“Mystery Meat Hot Sandwich”

Family Affair Restaurant
Ranked #36 of 71 Restaurants in Freeport
Cuisines: American
Description: Family Affair Restaurant, in Freeport, IL, has been owned and operated by the Ugalde family for more than 20 years. Consistency is our goal, and we constantly strive to make your family dining with us an escape from the same old humdrum! We aim to enhance service as well as maintain tasty, quality breakfast, lunch, dinner, and dessert with plentiful portions at affordable prices. You will find our new menus easier to read and will also enjoy our newly added meals with low prices.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

Was there on a Saturday noon. First time. Lots of people there, it is an old Long John silver's building. Many seemed to be eating breakfast. Decided to try the hot beef sandwich. I believe it was $5.99. The cup of potato soup was good. Generous serving of real potatoes and pretty decent gravy. The meat, however was a mystery. It is the paper thin stuff, veins and all, that one sometimes finds as Italian Beef. Wrinkled and impossible to cut or trim. So I just pushed it in a pile and ignored it. Two different servers saw it, no one asked how my meal was or if there was a problem. I figure they knew. I think the place is kind of dingy too, but that would probably not stop me from returning if I had liked the food. I think the meat probably comes like that and they just heat it up. Puzzled how they make the halfway decent gravy tho....

Reviewed April 10, 2013 via mobile

It is not fancy, at all. Just a small town family type atmosphere. It is a lil dingy, But I love the breakfast food and the prices are a steal! Love going there for a quick brunch!

Reviewed March 15, 2013

If you are looking for a good meal at a very reasonable price...this is it! For $6 bucks I got soup AND salad, 6 large deep fried chicken George, vegs, roll or garlic toast, and dessert, 8 types of ice cream or rice pudding or jello. I left so full. I should have gotten a doggy bag. The help was wonderful. They came by so often to fill my water and my wifes coffee you would have thought we were the only ones in there but it was full.

Reviewed February 9, 2013 via mobile

I was passing through and looking for a place to stop and while at the gas station next door I noticed this place. It was a old long John silvers and was nicely redone
and the service was good, food was very good and most prices were under seven dollars including dinners with soup,salad roll and desert. Give it a try there is something on the menu for everyone.

Reviewed October 27, 2012

service good and prices - family friendly - decor is dated but prices are good and so is the food - you get seated easily and not a great deal of time waiting for the food