We stayed 5 nights at Matafonua Lodge with our 3 children (15, 13 and 1/2 and 11 years old) and I wished we could have stayed a lot longer. That in itself says a lot.:-)
Matafonua Lodge is located in a beautiful spot, quite remote, but within walking distance to the nearest village. Visitors have the choice out of 3 beaches: the one on the east of the resort, the one on the west and the channel. We only managed to snorkel on the western side, which is a bit more sheltered. We saw some great bommies with an abundance of fish and coral. A diver couple we spoke to said the snorkeling on the other side was even better, so we can only dream of what that must have been like....
The atmosphere at Matafonua is great: very easy-going, everybody having a friendly chat with everybody. The kids found mates to join in on their crab-races, single parents seemed to find plenty of company in other parents.
The communal block is very clean, as are the rooms. Also as mentioned in other reviews: I can confirm that the beds are fantastic.
The staff is always friendly, polite and accommodating. Everything happens with a smile.
The food is great. Our kids got really hooked on the pizza's, but there are plenty more adult food options like stir fry, curry, pasta, fish, pork. You only mention the word and the next day it appears on the menu....
Sally and Dave run the place in a relaxed, yet very professional way.
I would really recommend this place for couples as well as families with children who want a relaxed island holiday without all the bells and whistles of some of the luxury resorts you can book at your travel agent. Thinking back of a negative review a while ago,I think it is important you realize you are in the Pacific, where your bed sheets get damp (so does all the paper-this is the tropics!) and things happen in their own time. The Pacific has its own rhythm. No 'beach babes', room service or banana boats here, but I guess that is only a good thing.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Pacific-style resort located on the spectacular Northern tip of Foa Island. Pristine white-sand beach, safe swimming and exceptional snorkeling. Thatched-wall beach-front fales with very comfortable King sized beds. Excellent restaurant/bar with great variety of meals and drinks.On site scuba diving school and seasonal whale watching and swimming excursions. Good library and games available for guest use. Friendly, easy-going owner/managers live on-site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Expedia, Agoda, Orbitz and Priceline so you can book your Matafonua Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matafonua Hotel Ha`Apai Islands
- Matafonua Lodge Tonga/Foa Island