My friend and I stayed at Matafonua Lodge prior to a 9 day kayaking trip to the islands of the Ha'apai group. We didn't know what to expect and were pleasantly surprised to find everything so perfect. Dave and Sally were wonderful hosts, who encouraged friendliness amongst their guests and were a great source of knowledge about the area. The food was very good and interesting and the beach fales were very comfortable. It was a bit of pain having to walk across soft sand to the toilets and showers, but that's part of the Tongan experience and there was both electricity and hot water, which is not necessarily the case in other accommodation in Tonga. The setting is perfect, with views to die for and adjacent to fabulous coral reefs for snorkelling. I would strongly recommend hiring a bike and riding around the island - it's the best way to see the sights and experience local culture. I would definately go to Matafonua Lodge again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Pacific-style resort located on the spectacular Northern tip of Foa Island. Pristine white-sand beach, safe swimming and exceptional snorkeling. Thatched-wall beach-front fales with very comfortable King sized beds. Excellent restaurant/bar with great variety of meals and drinks.On site scuba diving school and seasonal whale watching and swimming excursions. Good library and games available for guest use. Friendly, easy-going owner/managers live on-site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Booking.com, Agoda, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Matafonua Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matafonua Hotel Ha`Apai Islands
- Matafonua Lodge Tonga/Foa Island