I normally prefer discovering new places when travelling but Matafonua is the first place I ever revisited - and not only once. I just came back from my third stay and spent a truly perfect week there. I am actually reluctant to write this review since it would be a shame to see this place and the whole island of Ha'apai attracting more tourists. However I do think Nina and Darren really deserve success with what they have built up here.
Everything just suits my taste of a succesful tropical holiday. A beautiful and lively lagoon just a step away from your fale. The fales themselfs are simple yet comfortable and with the new addition of some shelfs even easier to keep some tidyness. The food I found just amazing every night and if the two would open a restaurant anywhere near me I'd be a regular. Also the whole staff working there is just so super friendly and they seem to have lots of fun working there which just spreads lots of good vibes. While I am not a very experienced diver I find the diving spectacular and diverse. Last but definitely not least the whale swimming experience is just magical and the whales are actually not chased down but treated in the most respectful way.
I recommended this place to many friends of mine and none of them have come back dissapointed.
Go there.... and stay there if you can!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A Pacific-style resort located on the spectacular Northern tip of Foa Island. Pristine white-sand beach, safe swimming and exceptional snorkeling. Thatched-wall beach-front fales with very comfortable King sized beds. Excellent restaurant/bar with great variety of meals and drinks.On site scuba diving school and seasonal whale watching and swimming excursions. Good library and games available for guest use. Friendly, easy-going owner/managers live on-site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda and Hotels.com so you can book your Matafonua Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Matafonua Hotel Ha`Apai Islands
- Matafonua Lodge Tonga/Foa Island