“If your a Non-Smoker with a PET do not stay here!”

Best Western Plus O'Hare International South Hotel
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Franklin Park
Reviewed April 7, 2009

We arranged to meet friends at this Hotel because of the price and it was part of the Choice Privileges program. I had a dog and 3 kids along with me, since it advertised being a pet friendly hotel and the price was right we booked it. When we arrived I discovered all the Pet friendly rooms are Smoking rooms on the "Smoking" floor. We do not smoke and don't care if others do BUT the smell on the 4th floor was so overwhelming we couldn't stand it! I opened all the windows in the hallway turned on the air conditioning units to try and air the hallways out. Our room was no better, the bedding, towels and after a night's sleep WE reeked of smoke. We kept our windows in our room open as far as possible (they have bar on the window so you can't open it very far) and the AC on constantly to help the air quality. There seemed to be a vent in the bathroom where the smoke from the other rooms would come into ours.

Another problem we had was the Hot Tub was broke and the pool was ice cold. When you have children we always look for a pool/spa to relax in.

This Hotel seems to need better management. The breakfasts were fine unless you wanted syrup with your waffles or sugar with your coffee. Every morning there was a new Breakfast item they would be out of but promised the truck was on it's way.

We cut short our stay due to the smell. It was starting to effect my son's asthma symptoms and even our dog stunk like smoke.

Maybe spend a little more and stay at a better smelling place!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Best Western Plus O'Hare International South Hotel

Reviewed March 2, 2007

I stayed at the Comfort Inn for two nights. When I arrived, there was toliet paper in the toliet and unknown things in the shower/tub. There was unknown white stains all over the carpet. The remote for the television didn't work and the parking lot was very small. However, the hotel staff was very friendly and helpful and the beds were comfortable. Some-what noisy because of O'hare airport and the main road. Avoid if possible, but good for a couple nights.

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed November 30, 2006

This is a run down, poorly managed dump. Our first room had the security lock broke off and then our second room had a pile of toe nail clippings in the middle of the floor. It was so noisey from road noise that it was unbearable. It also was so dirty one would think it is a motel that charges by the hour. Management refused to clean up the nail clippings on the floor or give us another room. We finally left for piece of mind and just ate the cost as the management would not do anything about that either. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!!!!

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled on business
3  Thank SeriousTravelor
Reviewed October 7, 2006

I was worried after all the negative reviews on this site, but thankfully, the Comfort Inn Franklin Park not only met -- but exceeded -- my expectations. No, the hotel is not luxurious: it's a Comfort Inn, not a Hyatt! The location is not a "scary, desolate" section of town: it's a blue-collar, industrial area but hardly scary. The hotel is VERY convenient to O'Hare. I stayed there because I had a early flight and with security at O'hare so slow, I knew I'd better stay as close the airport as possible. The staff were friendly and helpful: I had no problems checking in or out. The rooms are standard but furnished better than I expected. Would I stay there again, yes I would. The moral of the story: don't always believe what you read on this site.

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled on business
2  Thank jandrewd
Reviewed August 6, 2006

My college bound son and two of his friends planned a trip to Chicago. As the downtown area was sold out for Aug.3-7, 2006, they chose Comfort Inn Franklin Park because the hotel advertised free airport transportation. They planned to use this shuttle to go back and forth to O'Hare airport where they could pick up the train to go into the city.
After reading tripadvisor, I was concerned and sent Choice International an email asking for clarification of transportation among other things. Here is part of the answer I received:
"I find that this hotel has a O'Hare Airport shuttle: Guests just call the hotel for pick-up- 24/7."
On Friday, Aug. 4, my son advised me that there was no airport shuttle. He was told that complimentary taxi service was only upon arrival and only upon departure. I thought this was absurd so I called the hotel directly and asked to speak to the manager on duty. The woman who answered the phone asked if she could help me. I replied no thank you, I would like the MOD. Then she said she was the MOD? Okay. I told her of the confusion and she rudely told me that not only was it free only upon arrival and departure of the guest, but this so-called service required the guest to show a valid airline ticket. Again, I asked to speak to the manager. Finally, she transferred me to another rude woman who said she was the front office manager. This woman rudely stated that the hotel had tried and tried to get Choice to change their advertisement, thanked me for "my advice" and told me that the hotel would not shuttle these guys to and from the red line. The rudeness of these women was unbelievable.
I called Choice International and spoke with their customer service. The person I spoke with was very polite and could only apologize for the franchise and admit they were powerless.
Bottom line, no one was going to do anything and blamed the other. Let the "Buyer Beware" of such misleading representations. Clearly, guests are on their own to fend for themselves.
The other reviews warning travelers are correct.

2  Thank DoubleL57
Reviewed June 24, 2006

My family and stayed at the Comfort Inn located in Franklin Park, IL on 6/12/06 for one night. We had two rooms. Our rate was the park and fly, for 149.00 per night per room. The second room contained my Sister and her family. We choose this hotel strickly for the park and fly. I wish I had read these reviews before our arrival.

I can only wish now that I had taken photos of the room and bathroom. The ones already posted by another traveler are similar to our experience. We were extremely upset at the condition of the room. Because we were only spending one night, we chose to stay. I was also aware that rooms were difficult for some reason to find on this date, in that location (close to O'Hare airport). Had we not arrived so late and were leaving early the next day we would have checked out immediately.

Both rooms (sorry I can't remember the room numbers), had an unpleasant odor. It smelled musky and damp. They also smelled of smoke. We were told at reservation that only smoking rooms were available. We were told at check in that there the entire hotel was "all smoking". Anyway, we opened the window. I viewed the bathrooms first. In one room, the shower/tub area revealed the source of the smell. Directly behind the shower head was a very large hole, with black mold surrounding it. The paint was peeling, and the wallboard was bubbled up around it also. The hole was 4-5 inches in diameter. When you turned on the shower, water sprayed onto the wallboard. Back to the main room. I noted that the box spring mattress in both rooms was dirty looking, with yellow stains on them. It looked like urine to me. Short black curly hair was found in our "clean" beds in both rooms. I suspect the bed was never changed from the prior customers. My husband slept with his clothes on that night. Both beds had a metal from in the middle of the box spring that projected out further than the box spring. In the other room my niece walked next to the bed and scraped her leg causing an open wound on her leg. I noticed it was a hazard and warned my family to stay away from it. My sister needed more towels for her family (only 3 were provided per room) and had to go downstairs at the front desk to retrieve them. The desk clerk was noticeably not happy to get them for her, saying she didn't have any more ready, then proceeded to go to a room behind the desk, grab 3, fold them and hand them to her. We reminded the clerk that we would be needing the shuttle early in the am for transport to the airport. We requested 4 AM pickup time. Since we had 4 staying in one room, we asked for extra pillows too. They didn't have any extra pillows.

On the morning of our departure we got a call from the front desk at 3:30 that the shuttle was ready and "were we ready, they were waiting". No we were not ready--we had a total of 7 individuals who thought 4 AM would be the deadline for being ready. We had asked for the wake up call at 3:30! My husband went downstairs to talk to the driver. They "shuttle" consisted of one mini van. It only held 7 passengers (counting the driver). The van also would never have held luggage for 7 people. We consulted with the front desk and they then did call for another shuttle. I have never seen such disorganization. If you check in 7 people, and you know they are all going to the airport at 4am, why do you not arrange for the appropriate type of transportation AT THE RIGHT TIME the following morning? The driver was courteous and waited.

The return back to our hotel to retrieve our car on 6/21/06 was even more distressful. I called the hotel before we retrieved our luggage to find out where they picked up. I was told 3F terminal, and to wait and call until our luggage was in our hands. I had my luggage then at 10:15 PM and called back. We were at the terminal 3F at that time. I was told to watch for the shuttle, marked "O'hare" in blue letters on a white taxi. Realize, of course, that almost every taxi that is flying by in any of the 3 lanes, is white. We waited, and waited. After 25 min. I called back. I was told they were on there way. I waited more, called again. Same response. I waited more, called again. Same response. After 45 min. my husband called very upset. He told them we were going to take another taxi and bill them if we did not get picked up soon. Same response. The clerk kept telling me he called them, and would call us back. He did call us back one time and told us they were 5 min. away. At 50 minutes the taxi showed up. The driver called his dispatcher at our request to confirm the time they were requested. The dispatcher confirmed the call for pickup was made only 10 min. prior. I believe the clerk never requested the shuttle until we had already been ready and waiting for 40 minutes. The clerk told my husband during his call that he didn't call us back because "he was busy checking someone in". We had 7 people who were all dead tired, standing on the sidewalk after 15 hours of travel that were very tired. We have a 3 hour drive home. This is the service you get with your "park and fly" rate? Generally, there is a bus shuttle, big enough to fit multiple people and luggage. Generally, they pick you right up. I have never had such poor service.

I could live with an uncomfortable bed, pillows and lack of towels. Paying for and receiving a room (at an inflated rate), that was filthy, smelly and hazardous to your health is entirely different. Paying for a park and fly rate that left us stranded for 50 minutes standing on the sidewalk with no shuttle in sight is outrageous. Comfort Inn needs to remove their name from this hotel!

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank Lei2hop
Reviewed May 20, 2006

Pretty much everywhere in the O'Hare area was full and it came down to paying 100 dollars here or 400-plus at the airport Hilton. In that situation, I'd choose the Comfort Inn again...but maybe only in that situation.

The location is very unexciting - on the side of a busy road surrounded by auto-repair shops and the like; the only potentially useful facilities I found within short walking distance were a gas station with convenience store, a McDonald's, and a diner/bar (which I didn't visit) - though (in contrast to a previous reviewer) it didn't feel to me a scary area, just a dull suburban one.

Staff were helpful and polite though not exuberantly friendly. The room was a little rough at the edges but basically as clean as any non-clean-freak's home, the bed was comfortable, and the shower worked fine. Free Wi-Fi worked seamlessly (for once); breakfast rolls and coffee were okay, though again unthrilling. My in-room phone wasn't operative for long-distance calls when I checked in, but this was immediately corrected when I spoke to the front desk.

My only real gripe concerned taxis, like another reviewer. On the morning of my departure I had booked a cab for myself (not via the hotel) and when it turned up the hotel management tried to 'hijack' this by asking it to wait up to half an hour for several other hotel guests! In the end sanity prevailed and I shared it with just two others, departing maybe five or ten minutes late. The cab driver said this was a common problem with this hotel and that he didn't understand why they didn't get a shuttle bus.

The cab fare to O'Hare is about $20, by the way.

• Stayed: May 2006, traveled on business
Comfort Suites O'Hare
#3 of 9 in Schiller Park
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Chicago O'Hare South
Crowne Plaza Chicago O'Hare Hotel & Conference Center

Been to Best Western Plus O'Hare International South Hotel? Share your experiences!