“Febreeze Everywhere!”

Hampton Inn St. Louis/Fairview Heights
Ranked #4 of 10 Hotels in Fairview Heights
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We stayed at this hotel as the result of a Priceline bid. The rate was OK...$50 for a 2 1/2 star hotel. But I found the staff to be lacking. When I called and asked for a King room...no suite, just a room with a King sized bed, it took FOREVER for the gal to get an answer to my question. First she said yes, then she said, "Oh, you are a Priceline customer. That will be a $10 upgrade charge." I have never had this happen before.

It took a few times to get the feather pillows out of the room. Even though I'd called ahead, there were still feather pillows in the room. They didn't have enough foam pillows to replace all of the feather pillows. The gal promised to bring more in, but she never did.

The entire room reaked of Febreeze! Ihave asthma and this was a problem. My eyes swelled up and I was miserable. There is a smell to clean and you do not need an air freshener, if the room, carpet, upholstery, etc. are truly clean!

There were yellow sticky notes on each of the bed headboards stating that the pillows and duvet covers were clean and ready for me. Why would you need to put sticky notes up saying that? Made me wonder if there had been a problem in the past.

The pool was OK. Never could figure out how to get the jacuzzi working. The elevator was carpeted, so the rug was soaking wet by 8 p.m. from people who had used the pool going back to their rooms.

Breakfast was disappointing. We arrived about 45 minutes prior to the end of the breakfast time and there were no eggs, no meat, and no biscuits. I inquired and was told the gal was working on it. Forty minutes later, she finally got out some eggs and biscuits. Why advertise a free breakfast if you can't keep the food stocked?

Overall, it was OK for $50, but I do not like it when hotels participate in Priceline and then try and gouge the customers for every dime they can. I would not stay here again, and doubt that I will Priceline a room in this area again because I do not want to get this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Motherjordan

Reviewed May 21, 2012

Front desk folks were all very pleasant and nice. Breakfast buffet lady was THE BEST! She made sure everything stayed stocked and fresh. She was very accommodating too. Upon entering my room, there was a long black hair in the sink (probably 6 inches long.) I brushed it aside as a one-time oversight, but my second day there, I found another hair (same size and color) between the sheets of my bed! I had to wonder if someone in the house keeping staff wasn't doing it on purpose.

Breakfast buffet included fresh fruit, juices, bacon and scrambled eggs, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, and even warm oatmeal in a slow cooker. Plus waffle maker, coffee of course, and tea if so desired. It was always clean, too.

Fairview Heights is not in the best neighborhood though. While I was checking in, some guy walked in trying to sell the hotel manager something, or trade it for a stay in a room for the night. When she said no, he then tried to sell whatever it was to anyone standing around. he left shortly thereafter. There was another encounter with a woman driving around in parking lots of other restaurants, trying to convince people to dine at a different restaurant instead. It was like panhandlers on wheels!

Room Tip: Ask for a room as far away from the highway as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed May 3, 2012

My Mom and Sister flew in from Hawaii last year and stayed at this hotel. I stayed there for two days too. My mom loved the great free breakfast that was included with our stay!

Room Tip: This location is fantastic for those who want to pick from hundreds of different restaurants in the...
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed April 30, 2012

We had an event at the Edward Jones Dome in St. Louis, Missouri--wasn't sure where to stay, but decded to give this Hampton a try. Chose it because of its affordable price compared to other area hotels. We checked in late--the staff was exceptionally firendly and courteous. The room was very clean and breakfast was a serve yourself. The had three choices of prepared eggs---boiled, great tasting omlet, and another egee for bagels. A good variety of fruit, breads and pastries. Great parking area also. Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed April 19, 2012

We stayed overnight at this property and utilized our Hilton honors points. Our 1st stay and probably not the last, but couldn't rank it higher. The time we stayed the hotel pool was under maintenance. The rooms are dated, with stains on the walls, and ceilings. The A/C only worked in high or off, no middle for maintaining an average. The staff at the front desk were friendly. Although at check in, I did have to wait for about 10 minutes while the clerk was speaking with someone on the phone about their stay and an issue with it. The one thing about this location is it is close to I-64/ US RT 50, with close by shopping and food establishments.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed December 26, 2011

My husband and I are usually big fans of Hampton Inn. Unfortunately, this was our worst experience with one so far. I saw that the reviews were not great, but figured that maybe those people had just had a bad experience. Wrong. I would suggest trying another hotel... there are tons in this area. It's a great area... close to the Interstate, GREAT shopping and restaurants... and overall just a clean and seemingly safe area. The reviews I read criticized the customer service. They were right... The lady who let us in the door at 10 after midnight on Christmas night was RUDE. Flung the door open at us, didn't greet usor even speak to us other than "sign here". Just overall unfriendly demeanor. The lady in the morning was much friendlier. Our room was LOUD! This hotel is close to the Interstate... I've never heard traffic be so loyd in a hotel room! It kept us up all night... and since it was Christmas night therewas very little traffic. Every semi sounded like it was coming through our room! Also, our heater would randomly make a horribly loud rattling nouse that woke us several times in the night. We eventually just had to turn it off. Then every step the people above us took the floor would creek and pop... it was just a VERY loud hotel room. Other than that, as usual with Hamptons, the bed was comfy and it was clean. Just loud!

• Stayed: December 2011
2  Thank jralcorn1979
Reviewed November 5, 2011

I stayed at this Hampton Inn last night and it was TERRIBLE. I always stay at Hampton Inns when I travel and this was by far the worst Hampton Inn I have ever stayed at. It's an older hotel that they TRIED to update to look like the newer Hamptons but... they did a very subpar job "updating" this hotel. First of all, the room was very small. I was supposed to get a King bed but I'm pretty sure it was a full size bed. The bed had to be from 1980 because it was very uncomfortable and hard as a rock. Pretty sure that they picked that mattress up from someone off of Craigslist. The toilet did not flush in my room. The internet "wi-fi" was slower than dial up. The air conditioning unit was VERY loud - probably because it's 20 years old! The hotel is located right on top of I-64 and the road noise from 64 is ridiculous! All I heard all night was the loud AC unit and semi trucks out on 64. The walls are paper thin so I got to hear an interesting conversation between 2 men in the room below me from 1 am - 3 am. Last but not least, the maids started knocking on doors at 7:30am to clean. The breakfast attempts to be the same as the breakfast you get at other Hamptons but the muffins were stale and the best thing was the waffles.

I plan on calling corporate about this hotel and suggesting that they just shut the dang place down! It's a dump!!! P.S. the Fairview Heights area is getting a little scary so don't leave ANYTHING visible in your vehicle!!!

I recommend driving an extra 5-10 minutes down the road to O'Fallon and staying at one of the newer, nicer hotels in O'Fallon or the new Holiday Inn Express they just built in Fairview Heights behind Lotawata Creek restaurant.

I would not recommend this hotel to a homeless person.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairview Heights
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fairview Heights
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis Fai...
#1 of 10 in Fairview Heights
Holiday Inn St. Louis-Fairview Heights
Holiday Inn St. Louis-Fairview H...
#2 of 10 in Fairview Heights
Comfort Suites
Comfort Suites
#6 of 10 in Fairview Heights
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fairview Heights
Fairfield Inn St. Louis Fairview...
#8 of 10 in Fairview Heights
Four Points by Sheraton Fairview Heights
Four Points by Sheraton Fairview...
#5 of 10 in Fairview Heights
Drury Inn & Suites St. Louis O'Fallon, IL

Been to Hampton Inn St. Louis/Fairview Heights? Share your experiences!