“Convenient Location, Bad Housekeeping”

Hilton Orrington/Evanston
Ranked #3 of 8 Hotels in Evanston
Massachusetts
“Convenient Location, Bad Housekeeping”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Stayed here for a recent business trip. Bathrooms were super tiny, and the sink was the smallest I have ever seen. Housekeeping was the worst I have ever encountered. It was if the hadn't really even gone in the room to clean. Dirty glassware was left as is, the ice machine was broken on the 6th floor, and the room heater was super loud. I couldn't talk on the phone while it was on. It feels like Hilton has kind of given up on this hotel.

On the plus side, if you are working out of Kellogg, this is a super convenient location.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, October 24, 2012
Thank you for your review! I'm sorry that the hotel didn't live up to your expectations, and I have forwarded your message on to the housekeeping and engineering departments to take a look at the ice machine on the sixth floor; thank you for letting us know of the issue. I hope that you give us a second chance if you are ever back in Evanston!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Arabic first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed at the Orriington for an overnight for a wedding on northeast side of Chicago.Requested early arrival, which was convenient for dressing for church. Andy, the valet, greeted at entrance and accomidated us by staging our car for fast departure. He was great. Reserved a 2-Queen bed room. Nicely appointed and roomy, but small clean bathroom (older building). Bed was very comfortable. Would stay again and explore more of the Evanston area.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, October 16, 2012
Thank you for your review! I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time at the wedding and at the hotel. I hope you come back to explore more; Evanston has a lot to offer and our front desk staff always have wonderful recommendations!
Worcester, MA
Reviewed October 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for three nights to see some friends and do a talk at Loyola (which is about 7 minutes away driving) and found it to be excellent! It was everything I want a hotel to be - comfortable bed, range of TV channels, free wifi, fancy and plentiful amenities and a nice room aesthetic. I had a room facing the street on the third floor, right over the entryway. My last night there was a Friday and was a little nervous that it might be too loud given other reviews, but besides a few random "pack of college student roars" and cab horns, it really wasn't a big deal. It didn't go later than about ten and if you're at all used to living in a city, I can't imagine this would be too bothersome. I also didn't have a problem with the bathroom - mine seemed larger than a standard hotel size bathroom, plenty of room to walk around in there. I didn't try the bar or restaurant, or any of the food. There are way too many delicious restaurants close by.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I'm delighted to hear that you had a problem-free stay. I hope that if one of the many universities in the area brings you back that we see you again!
Stonington, Connecticut
Reviewed October 10, 2012

I've been on several trips recently where some one else has selected the hotel and I'm beginning to get leery. This Hilton isn't a bad meeting hotel. The staff are helpful, the rooms are clean and its about what you would expect for a $100+ a night commercial hotel. My only gripe was my room. When I got to the room it was hot and smelled of that commercial fumigant that they use to "deodorize" the rom. When I went to open a window I found that I was eyelevel to a bunch of pigeons roosting under a large AC unit outside my window. Of course the window would have required a brick to open it. Turning off the heat helped one issue but if you want a view and fresh air stay off of the third floor.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for your review! I'm sorry that your room was too hot and stuffy; it sounds like you didn't have a great first impression! Please, in the future, alert the front desk so that we can help solve the problem and/or move you to a new room on a different floor! I hope that you come back in the future and give us another chance!
Bellevue, Washington
Reviewed October 9, 2012

If you're in town without a car, this hotel offers an unbeatable location, with the Northwestern campus a block or so away, downtown Evanston shops and restaurants at your doorstep, and the fabulous CTA "L" nearby to take you just about anywhere in Chicago. The lobby lounge is also very nice, and the beds are wonderfully comfy. Big downside, though, as noted in several other reviews, was the size of the bathroom--especially the sink. It takes the prize for tiniest sink ever seen in a hotel in the Hilton category (or any category, for that matter), and with no counter space, two guests have to be prepared to ferry toiletries in and out. In addition, the heating unit announced its presence in the middle of the night and was so loud we just turned it off on the second night of our stay. Finally, after leaving our four bags with the bellhop after we checked out (since we weren't headed to the airport until 5 p.m.), we came back to the hotel after a day in Chicago and the clerks on duty couldn't locate the bags. They politely asked us to come to the storage room and find them ourselves, which we did. Turns out the numbers on the bags didn't match the numbers on our tickets, but they believed us when we said--truthfully--that the bags were ours. If we stay here again, it will be because of the convenience, and in spite of the Munchkin-sized bathrooms.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your review! I apologize that you found the bathrooms to be small; an option that you may want to look into is booking one of our studio or executive suites, as the bathrooms are significantly larger in these room types. I hope to see you back next time you are in the area!
San Francisco
Reviewed October 5, 2012

My Wife and I went to Evanston to take our daughter to Northwestern. We picked this hotel for its location and indeed it was conveniently located. However, the room was very small and the bathroom was so tiny that we can not put the toiletries bags in the bath room. The breakfast was included in our room rates, but it is only good but less than exciting. Around the corner from the hotel you can find Andy's frozen custard, which is just fabulous, you must try it.

The valet parking is a bit of a hassle due to the wait, be sure to book a package that include Valet parking. We did, but the valet parking fee still showed up in our bill, which they corrected after my protest. The rate was quite high due to the high demand from parents like us during this time of the year. The staff were courteous, when you get them to pick up the phone.

If you have a car you may be better off staying a few miles away in a more modern hotels with bigger rooms.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Thank you for your review! I'm glad that you got to experience Andy's Frozen Custard; it's dangerous having it right around the corner!
Aix-en-Provence, France
Reviewed September 30, 2012 via mobile

We stay there for two nights and we loved it. The rooms are big and quieted. Downtown evanston and the campus are around the corner. Too bad the room service is not non-stop for those who go out drinking;)

• Stayed September 2012
Russ A, General Manager at Hilton Orrington/Evanston, responded to this review, October 2, 2012
Thank you for your review! I am glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evanston
Hyatt House Chicago/Evanston
Hilton Garden Inn Chicago North Shore/Evanston
The Homestead
The Homestead
#5 of 8 in Evanston
Margarita European Inn, an Ascend Hotel Collection Member
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston
DoubleTree by Hilton Chicago North Shore

Been to Hilton Orrington/Evanston? Share your experiences!