The Homestead
  • Restaurant
$152
AscendHotels
  • Breakfast included
Holiday Inn Chicago North Evanston(Evanston)(Great Value!)
$137
Hampton.com
$81
ExtendedStay
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnorthwestern universitylake michiganone bedroom apartmenthotel validatescity lotdowntown evanstonchain hotelsquiet streetcontinental breakfastsmall apartmenttwo blockswhole foods marketfull kitchenliving roomhard boiled eggshistoric hotelyogurt
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Some people like to call it "old world charm". Some people don't find it so charming. The Homestead is old, but it is also clean and cared for.

With beautiful original windows, old scratched up "antique" furniture, I can see how one could find this to be a charming environment. However, what I look for in a hotel is a place where I can sleep well and be ready and fresh the next morning. This is where the hotel fell short for me. There are doors separating my room from two adjacent rooms, and so I can hear rather clearly, people talking in the next room. I can hear them blowing their noses, moving their luggage, etc... it is not subtle.

The bathroom is clean and well cared for. But again, it is old. So when someone in another unit flushes a toilet, you hear the sound of rushing water through the pipes, from your bed. The shower is tiny... so small, in fact, that were you to drop the soap, you would have to step out of the shower to retrieve it.

The bed is relatively comfortable, though a bit old and sunken. It is, however, very clean.

As with most of these old buildings, the Homestead has radiator heat. So you may go to bed thinking the room is cool and wake up in the middle of the night burning up with a dry throat. Anyone who has lived in such a building knows that you have to find a way to make this work... maybe turn the radiator off at night or open the window slightly. But it takes a couple nights to figure it out, and I only stayed here a couple nights.

I remember staying here a few years ago and it hasn't changed much. There is a continental breakfast, which is passable, with strong enough coffee that you don't need to run out in the morning. But again, more then a couple nights and I might start getting anxious.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Bo H
Homestead_Hotel, Director of Sales at The Homestead, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2013

Thank you for sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.
Our property’s doors officially opened in 1928, establishing our hotel as a historic place in Evanston. Thank you for mentioning the care that is taken with what we believe to be an incredibly special property, in addition to the great job that our housekeeping and maintenance team does to ensure a clean and inviting place to welcome our traveling guests.

Due to the historic nature of the building, there are a very limited amount of guest rooms that are exclusively equipped with showers. We recognize that some guests may find traditional bathtubs to be more preferable. We apologize for any inconvenience you may have experienced regarding this. In the future, if we are made aware of your preference, we will do our very best to accommodate your request.

Additionally, please note that in the event you ever feel that your mattress is not as comfortable as it should be, please let us know so that we can take action and make the necessary replacement. We recognize the value of a wonderful night's rest, and want to make sure that your stay with us is as relaxing as possible.

We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience, and value your honest feedback.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

The only thing this place had going for it was convenience as we have family close by. We had a problem with noise from the next room, the room above and outside. The bathroom was so tight and poorly configured that it was hard to use. The breakfast is not worth it at all -- you're better off going down the street to Peets. Don't get me wrong, it was not a miserable 2 nights, but I see no reason to stay here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank R A
Reviewed January 24, 2013

It was a pleasant surprise when we walked into our room with a view of Lake Michigan. The Homestead is a long time hotel in downtown Evanston, but on our many visits we had not stayed before. The suite was charming, with a small kitchen, living room and bedroom. Plenty of closets too. The hotel provides a very good continental breakfast, free parking and internet. Furniture is older, almost antique, adding to the charm. The rooms are quiet and comfortable even on the very cold days we were there. One suggestion to the hotel is that they upgrade the beds and bedding.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing Lake Michigan
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank lotsotripsneedsleep
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Pros: great, safe location close to shops, restaurants, Northwestern, and lake. Our huge 2 bd/2 ba suite included an immaculate kitchenette with a chandelier, a huge living area, and a walk-in closet, for less $$ than 2 rooms at the Hilton Garden. Free wi-fi, free continental breakfast (good and fresh), and homey touches (assorted books in the room’s bookshelves). Staff is wonderful. Despite a conference staying there, it was surprisingly quiet. Nice, peaceful breakfast nook area with fireplace doubles as bar at night with good drinks.

Cons: needs updating, starting with the slow, tiny elevator’s stained carpet and scratched walls. Wallpaper in the hallways needs replacing, beds are rather mushy. In our room classic, timeless furniture clashed with other furnishings that are dated/worn beyond salvation, and a faded picture sat in a broken frame. There are no King beds, just Queens & Twins, though there is plenty of space for a roll-away twin or two. One of our 2 showers had no lighting. Hot water ran out one morning. Some windows whistled in the wind. It was tricky regulating the heat in too-warm rooms at night.

Parking is a block away, but validated for free.

The Homestead is for you if you seek a spacious, homey place with some character at a very reasonable cost. If you prefer modern uniformity, not so much. It wouldn’t take much updating to bump the Homestead to 4 or 5 stars easily; it has great bones! Of course, then they could charge boutique prices.

2 nearby places we recommend:
Bennison’s Bakery, 1000 Davis Street is worth a stop. Great cakes, brownies, and much more. About 4.5 blocks West of The Homestead.

Gigio’s Pizzareia, 1001 Davis St. Good, cheap, thin crust pizza by the slice or pie, and tacos. Pizza AND tacos?! My teens were in heaven. Across from Bennison’s Bakery.

Room Tip: Higher floors have view of Lake Michigan.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The Homestead was perfect for my 2 week business trip to Evanston. I stayed in a one bedroom apartment that included everything I needed, living room, full kitchen, bedroom and more closet space than I knew what to do with. The location is perfect! It's just a short walk to downtown for shopping and dining. The staff at The Homestead are very friendly and helpful...some of the best staff I've encountered in my business travel. I loved the historical architecture of the building as well. They also have a very nice fine dining restaurant, The Quince. Try their New York Strip...excellent! I highly recommend The Homestead for your next stay in Evanston.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business