“Could have been better”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This was are 2nd visit to 450 above. Our first visit was in the summer last year and we came away thinking it was good.

Our more recent visit in April was a disappointment. The food was okay and probably by Rotherham restaurant standards pretty good. It is well presented but I would say it lacked some flavour. The waiting staff were pleasant and attentive.

The main reason I have given an average rating is because I felt the Manager / Owner was bordering on rude to us. I think he may see his interaction style as 'chummy' or banter but I felt at points it was a little unwelcoming and lacked attentiveness.

Some examples include one of the party had called in the week before to check that they could make a plainer dish for one of our party. When we arrived we mentioned this and he was very dismissive saying something along the lines of 'Did you? Who did you speak to? When we said we had spoken to the chef he said - if you spoke to him anything could happen!' It obviously wasn't a problem because the dish was provided just fine but I think a more appropriate response would have been something along the lines of 'I am sure we can do that for you'. He also had to check 3 times what our drink order was because he kept forgetting what we had asked for.

His interaction style may suit some customers but we were there for a special family birthday and were looking for friendliness and service with a bit of a smile.

There are newer reviews for 450above

Reviewed May 5, 2013

Called in after a bad day at work and the food & ambience crtainly turned that around!

I had 3 courses off the 5-10-5 menu, each of which was delicious. I started with Pea & Mint Risotto followed by Belly Pork cooked in Ginger and finished off with Banoffee Cheesecake and Peanut Butter Ice Cream. Peanut Butter Ice Cream is now my favourite dessert, it was THAT good!

2  Thank Gary0202
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

Me & my partner went to 450 above for a meal on a Friday night. The staff were very friendly & seemed very genuine (not trying too hard) , the food was delicious & was beautifully decorated. We did notice it lacked a bit of atmosphere but we did go for the last sitting...

1  Thank Lynds24Rotherham
Reviewed April 19, 2013

Really impressed by 450, the food is excellent. The staff friendly and efficient. Resturant always busy.

1  Thank Chris C
Reviewed April 18, 2013

One of the best restaurants in South Yorkshire. This wasn't my first Vist and I'm please to say the standards have been maintained. I has ham hock on a slice of black pudding my pals has risotto all the dishes had a wow factor especially the ham hock. The risotto was cooked perfectly. The mains of pasta with prawn and chicken were also perfectly cooked, ans perfectly seasoned, unfortunately we could only find room for a little Cheese. A reasonably priced and good selection of wine. The restaurant was full and had great atmosphere. We had very good sercice and didn't feel rushed, my only dislike is the shape of the cutlery.
Well done the restaurant deserves its good rating

1  Thank John J