“Authentic Sicilian food, outstanding service; a must-visit!”

Agostino's Restaurant and Bar
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed September 21, 2012

My husband and I visited Agostino's last night, and the only thing we're sorry about is that we didn't try it sooner. Everything about our experience at this family-owned Sicilian restaurant was wonderful. We were warmly greeted at the door by the owner and were seated quickly. The waitstaff and bussers were attentive, gracious, and accommodating. And then - the food. Oh, the food! Flavorful, perfectly prepared mushroom risotto, delicious arancini, and absolutely the BEST chicken spiedini we have ever had. Skip the chain restaurants in this area and go to Agostino's - you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed September 8, 2012

Last night was our anniversary so we decided to try the, new to us, Agnostino's. We were there very early on a Friday night. We were the second set of customers. The decor was quiet and inviting. Although we were seated right next to the other customers in a banquette, we could not hear their conversation nor could we see them, without craning our necks. We started with our favorite:fried calamari. We have eaten calamari all over the world so we are kind of snobs about its preparation. I have to say Agnotino's was prepared gently with a light breading hand. It was excellent. My only complaint of sorts, is the rolls were offered with butter! OY! We asked for oil before the server bought the butter to the table. He said, "sure, do you want it with balsamic dressing or parmesan?" We chose the parmesan but I expected a tiny dish of parmesan served with the oil. That is a minor complaint. Oh,I forgot to mention for the beer drinkers, they had some good choices on draft. We had the Octoberfest, Sam Adams I believe. It is a relief to not be limited to Bud or Bud Light. There was a wine list and we saw other customers as they came in ordering off the wine list.
Our main entries were one of the specials- salmon stuffed with a seafood breading and for me the swordfish. We both had the pasta side rather then the spinach. The fish entries came with a small vegetable side -yellow squash and zucchini? I should have taken a photo. The outstanding part is the delicacy of their sauces. Just lovely. My swordfish has a crisscross of balsamic for an accent. Both were excellent and worth repeating although, the next time I will have to try one of their pasta meals. The size of the portions are plenty for one person but you will not be taking home leftovers. Did I mention there is no pizza on the menu?
Just as we were paying, the server brought us a spumoni for my husband and me to share. We had asked him to take our official anniversary photo earlier. It was lovely.
We will definitely return and we will be recommending Agostino's to our friends. BTW- for locals, it is FAR better than Mungo's- in comfort, ambiance, and food preparation.

Reviewed September 1, 2012 via mobile

Unusual restaurant for the Illinois side of the river. Very classy excellent staff and varied menu. Service was attentative and quick. Everything was good but not inexpensive.

2  Thank rayroad
Reviewed August 29, 2012

Was passing through town and stayed at a hotel nearby. The restaurant was excellent. Live music in the bar, table cloths, comfortable tables and booths. Food and service were also first rate. Server was attentive and everyone on the staff works together. The chicken marsala was excellent although a bit different than the brown sauce with mushrooms. This one was a little lighter and had onions and peppers as well. You can get pasta or sauteed spinach which was really good. Overall, a great experience.

1  Thank ColletaM
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I am a business traveler who eats out at least 3 nights a week, every week. I am a pretty critical customer and have never written a restaurant review. Until now. I couldn't let this pass without writing a review. This place is outstanding all the way around: food, service, decor, pricing! Impecable! It doesn't get any better than this! It blew my away to see all the cars at Olive Garden and Red Lobster. They could be eating in a different universe for close to the same price! The owner was there and I spoke with him. VERY Customer-focused. He gets it and he goes out of his way to make sure that everything is outstanding. Classy but not stuffy. Check this place out! You won't be dissapointed! Enjoy!

1  Thank BusinessTraveler250