“Wonderful Place to Stay when visiting Chicago”

Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed August 7, 2010

I stayed here with my son and his fiance for a week when visiting Chicago. The valet parking was convienent and only $20 a night. We were nervous about using public transportation but the staff was so helpful and explained our options. They even printed out schedules for the CTA for us (which was only two blocks away). The neighborhood was quiet and I felt safe. The beds were the most comfortable beds I have slept in at a hotel. The mini bar was well stocked but we stayed out of it because the prices were high! The room was spacious and very comfortable. Free internet in the room was also a plus. Would have been nice to have had free breakfast, but there was a burger king nearby and we had breakfast there to save money for more extravagent dinners. We loved our trip to Chicago and would stay here again in a minute when we go back. Price line negotiater got us a GREAT price.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Hilton Orrington/Evanston

Reviewed August 7, 2010

The Hilton Orrington/Evanston in Evanston Illinois ( a suburb of Chicago) is the worst hotel I've ever stayed in! The beds were not the usual standard for a Hilton, they had no bath robes like the website said, the room was very small, the bathroom wasn't any larger than a closet, the location was so congested that it was a pain to leave your room. On top of all of this there was only valet parking that you had to pay an additional $20 a night for to park!
The hotel put a $200.00 hold on our debit card without warning us before they did it, this completely put a damper on our trip, because we carefully budgeted our money. It was a debit card, not a credit card...that money had been allocated. When we finally checked out, they said it would take 2 business days to return the money to our card! We had used all of our cash and needed that money to get home on. They did finally just give us cash after about a half an hour talking to the manager. This hotel made me never want to stay in a Hilton again!!

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank LindziBB
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Can't beat the location and the staff are terrific. The hotel pretends to be luxury but is not. The room's climate control is loud and erratic. The decor is okay but little attention to detail. Perfectly okay for a weekend stay if yo plan to be out and about.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 21, 2010

Saw great reviews for this hotel but as a regular world traveler, I say it does not live up to them.

Granted I came here as a result of a discount hotel booking service. But, I am in the Hilton VIP program. Still put in handicapped room with no armchair and a TV a football field away from the bed. Hotel has mildly musty smell to it. Bar was dead as a doornail and again, looks like a football field.

Design of room is faux deco - which is very wrong for this property.

On plus side, check in was friendly and they did steer me to a restaurant better than the one I intended to go to. And location is in heart of Evanston... but that means dealing with lots of traffic, people getting in and out of cars the minute you walk outside etc.

Overall negatives of this experience outweigh positives. Had much better experience for same money at a property out in the burbs. Not awful but not great. Did I mention the really loud air conditioning unit in the room and the only parking option is $20 valet.

Feh.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 8, 2010

Stayed with a friend, two double beds in a huge room. Wifi in room not just lobby! Speaking of the lobby, I read a review which said this hotel didn't have much of one. Well what's the problem? You only need to go there once! When you walk in you're basically in the bar.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 6, 2010

We just got back from our stay in Evanston at the Hilton Hotel Orrington where we were spent three nights while moving our daughter into her apartment near Northwestern. The staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we had all we needed for a pleasant few days. The beds and pillows were quite comfortable. The deluxe room was a perfect size for us. The hotel is within walking distance to many fine restaurants. We do have two suggestions for improving the overall experience. The bathrooms are very small and should be enlarged. And the air conditioner is extremely loud. Otherwise it's a great place.
We will be back I'm sure!!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 29, 2010

There is no doubt that the Orrington is in as great location: right by Northwestern U with many excellent restaurants and shops nearby. Since I had visited the hotel before, it was nice to see the renovations, and they did a good job overall in modernizing the hotel. The big issue in my "king" room was space: barely enough to move around with two people and absolutely the smallest bathroom I have EVER seen in ANY hotel, both in the US and on many trips overseas. There was barely room to take a shower and no shelf space for toiletries. The service was also spotty, especially at checkout, where the person at the counter barely noticed I was standing there. If location is your main concern, then stay here, but for my money there are better and cheaper options in Evanston and the area.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Homestead
The Homestead
#6 of 7 in Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!