“Older property; Hilton is the newish owner (2.5 stars)”

Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Evanston
San Francisco, California
“Older property; Hilton is the newish owner (2.5 stars)”
Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you like older buildings with character, you'll like the Hilton Orrington even though it's a bit rough around the far edges. From what I could glean from the front desk attendant, Hilton took over this property in early 2010 or 2011. It's a much older building (circa 1923) and Hilton renovated/refurbished the property. The furniture in the room has that Hilton corporate beige/light beige look, but the architecture of the room is classical. The newer carpet, however, can't camouflage the uneven, creaky floor (but it gives the room character) and the new paint can't distract from the older, permanent fixtures: the door, the molding, the fixtures, etc.

I arrived late in the evening and checked out early the next morning. Room service breakfast was a disaster. The eggs were a brick when I asked for a soft scramble; the hot water for the tea was luke-warm, and the bacon was burned. It wasn't edible. At check-out, they couldn't produce the final bill. Or rather, the restaurant didn't post the breakfast to the room bill. Valet parking was really s-l-o-w - understaffed and a lot of people waiting for their car during prime check-out time (approximately 7:30 AM). I waited downstairs for 15 min to get my car even though I called for it 10 mins before I left my room.

The room was fine for one night. The room was clean; the bed was comfortable; the bathroom was small, but clean; the Internet worked; and the thermostat worked (but the heating system was loud).

Since my stay was short, I can't comment on the location, the hotel restaurant, the gym, or the public areas. I didn't find the staff (front desk or valet parking) particular helpful or friendly - more like slightly disinterested. The hotel is fine for one night. Based on this short visit, can't say I would stay much longer than that.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Apollo P
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that we did not meet your expectations when you stayed with us. The room service issue is not acceptable, and I will absolutely show your review to our restaurant manager. I hope that you do decide to give us a second chance to better serve you in the future!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
North Carolina
Reviewed November 20, 2012

While this is the place to stay in Evanston, it won't win many prizes. The exception to this was the professional and caring staff that seemed to parachute in on Sunday evening (presumably after the weekend shift departed). Every request was cheerfully and quickly handled and made for a fun stay.
Be careful of rooms that front on Churh Street as things can get a bit loud - especially with early AM garbage pickup seemingly immediately outside your non-sound proofed glass windows.
But hey, it's a great location if your gig is at Northwestern!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Thank you for your review! I''m glad that you enjoyed your stay overall. Also, thank you for bringing up the issue with the garbage truck noise in the morning; we are trying to work with the town to get pickup later in the day. We hope to see you again next time your travels bring you to Evanston!
portsmouth, NH
Reviewed November 20, 2012

As a kid, I remember the Orrington Hotel as being a really classy, old hotel. Today, it;s still pretty nice, been renovated and updated and is really nice. The food, service (doorman, Valet and restaurant staff) are really helpful, knowledgable and upbeat. They know all the great places to hang out at night locally and where to go as well as what's new. the in-house restaurant has great food and the breakfast is well done.

Room Tip: top floors, back side for quiet, but most all are great.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you found the staff helpful and upbeat and we hope to see you again in the future!
Madison, Wisconsin
Reviewed November 17, 2012

This hotel was terribly disappointing. They call themselves a 'historic, luxury hotel', but they are neither historic nor luxurious. If a hotel is historic, I expect to see historic features and architectural details. Starting with the lobby, it is relatively modern, with no architectural or historical significance. In the room, there were absolutely no historic or luxurious details or features. The heating/air conditioning is still the old wall type that sticks out about 10" into the room, is horribly loud, and terribly inaccurate. The furniture was 80's style, and there were zero architectural details. The bathroom was horribly small. The sink was the very, small round kind - like the type you find in a head on a boat. There was virtually no counter space, so I had to put most of my toiletries on the desk. The bathroom gives you about 3 feet to move around in, so it is terribly awkward and uncomfortable to use. The shower doesn't have the commonly found half-rounded shower curtain (which makes the tub shower feel larger), so taking a shower feels almost claustrophobic. When I tried to call the front desk, I tried 4 times while it rang and rang before someone picked, put me on hold, and never came back. In the morning, I called down to have my car pulled around 15 minutes ahead of time, as suggested. They told me it would be 12 minutes (?), and when I went down after 15 minutes, I had to wait almost another 15 minutes. Waiting 30 minutes for your car is unacceptable, and it made me late for my appointment. They seemed disorganized, slow and understaffed. When I came back after my appointment to check out, the valet did apologize for making me late, which was thoughtful, but it doesn't change the fact I was late. The location of the hotel is good, within easy walking distance to restaurants and a CVS. I travel to Evanston frequently for business, and thought this would be a good place to stay, but I will go further out and never stay here again. It is way over priced for the quality and service.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Thank you for your review. I'm very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us. The hotel was built in the early 1900s, making it a historic building, which has both positive and negative aspects. Unfortunately, the size of the bathrooms is not something that we can easily change, however, we do offer room types, such as our studio suite, with much larger bathrooms if that is an option you wanted to explore in the future. Also, we are currently in the process of replacing all of the shower rods with the curved ones that you mentioned in your review. I also apologize about the delay at valet; I've already had a talk with our valet manager about the issue. I do hope you give us another chance next time you travel to the area!
Armada, Michigan, United States
Reviewed November 8, 2012

Pros: great with pets, great neighborhood, close to Chicago, short walk to Metra, CTA, and buses, super comfy beds, clean, friendly staff
Cons: $22 parking (no other option)

The room was very nice. Somewhat small bathroom, but it was clean and adequate. We had a refrigerator brought to our room without a problem. The staff constantly asked if there was anything we needed. A big shout-out to Michael in Bell Services. He is such a warm, friendly, helpful asset to this hotel. My kids and our dog loved him!
Thanks for a great stay. We hope to be back soon!

Room Tip: If you are concerned about noise, ask for a higher floor. Pets are allowed on 3rd floor only. Ask...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, November 9, 2012
Thank you for your wonderful review! I've printed it out to show Michael on his next shift. I hope that your pup got to take advantage of the dog biscuits up front and we look forward to having you again in the future!
NJ
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I was here for a work trip last week. The rooms are small but clean and there was hardly any hallway noise. There was a lot of street noise but that is to be expected in a city. I would ask for a room that faces the back rather than a street view. Hotel restaurant was decent and it's in walking distance to many restaurants and businesses.

The one thing I didn't like was that the room had wooden blinds on the windows and no black out shades. It never really got dark in the room. Not a huge concern as I was only there for 1 night but that could be annoying for anyone trying to sleep in.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the back of the hotel to avoid street noise.
1 Thank jessieknj
Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay here overall and hope to see you again in the future when our front desk will be happy to block you in a room facing the back of the hotel!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed November 2, 2012

Nice rooms. Nice hotel. Needed to check in at a specific time, staff said no problem, but then room not ready. Took several calls which were not returned. Finally got into the room, and staff offered free room service to make amends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, November 5, 2012
Thank you for your review! I apologize that your room was not ready for an early check in. The front desk does the best they can to fulfill everyone's requests, but if the hotel sells out the night before you arrive, we need to allow time for housekeepers to get into rooms to clean and prepare them for the next guest. The staff should know to never guarantee an early check in, and I will definitely review this policy with them. I am glad that you were offered free room service and hope that you enjoyed your meal!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
The Homestead
The Homestead
#6 of 8 in Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!