“This is no chain restaurant!”
Review of Lotawata Creek

Lotawata Creek
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Takeout
Reviewed October 13, 2012

Huge, delicious portions cooked southern style. My favorite are the lumpy mashed potatoes and chicken strips.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

My family (spouse & 2 teenage boys) were on our way out of St. Louis back to KY on a Saturday. We had spent the morning doing a quick trip to the zoo so we were hungry! Found this restaurant on tripadvisor (they had not let me down the entire trip!). We were a little concerned when we pulled up as the parking lot was packed at ~ 1PM Saturday. However, there was plenty of seating inside. We had a WONDERFUL waitress, Michelle. She was so helpful. I asked about the portion sizes and she told us they would split anything back in the kitchen (even sandwiches/burgers) but there would be $2 split charge (unless you ordered an appetizer and then they wouldn't charge). Looking at the plates coming out of the kitchen there was no way we could eat an appetizer and all the other food. Decided that my spouse & sons would each order an entree and I would pilfer off of their plates. Ordered: catfish, coleslaw & fries, chicken fingers & 2 sides (veggies) and burger & fries. Everything was delicious!! Best coleslaw I have ever eaten!! We ended up taking home about 1/2 of the chicken fingers and a couple of the catfish fillets. (My husband is still eating on the chicken!)

While I will agree that the portions are beyond normal; just pay the $2 split charge and split it. Or be prepared to take some food home. There is a lot of fried food...I didn't see too much coming out of the kitchen that was healthy. Their onion rings looked wonderful and I would have loved to try them. There is a heart attack burger that has NINE pieces of cheese on it. Our waitress says it's one of the most popular items - I can't imagine!! They do have desserts but didn't see anyone eating any.

Our waitress told us it is constantly busy and as they get closer to Christmas Sat & Sun there will be lines way out into the parking lot!

We would go again!! Really enjoyed the restaurant and Michelle!! This is the only restaurant - it is not a chain! Prices were VERY reasonable!!

Reviewed September 30, 2012

The food was good. I had a prime rib sandwich. The potions are terrible. Our table of 15 wasted at least 20 pounds of french fries and about 40 pounds of food. Great food but this is the reason why America is so over weight. My kids felt bad because they could not eat all of their food. I told them that it is okay but they thought about wasting our money and all the food. This restaurant is great for people that want to eat 10 to 40 pounds of food for $10 to $30.

3  Thank Averagejoe1234567890
Reviewed September 27, 2012

I had a really good meal here. Lots of ambiance. The steak was perfectly prepared & presented. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Carhartkid
Reviewed September 24, 2012

My husband and I have eaten at Lotawata a few times now and always marvel at the portions and odd concoctions as we walk past tables to be seated. We ALWAYS split one dinner and between the dinner and rolls provided we are both full! I recommend to try it at least once...it is a unique dining experience.