“Fabulous! - A hdden gem.”

Zaza Italian Eatery
Ranked #22 of 43 Restaurants in Fox Lake
Cuisines: Italian, American
Round Lake Heights, Illinois
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Fabulous! - A hdden gem.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2011

My husband, son and I went on a random Thursday evening, we had never heard of it or been there before. the inside was beautiful, though you wouldn't know it from the outside. The saff was warm and friendly. We ordered the Chicken Saltimbuca(?) off the menu, and the Jumbo Prawns and Cheese Ravioli in a Blue Cheese Sauce. Everything was wonderful! I was supprised the ravioli special didn't come with soup and salad and we were supprised by the $36.95 price tag for the prawns - but they were huge, literally the size of your open hand. The tails alone were bigger than jumbo shrimp. That is alot of seafood. We took home so much food! And everything was delicious. We were very pleased and if you compare the prices to something like Steven's Steak House (I think comparable) in Gurnee, VERY affordable. Just ask for the prices of the specials so you aren't suprised. I have to say it's my new favorite place!

• Visited June 2011

Hawthorn Woods, Illinois
“Just Great”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 23, 2011

Although we've lived in Lake County for the last 35 years this was our first trip to Za Za and it was great!!!!! The service was just top notch. The food was excellent, the portions were huge, and the entire experience was just tremendous. We may have found our favorite Italian bistro in the area. Do yourself a favor, give it a try.

• Visited May 2011
fox lake
“better than average, especially in an area with little to choose from!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 30, 2011

I have been eating here since it's inception and live locally. The food is typically consistent especially the beef or lamb, the seafood is fair. Many of the items are very good! The menu is excellent with many choices for all dinning appetites. There is a nice ambiance, sort of upscale supper club (for those who dine up north) I have only had a couple of meals out of 20-30+ that were a bit off the mark but certainly edible. The service is usually quite good and the staff friendly, although not all are always up to snuff on etiquette. The specials tend to be very repetitive and not -- well, all that special, always inquire as to their price, as you should do anywhere you go. For those who balk at the prices you're way off the mark and must not get out much or travel beyond a 30 mile radius. Given the caliber of the menu items it is more than in line with any equivalent establishment. I suggest that some go to Chicago or even Wheeling for a nice dinner , you'll probably have a heart attack. Truth be told eating here will cost only a few more dollars each than the local low end places and they do not include bread, soup, and salad. The prices are reasonable! Do not dine here on holidays or when especially busy, the kitchen can not handle it and the subsequent meal you receive will disappoint. In conclusion they really have no competition in the surrounding area so it stands above the rest in that regard. If you want exceptional food you will have to go where the demographic demands it.

• Visited April 2011
Grayslake, Illinois
“Lake County's Best Kept Secret”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2011

I am originally from the city of chicago and zaza's steakhouse and italian eatery in ingleside makes me feel right at home again. the ambiance of the place is very elegant and romantic, perfect for a date or just a casual dinner. the place is always filled with family of the owner's, who are very friendly and accomodating. I went there with my girlfriends and our server was Melissa, she was very knowledgeable about all the dishes and had wonderful recommendations for food and drink. I ended up having a pasta dish, the stuffed lobster ravioli in a lobster cream sauce and it was out of this world! My one girlfriend had a meat dish, the filet mignon and it was one of the best made steaks I had ever tasted, my two other girlfriends had a pasta dish and a seafood, both were also equally delicious. The portion size of the entrees are generous and they come with soup AND salad which is very rare at many restuarants. be aware the bread and their delicious olive oil might fill you up before you get to your dinner, best olive oil I have ever had, they marinate it with which looked like garlic, basil, and other ingredients. Can't wait to return.

Visited April 2011
Wildwoood
“I've Never Had A Bad Meal At Zsa Zsa's!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2011

I have to say I'm dumbfounded by reading all of the reviews of unhappy diners, because I've never had a bad meal there. I can say that at times the food has been slow to come out, but always well worth the wait. Tonight my husband had the special Blue Cheese Ravioli with Mushrooms and I had the Salmon Oscar. Tonight, for the first time, the soup and salad were just average. The soup was not bad...actually very tasty, but a little thick. I had the New England Clam Chowder. My husbands Minestrone on the other hand was perfect. What I really like about Zsa Zsa's is the way they bring the food out piping hot. I like my food served that way and they never disappoint.

The entrees on the other hand were phenominal! The Salmon Oscar was delightful and perfectly cooked. I especially enjoyed the crabcake on top and the lovely aioli served on the side. My husbands Blue Cheese Ravioli is quite honestly the best pasta dish I've ever eaten! The filling was ricotta..very nice..and the sauce...OMG!!! What a delight! It was creamy and velvety and oh so rich tasting, but left such a soft touch on the tongue...light...delightful! My goal this weekend is to try and recreate that sauce here in my own kitchen...fabulous!

I can honestly say that all four times we've visited this restaurant were a wonderful dining experience. Like any restaurant the service has good days and better days...depends on the day and the server...but by and large we have never been unhappy. Believe me, as a former server and bartender for 19 years I expect a lot when I go out. I know what the job and the business entails and I know when it's done right. To my taste Zsa Zsa's does it right every time!

• Visited March 2011