people and we are very proud!!!!!!!!!!!!! we have also just won Start up business award in Powys so that must say something !!!!!!

Reviewed October 26, 2012

We were visiting the area and thought we'd have a light lunch. The outside of the building looks fine although the sign worded "open for food" looks and sounds rather down market! The bar area looks nice and the staff were very polite and friendly. We were surprised to see the menu which we felt was very over-priced, especially for lunch time which is usually much more casual than dinner. We both ordered fish and chips, which again seemed a little expensive,but when it arrived it was beautifully presented and well cooked ... a good point. After five minutes the waitress asked if our meals were alright so that was another good point. We thought that the drinks were fairly priced and good value for money ... so another good point. I visited the ladies room, there was just one toilet there and the floor had been recently washed but hadn't yet dried ... no sign about slippery surfaces ... and there was no hook on the back of the door to hang my handbag. This issue needs to be addressed promptly for safety reasons as someone who has poor eyesight could easily slip. This is the main reason for my rating the cleanliness as "average" and doesn't reflect the total cleanliness of the place as a whole. We will visit the area again but probably won't return to the Lion.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LucindaLucile

Been to Lion Hotel Llandinam? Share your experiences!