Foa island is most people's idea of a tropical paradise. When we were there the max temps were about 28 deg with a gentle breeze blowing. Matafonua is on the tip of the island with the sea on both sides. Lovely coral and tropical fish are within a stonesthrow of your room in shallow water and further out are the majestic whales which are accessible by boat from the lodge and sometimes visible from shore.
The clear water and reefs make it a divers' delight.
Nina and Darren are the most friendly and welcoming hosts that you could imagine and the food would not be out of place in a top restaurant.
Older people may like a little more luxury but other than that it is perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Pacific-style resort located on the spectacular Northern tip of Foa Island. Pristine white-sand beach, safe swimming and exceptional snorkeling. Thatched-wall beach-front fales with very comfortable King sized beds. Excellent restaurant/bar with great variety of meals and drinks.On site scuba diving school and seasonal whale watching and swimming excursions. Good library and games available for guest use. Friendly, easy-going owner/managers live on-site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Matafonua Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matafonua Hotel Ha`Apai Islands
- Matafonua Lodge Tonga/Foa Island