“Hotel is very nice and staff is friendly.”

Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Evanston
Reviewed April 22, 2013 via mobile

Overall this hotel is a diamond in the rough in Evanston. It is close to everything you would need in walking distance. My really only complaint is the rooms have plantation shutters and it was too bright in the morning. Could have germ better with room darkening shades.

• Stayed: April 2013

Reviewed April 20, 2013

We didn't even make it to the hotel and the agents couldn't help me. My father became unexpectedly ill and had to cancel our family trip to Chicago. I called the hotel to cancel and was hung up on. Called back and was transferred to reservations where they couldn't help me and were going to transfer me to another agent and hung up on me. Called back asked for a manager was placed on hold and the same telephone operator tried to assist me and couldn't so she transferred me to the front desk. The front desk agent tried to transfer me back to the reservation department. How can no one cancel a simple reservation?? I still have no confirmation I'm cancelled and not going to be charged. I won't be rebooking at this property. When we travel again I'll definitely look else where.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Hilton Orrington is the perfect combination of a chain (so quality standards are met) and boutique hotel. The staff is so incredibly friendly and hospitable. I have told people if I could, I would move into the Orrington - I feel so at home when I visit.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed April 18, 2013

The staff was very friendly and the location was convenience for someone with business at Northwestern. The rooms smelled like an older building and there was a lot of noise throughout the night from the ally in the back. Turning on the fan drowned it out.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Michael J
Reviewed April 16, 2013

We stayed one night while visiting NU. Our flight was late so we didn't arrive at the hotel until almost 1am - we were exhausted and just wanted to sleep but the hotel was being overrun by teenage kids in town for a Model UN program. They were unbelievably loud and seemed to exist on every floor. That's not really the hotel's fault, but it would have been nice if they were told to keep the noise down a bit. Our room was quite small (a King rm) and the bathroom even smaller, as in only one person at a time could be in there. The room was a bit dated and the beds/pillows not so comfortable but our sleep was short due to our late arrival and morning appointments. Completely agree with others that the internet was unacceptably slow - so slow that we turned off Wifi on our devices and just used 4G on our phones and tablet. Breakfast the next morning was running very late (30 mins for food) so we just grabbed the buffet and tried to pretend it wasn't as expensive as it was. Not a perfect stay for the price paid, but not horrible either. Definitely the best for a visit to NU, though.

1  Thank MNFamof5
Reviewed April 10, 2013

We had a real nice stay. The hotel is very conveniently located near the Northwestern campus. The suite we had was very clean and it was quite nice. Checkin was quick and the valet was efficient. My small gripe was that I was quoted one rate on the phone and then charged a higher rate on the bill. When I called, the call started out friendly, but ended just not as friendly as the employee on the phone should have been. It wasn't an argument or anything, but just not up to professional polite standards. And... we were woken up to loud noise outside the hotel in the morning, but I would expect that that was a rare occurence. I'm not sure what it was. (Some kind of construction?). But again, overall it was a very nice hotel, and most of the employees were extremely nice. Everything was very clean. The restaurant staff were great too. If you're going to an event at Northwestern and need a nice place to stay, this fits the bill.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

The staff was willing to help in any and all ways. I was dealing with a family emergency and they assisted me whenever I needed help. If I return to the area, I will certainly stay at The Hilton Orington.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
The Homestead
The Homestead
#5 of 7 in Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!