My girlfriend and I along with two good friends returned to Matafonua for the second year in a row - that speaks for itself - and like the previous year we were greeted with the same warmth and generosity by the hosts Sally and Dave and they went out of their way to make our stay relaxing. The location is fantastic with a 20m stroll to an often deserted sheltered white sand beach with good coral and fish life very close to the shore. Across the road you can find Happy Ha'apai Divers and Ocean Blue Adventures that run dive trips and whale watching tours - these were both far superior to anything we experienced in Vava'u. The traditional fales have really comfy beds and good mosquito nets, the showers are solar heated and are perfect after a day at the beach. I have saved the best for last - the food- sourcing food in such a remote location is a logistical nightmare but despite this it is excellent. One of the highlights of our trip was waiting for the menu board to go up and see what fantastic food we could choose from. This truly is a magic spot and if you want a fantastic holiday then this is the place whether you're travelling alone, as a couple (romantic enough for engagements to be common) or with family. We will be back thats for sure!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Pacific-style resort located on the spectacular Northern tip of Foa Island. Pristine white-sand beach, safe swimming and exceptional snorkeling. Thatched-wall beach-front fales with very comfortable King sized beds. Excellent restaurant/bar with great variety of meals and drinks.On site scuba diving school and seasonal whale watching and swimming excursions. Good library and games available for guest use. Friendly, easy-going owner/managers live on-site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Agoda, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Matafonua Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matafonua Hotel Ha`Apai Islands
- Matafonua Lodge Tonga/Foa Island