The Homestead
  • Restaurant
$152
AscendHotels
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston(Evanston)(Great Value!)
$137
ExtendedStay
$299
$229
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsnorthwestern universitylake michiganone bedroom apartmenthotel validatescity lotdowntown evanstonchain hotelsquiet streetcontinental breakfastsmall apartmenttwo blockswhole foods marketfull kitchenliving roomhard boiled eggshistoric hotelyogurt
Reviewed March 25, 2013

I stayed here with a conference in a room with two twin beds (and a roommate).

The building is lovely. It is older, clean, and charming. It was a bit breezy by the window, but the radiator heat kept everything toasty during my March stay.

There is a decent continental breakfast in the mornings, with pretty good coffee. Free parking (by validation) is available in a city lot a block away. There is a loading zone in front of the hotel so you can loan/unload easily. It is conveniently located - easy to walk to Northwestern U, Garrett-Evangelical Seminary, and the downtown commercial district. Also very close to multiple public transportation options.

The walls are a bit thin, the rooms on the small side, and the elevator slow, but I loved the prices (very affordable), the friendly staff, the charm factor, and the fact that I wasn't supporting a giant hotel chain.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank haparev
Homestead_Hotel, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded April 3, 2013

I loved reading this review! I don’t know if there is a better review than one written by someone who mentions our friendly staff, the charm factor, and that they love that they are not supporting a giant hotel chain! (I have to admit that we love that too, thank you)!
We are unique and we are historic, and we appreciate you mentioning it. Thank you also for mentioning our continental breakfast and our good coffee that kick-started your day.
If you’re craving a little more space to unwind while you’re with us, please take advantage of reserving a suite for a future visit. The prices are still very affordable, but you’ll enjoy more spacious accommodations.
Thank you for mentioning the convenience of our location. Northwestern is only two blocks away, and it is truly a wonderful thing to take a leisurely stroll to the downtown district, the beach, or the campus.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future, thanks again for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

Reviewed February 20, 2013

I wasn't sure what to expect after reading the reviews, but decided to stay at The Homestead anyway. I reserved a "small apartment" with a separate bedroom and kitchen. There were three hot water radiator-heaters in the unit and each worked fine. The place was definitely vintage but reasonably maintained and clean.

My only real complaint is the amazing amount of cold air that blew in through the bathroom window, around the window frame. (It was winter; probably lots of hot air in summer.) Otherwise the location is perfect for someone who cooks; only one block to Whole Foods Market with the hotel parking structure one half block away. I would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Ask for what you want and plan to pay for it. Also reserve early.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
Homestead_Hotel, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thanks for choosing The Homestead! We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience on Tripadvisor. Thank you for mentioning our location, and our close proximity to Whole Foods. You’re absolutely right that this is the perfect place for someone who likes to cook, or who would like the option to cook while visiting; we certainly appreciate you mentioning it! The Homestead is a registered historic place, and as such, we marvel in our vintage charm.
We are sorry to hear of the inconvenience you experienced with cold air during your shower. Please know that had we been made aware of the issue, we would have done our very best to relocate you to a more accommodating suite while addressing the situation.

We look forward to welcoming you back the next time you’re in Evanston!

Reviewed February 20, 2013

Some people like to call it "old world charm". Some people don't find it so charming. The Homestead is old, but it is also clean and cared for.

With beautiful original windows, old scratched up "antique" furniture, I can see how one could find this to be a charming environment. However, what I look for in a hotel is a place where I can sleep well and be ready and fresh the next morning. This is where the hotel fell short for me. There are doors separating my room from two adjacent rooms, and so I can hear rather clearly, people talking in the next room. I can hear them blowing their noses, moving their luggage, etc... it is not subtle.

The bathroom is clean and well cared for. But again, it is old. So when someone in another unit flushes a toilet, you hear the sound of rushing water through the pipes, from your bed. The shower is tiny... so small, in fact, that were you to drop the soap, you would have to step out of the shower to retrieve it.

The bed is relatively comfortable, though a bit old and sunken. It is, however, very clean.

As with most of these old buildings, the Homestead has radiator heat. So you may go to bed thinking the room is cool and wake up in the middle of the night burning up with a dry throat. Anyone who has lived in such a building knows that you have to find a way to make this work... maybe turn the radiator off at night or open the window slightly. But it takes a couple nights to figure it out, and I only stayed here a couple nights.

I remember staying here a few years ago and it hasn't changed much. There is a continental breakfast, which is passable, with strong enough coffee that you don't need to run out in the morning. But again, more then a couple nights and I might start getting anxious.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bo H

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
Our property’s doors officially opened in 1928, establishing our hotel as a historic place in Evanston. Thank you for mentioning the care that is taken with what we believe to be an incredibly special property, in addition to the great job that our housekeeping and maintenance team does to ensure a clean and inviting place to welcome our traveling guests.

Due to the historic nature of the building, there are a very limited amount of guest rooms that are exclusively equipped with showers. We recognize that some guests may find traditional bathtubs to be more preferable. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced regarding this. In the future, if we are made aware of your preference, we will do our very best to accommodate your request.

Additionally, please note that in the event you ever feel that your mattress is not as comfortable as it should be, please let us know so that we can take action and make the necessary replacement. We recognize the value of a wonderful night's rest, and want to make sure that your stay with us is as relaxing as possible.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and value your honest feedback.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The only thing this place had going for it was convenience as we have family close by. We had a problem with noise from the next room, the room above and outside. The bathroom was so tight and poorly configured that it was hard to use. The breakfast is not worth it at all -- you're better off going down the street to Peets. Don't get me wrong, it was not a miserable 2 nights, but I see no reason to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R A
Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was a pleasant surprise when we walked into our room with a view of Lake Michigan. The Homestead is a long time hotel in downtown Evanston, but on our many visits we had not stayed before. The suite was charming, with a small kitchen, living room and bedroom. Plenty of closets too. The hotel provides a very good continental breakfast, free parking and internet. Furniture is older, almost antique, adding to the charm. The rooms are quiet and comfortable even on the very cold days we were there. One suggestion to the hotel is that they upgrade the beds and bedding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lake Michigan
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family