“Fun for the family”

Good for: Large groups, Families with children
St. Louis, MO
“Fun for the family”
Reviewed July 22, 2012

My family has discussed going to this restaurant for quite some time, but were not sure how the kids would like it. After taking the kids to a hibachi on vacation, to good results, we decided we we'd give it a go.

Everyone had a great time. The kids all loved the restaurant, even our almost 2-year old. The food was very good. My wife and I got filet mignon, I got mine with the salmon as well. The children got chicken and steak. Overall the food was very good. The fried rice and veggies were excellent. The filets were very tasty, though they came out well done instead of the ordered medium we both asked for. The kids loved the chicken and steak and the shrimp that come as a standard appetizer.

The surprise of all surprises is that we found out that our oldest son would actually eat brocolli. You just have to throw it in his mouth first! : )

There were five in our party and we were seated at a table with another family of four. I've heard complaints about having to sit with strangers, but for us it was fun. The chef was very entertaining and the server was prompt and courteous.

It's true that this place is not cheap, but it's definitely worth the price paid. You're paying for good food and good entertainment. Shogun did not disappoint on either front.

• Visited June 2012

Mascoutah, Illinois
“Pricey, so go for lunch!”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

Their lunch prices are 1/4 of the dinner price, and you still get huge servings. It's always delicious.

1 Thank Samantha D
Southern IL
“Good Food & Fun”
Reviewed January 12, 2012

We went to Shogun with a large group celebrating several birthdays including my son & daughter's. The show was above average and the food was pretty good. It's pretty difficult for a family of 4 to get out of this place for under $100. But it was a special occasion. After the meal, a bunch of the staff comes out banging drums and singing. One is dressed like a dragon. They take a picture with the birthday person and you get it when you leave. Overall, fun but pricey.

• Visited December 2011
Denver, Colorado
“Lots of fun, especially with a crowd!”
Reviewed December 4, 2011

We went to Shogun for my husband's work Christmas party although we had been there before for other occasions. There are lots of these types of teppenyaki restaurants all over the US and they all pretty much have the same type of system. You sit around a big grill and the chef does various things with knives and spatulas, the onion "volcano", streaming saki into people's mouths, etc. etc. But it is a lot of fun especially if you are with someone who has not experienced it before. The food is usually very good; we both had the filet and shrimp combo and the filet was super tender. With it you get fried rice and lots of freshly grilled veggies.

We had appetizers before we were all seated, and they were not great. Absolutely the biggest calamari rings I have ever had and they were tasteless (in fact, some of our group thought they were onion rings). We also had shrimp cocktail and it was not cold...lukewarm shrimp kind of worries me! The exception was the stuffed mushroom appetizer which was very good.

Another thing which kind of bothered me but I tried not to be too overly concerned: our party had a mix of chicken and steak dishes and the raw meat all came out of the kitchen on one platter. Raw chicken needs to be kept separate from everything, and I'm not sure that is something that is a violation of some health code or not. I'm a little funny about chicken anyway, and I think I was probably the only one who noticed it.

For dessert try the tempura fried cheesecake...if you are not too overly stuffed by the huge amount of food! It is excellent and melts in your mouth!

Overall, this is a great place to go for a special occasion and a group party.

• Visited December 2011
Collinsville, Illinois
“Hibatchi Style and Sushi too”
Reviewed November 28, 2011

Shogun is really 2 restaurants in one. 1 area is the typciall Hibatchi style restaurant where the chef comes out and cooks for you. The second is more of a typical sit down restaurant and Sushi bar. We've eaten in both areas and like them both. If you want to be entertained by the chef, have Saki sprayed in your mouth, and generally have a festive time, the Hibtachi style is the way to go. It's mopre expensive but the food is very good, prepared well, and plentiful. Some chef's are better than others but we've never had a bad one. The more casual Sushi bar has a wide selection of Sushi to choose from as well as more typical dished like Fried rice. We actaully eat in this part more than the other. You can often find deals on Sushi during lunch or on Friday nights. The Sushi is reasonable in price with many varieties. Everything I've tried has been prepared well and with good flavor.

• Visited November 2011